Political Hippo Circle Jerk - America, farg YEAH!

Started by PoopyfaceMcGee, December 11, 2006, 01:30:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MDS

im not really sure if that narrative is backed up in fact. yes, there are some reliable dem voters that will revolt if its sanders. just like there were some reliable repub voters that revolted for trump. but bernie will bring in scores of off the books independents, register new voters and clean up with 18-24 year olds who are prone to sit things out unless they feel they have a reason

he changes the electorate. we tried a moderate establishment candidate, in fact the poster child, and she lost. no matter who it is, its 55-45ish the good side loses. sanders and biden and klob all run about the same all in all. again, i will regretfully ride for the dude who has the passionate mob of internet hungry hungry hippos.

heres another key thing: turnout was higher than in 16 and is likely going to be higher than 08. people are ready to go. they hate trump.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Munson

The truth is Warren was (is?) the best bet to bring out the most from both sides of the party. She's the one Bernie stans tolerate the most, and she comes off as less gruff and angry and not as radical as Bernie to the more moderate side of the party. But unfortunately she's a strong willed woman who knows more than most of the men that would vote for her and that's intimidating to them. And of course people still act like she actively chose to lie about being Native American instead of realizing a woman in her late 60's was told long before DNA tests existed that she came from a Native American family.
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

Eagles_Legendz

Quote from: MDS on February 11, 2020, 11:29:21 PM
im not really sure if that narrative is backed up in fact. yes, there are some reliable dem voters that will revolt if its sanders. just like there were some reliable repub voters that revolted for trump. but bernie will bring in scores of off the books independents, register new voters and clean up with 18-24 year olds who are prone to sit things out unless they feel they have a reason

he changes the electorate. we tried a moderate establishment candidate, in fact the poster child, and she lost. no matter who it is, its 55-45ish the good side loses. sanders and biden and klob all run about the same all in all. again, i will regretfully ride for the dude who has the passionate mob of internet hungry hungry hippos.

heres another key thing: turnout was higher than in 16 and is likely going to be higher than 08. people are ready to go. they hate trump.

I respectfully disagree with everything in this post.

Eagles_Legendz

MDS

Quote from: Eagles_Legendz on February 11, 2020, 11:36:04 PMI respectfully disagree with everything in this post.

look at this discourse !

my choices went warren-harris-booker-klob-sanders. i am not in the tank for bernie. but i cant see how its *not* him so you either ride or die for the bros. his vp of pick of random black woman will help a lot with those moderates, too.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Munson

Quote from: Eagles_Legendz on February 11, 2020, 11:37:54 PM
Also, Bernie gave a good speech tonight.

Starting off with the unity message of supporting whoever the candidate is was a smart move.

Like Todd, Liz was my top choice just because I think her ideas are overall better and she'd probably be a better leader/run the bureaucracy better than Bernie will, so I'm not some hardcore Berner, but I think the media has scared a lot of people into thinking he's gonna chase all the moderates away but I just don't see that happening.

And yes his black female VP will help. Stacy Abrams probably?
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

MDS

abrams, duckworth, val demings

tammy isnt black, shes asian, but shes a new mom and a war hero. val is in her 60s and stacy, while younger, has no kids. so it sort of depends where you want to go. duckworth checks a lot of boxes and would probably do the best at connecting with suburban women that are going to be lukewarm on bernie. stacy is the top pick if youre looking to rally the black vote

ice grillin you

Quote from: Eagles_Legendz on February 11, 2020, 11:36:04 PM
Quote from: MDS on February 11, 2020, 11:29:21 PM

I respectfully disagree with everything in this post.

probably because theres like 8 falsities in it
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Diomedes

QuoteI don't know how you fix that issue.

It's the Achilles heel of the liberal branch of any body politic in a free society.  The mindset underneath is too open to new ideas, too independent from orthodoxy, too accepting of differences, for the group at large to act as one.  The opposition does not suffer from any of that.  They are lockstep non-thinkers and move as one.  It's a huge problem for us liberals.

The only "fix" for the issue imho is the rarest of solutions:  a personality of surpassing popularity who can reel in several (all is not possible) of the different groups for what usually turns out to be a vanishingly small period of time.  Without such a figure, the question now is, will the spectre of a historically disastrous opponent drive these voters to support whoever it is? 
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

phattymatty

it's going to come down to bernie and for the moderate crowd, surprisingly bloomberg.

it's hard to see because he's not out there on the debate stages or at the caucuses but the organization he's doing on the ground right now has never been seen before other than trump.   he's got focus groups going on every issue when no other dem candidate is right now. not to mention my friends in the ad industry are convinced that he's going to win.  he's the #1 choice for anyone whose main issue is gun control. i thought his stop and frisk policy would hurt him but two different baby boomer black ladies in my office both said his apology is good enough and that all of them have "racist baggage".  that's just two people but it wouldn't surprise me if that's common.

he wouldn't be my choice but I see him being more of a player than i thought weeks ago.

ice grillin you

bernie came in 4th in nh in college educated women

i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Munson

Matty ain't wrong about Bloomberg's org. Dude has general election amounts of staffers and people hired right now. It's insane.

Munson

https://twitter.com/jason_a_w/status/1227412706170245120

Lol remember when like 7 of the hundreds of hate crimes ended up being false flags and the MAGA folks declared they must all be hoaxes?

Munson

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/1227356047951704064

Also Dem turnout last night was above 2008's record. With big caveat that there was not a competitive GOP primary going on, which meant a lot of undeclared/independents weren't sucked into the GOP primary instead. But it's still...pretty good.
https://twitter.com/WinWithJMC/status/1227638060579532800

Munson

For comparison's sake, 2012 GOP primary that didn't have a competitive Dem primary going on got 249K voters