NFL Combine '06 and Pro Days

Started by MURP, February 02, 2006, 01:47:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhillyPhanInDC

Quick hits from Indy: Day 1     
By Gil Brandt
NFL.com Senior Analyst

INDIANAPOLIS (Feb. 23, 2006) -- There were 83 guys scheduled to report yesterday and all 83 came. Their first official function was a Welcome Dinner at 6 p.m. Jeff Foster, the president of National Combine Inc, Charley Casserly (Houston Texans), Eddie White (Reebok) and Steve Alic (NFL) were all there. Casserly gave a speech that was as good as any I've ever heard as to why a draft hopeful should work out at the Scouting Combine, including how much it means money-wise. Anyone who listened to the speech had to take a lot away from it.

Today, rise and shine was at 6 a.m. when the players lined up for the drug test. When that was completed, they came over to the RCA Dome to get their measurements for height, weight, hands and arm length, Then they were off for their physicals.

Here are some of the superlatives from that group:

Tackles

Tallest: Dennis Roland, Georgia, 6-foot-9 5/8
Heaviest: Charles Spencer, Pittsburgh, 352 pounds
Longest arms: Rashad Butler, Miami, 36 inches; Terrence Pennington, New Mexico, 36 inches
Biggest hands: Kevin Boothe, Cornell, 11 1/8 inches

Guards

Tallest: Dan Stevenson, Notre Dame, 6-foot-5 1/8
Heaviest: Max Jean-Gilles, Georgia, 355 pounds
Longest arms: Davin Joseph, Oklahoma, 35 1/8 inches
Biggest hands: Davin Joseph, Oklahoma, 11 1/4 inches

Centers

Tallest: Ryan Cook, New Mexico, 6-foot-6 5/8
Heaviest: Ryan Cook, New Mexico, 328 pounds
Longest arms: Mike Degory, Florida, 34 inches
Biggest hands: Nick Mangold, Ohio State, 10 3/8 inches

Running backs (first group)

Tallest: Gilbert Harris, Arizona, 6-foot-1 5/8
Shortest: Maurice Drew, UCLA, 5-foot-6 3/4
Heaviest: Gilbert Harris, Arizona, 235 pounds
Lightest: Reggie Bush, USC, 201 pounds; Brian Calhoun, Wisconsin, 201 pounds; Jerome Harrison, Washington St., 201 pounds

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.""  R.I.P George.

Feva

QuoteRunning backs (first group)

Tallest: Gilbert Harris, Arizona, 6-foot-1 5/8
Shortest: Maurice Drew, UCLA, 5-foot-6 3/4
Heaviest: Gilbert Harris, Arizona, 235 pounds
Lightest: Reggie Bush, USC, 201 pounds; Brian Calhoun, Wisconsin, 201 pounds; Jerome Harrison, Washington St., 201 pounds

GET DREW!!
"Now I'm completing up the other half of that triangle" - Emmitt Smith on joining Troy Aikman and Michael Irvin in the Hall of Fame

"If you have sex with a prostitute against her will, is that considered rape or shoplifting?" -- 2 Live Stews

rjs246

Pretty soon all of the Eagles' RBs will be small enough to run between the legs of the linemen trying to tackle them. It'll be like Darby O'Gill and the little people.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

Wingspan

Quote from: rjs246 on February 23, 2006, 01:46:29 PM
Pretty soon all of the Eagles' RBs will be small enough to run between the legs of the linemen trying to tackle them. It'll be like Darby O'Gill and the little people.

cram it, frenchy
Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

PoopyfaceMcGee

I think a dark horse draft candidate for the Eagles is Vernon Davis.  Discuss...

rjs246

I've already said that it that draft a TE early I'll farging lose it.

Let them eat bootstraps.

PoopyfaceMcGee

The farger can actually block, unlike your boy L.J.  Plus, it would free Smith to play more of a WR/TE swing position, which he's much better suited for.  But hey... if you like watching L.J. wave at LB's as they go to make a play...

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: FFatPatt on February 24, 2006, 04:53:21 AM
I think a dark horse draft candidate for the Eagles is Vernon Davis.  Discuss...

I agree. It isn't out of the question that they'd stay at 14 and draft him if the top OTs are gone by then.

I wouldn't hate it if they did draft him. A playmaker is a playmaker.

But my current wish and hope and probable fascination for the time being is that the Jets are really in love with Cutler and draft him at 4. They'd be dumb, but their ignorance could be our gain.

It could cause DaBrick to slip. And if he's there at #7 then trading up would be a thing to do. Or else I'd riot at the NovaCare

rjs246

QuoteThe farger can actually block, unlike your boy L.J.  Plus, it would free Smith to play more of a WR/TE swing position, which he's much better suited for.  But hey... if you like watching L.J. wave at LB's as they go to make a play...

Hey man, no one wants RBs, FBs and TEs who can block to be added to this offense more than I do, but you can get a serviceable blocking/receiving tight end without throwing a farging first rounder at the position. Third round at the earliest. And even that would be a bit much since they already have a 'weapon' TE.

Let them eat bootstraps.

phattymatty

I wouldn't mind Vernon Davis at all, in fact I think it would be a great pick.  Immediately makes our passing game better as he would already have the best hands on the team.

Watched the dude in the skills competition the other day and his hands were fantastic.

Zanshin

Anyone who gets the dreaded "best hands" tag on this team is instantly worthless.

General_Failure

I hope it's Pinkston this year.

The man. The myth. The legend.

rjs246

Careful what you wish for, smart guy. That would leave Brown and Lewis as the saters again...

Let them eat bootstraps.

General_Failure

Aha! So you already know deep down that we're not getting a single receiver this offseason. Drink yourself to oblivion now, you're going to need it.

The man. The myth. The legend.

rjs246

'saters' = 'starters' in poopoocaca speak.

Let them eat bootstraps.