Haason Reddick, Philadelphia Eagle

Started by PhillyPhreak54, March 14, 2022, 02:40:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don Ho

Reddick with the big Fred Flinstone club is going to be cool looking!
"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.

SunMo

Traded to the Jets for a conditional 3rd that can turn into a 2nd.

Dumb dumb dumb
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

Geowhizzer

... in 2026.

Mistake, in my opinion. 

PhillyPhreak54

SD

Would have preferred he just played the final season and bounced than that trade. Maybe they sign Justin Simmons now

PhillyPhreak54

Huff better be a double digit guy and maybe Nolan Smith can actually see the field and do something

Don Ho

Bad Friday - That shteinshow at the Bank and then I see this.

Nolan Smith is Nakobe Jr. Huff?  Who knows.

NEXT!
"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.

Eagaholic

I just can't see the logic in this. Was there behind the scenes stuff going on? Was he a terrorist off the field as well as on? Sure he went down the tubes like the rest of the D but it is pretty hard to swim against the swirl. They had 9 farging captains going into the season (Reddick wasn't one, which I took as a poor omen). They were supposed to teach the young guys how to go about being a professional, how prepare for the long NFL season, how to 'handle adversity' which will inevitably come up blah blah blah. And they were a pathetic fail there. Nothing worse than just giving up, in a playoff game no less. Reddick was imo the most clutch player on that whole unit. Sweat and Nolan Smith did nothing and BG probably retires this year. Why not keep Reddick at a bargain price since they are basically getting nothing in return?   

Diomedes

Reddick wanted a big payday and has the performance to back it up.  But the Eagles were not going to give him one. 

The Jets are willing to take on his $14.5M cost for this season and give him a new deal.

Seems to me a high liklihood that the trade returns a 2nd rounder according to the the tweeters on the intarwebs.

Meh.  The way I read it, this could be win/win/win for both teams and the player.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Eagaholic

That's what a lot of the conventional thinking seems to be now.

But the Eagles still had Reddick for this year at a very team friendly salary, which they have space for, apparently. Why give him away for next to nothing (a 3rd round pick that could become a 2 in some future century, even though if they kept him, he may well bring a 3rd round comp pick anyway after this season, when his contract is up anyway. And then they'd have the tag option still available). To me the Birds could go really up or into decline, but to go up you need guys like Reddick. If Josh Sweat and Nolan Smith suck again, and BG retires, what do you have left at the end of the year? Huff, maybe?? It's just imo he's a playmaker at crucial times and you don't let that go.   

MDS

reddick was not going to play this year out on this deal. there is nothing to be gained by having an unhappy employee.

its an anti climactic ending to the whole thing but they essentially traded a 30 year old for a 25 year old and got a 2nd/3rd back
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Diomedes

Quote from: Eagaholic on March 29, 2024, 09:41:38 PMBut the Eagles still had Reddick for this year at a very team friendly salary

I think this is where you're mistaken.  Sure, they had a piece of paper that says that.  But Reddick has no interest in playing for so little.  He didn't go to the press to say he'll sit out, but he made it clear to the team that he needs a new deal in order to play.  With four consecutive double digit sack seasons, etc...he's got that leverage.  The Eagles FO decided they weren't interested in giving him a top of market Edge deal, so...instead of going to the press themselves, they worked out a place to send him that has a chance to be a fit for everyone.  Looks like a sign of good team management to me.  I don't think he's telling other players that the team farged him over on his way out.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Eagaholic

This is where I think many in the league are mistaken. Reddick, like the rest of the D, had a disgraceful ending to the season. As a group, the D especially was gutless. Granted there were a lot of injuries and coaching problems, but you always have to give it everything you can, especially in a playoff game. Howie is a player's GM, generally giving more than fair contracts and creating player friendly conditions. But when they lose like this they give up any right to be coddled.

In reality Reddick has no leverage. He can play or sit. He's in a contract year so if he plays like shtein because he's 'unhappy' he doesn't get a good contract anyway in '25, takes a rep hit, and could still be tagged and traded later. I hope Howie made a reasonable offer to give him a bump this year because Reddick has otherwise been so good and certainly merits that. Maybe make him the 10th captain and say glowing things about him to the press to help with player ego management, which can go a long way. But you can't let that go to far in letting the tail wag the dog. This team could devolve into a decade of mediocrity or bounce back to a legit contender, and it will be up to the players themselves more than anything.   

Diomedes

Eagaholic

Exactly. Which is why the millionaires and billionaires sign on the same contractual dotted line.