Soccer

Started by Diomedes, July 09, 2009, 06:59:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diomedes

No one wants to play a soccer game in February either.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Rome

Except every other league on the planet who play in ... wait for it ...  February. 

ice grillin you

there are other leagues in cold areas of the northern hemisphere that play in their respective winter times?
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

QB Eagles

I love promotion and relegation but it's a complete nonstarter in a league that is minimally financially viable as it is.

MDS

Quote from: ice grillin you on November 25, 2020, 04:56:05 PM
there are other leagues in cold areas of the northern hemisphere that play in their respective winter times?

swedish league playing right now...the world football calendar typically does leagues aug-may and summer tournaments/qualification. so every country, even where it doesnt make sense, follows suit. except for the us.

Quote from: QB Eagles on November 25, 2020, 05:09:48 PM
I love promotion and relegation but it's a complete nonstarter in a league that is minimally financially viable as it is.

i want it for all sports but it basically a death sentence for whoever gets relegated. nobody is buying tickets for a 2nd division mls team
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

ice grillin you

how do they play soccer in the snow?...its excruciatingly boring anyway and then they gotta run around in snow and ice trying to kick a ball....or are places that play in the winter all indoor stadiums?

Geowhizzer

Quote from: MDS on November 25, 2020, 05:37:27 PM
i want it for all sports but it basically a death sentence for whoever gets relegated. nobody is buying tickets for a 2nd division mls team

By now the Phillies would be in little league.

MDS

Quote from: ice grillin you on November 25, 2020, 05:42:31 PM
how do they play soccer in the snow?...its excruciatingly boring anyway and then they gotta run around in snow and ice trying to kick a ball....or are places that play in the winter all indoor stadiums?

nordic countries have to be real good at snow removal so they can probably get a clean pitch relatively quickly. theyll play through a smaller storm. the usmnt played in one against costa rica a few cycles back and it was basically an international incident (for them, didnt much register here)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9xuaQDkmL8&ab_channel=U.S.Soccer

Quote from: Geowhizzer on November 25, 2020, 05:48:30 PM
Quote from: MDS on November 25, 2020, 05:37:27 PM

By now the Phillies would be in little league.

phillies vs. taney at fdr park field d
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

ice grillin you

the Washington NWSL team drafted Dennis Rodman's daughter number two overall in their draft today

Diomedes

She didn't want to join the North Korean professional women's soccer league?  They pay with coupons at the rice and dust commissary, and bootleg minis of Hennessy.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Don Ho

"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.

Rome

Manchester United fans were not having it today.  They've had enough of the Glazers.   Amazingly enough the reporters covering it are completely clueless about their reaction.

ice grillin you

how bad is soccer culture?...you might actually root for owners over fans

Diomedes

Nah.  Hooligans have the right of it here.  farg the Americans and their money..

Rome

Yep.  They were wrong to breach the stadium but they're a million percent right about the Glazers and the nonstop greed and associated money grubbing that goes on there by them.