Jim Johnson needs to go...

Started by Wingspan, October 16, 2006, 12:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wingspan

Through 6 games...this defense has been bad at the worst times. The offense is by far carrying this team and making up for the complete lack of focus on this defense. Other than the Houston and Green Bay games, the other two wins have been because of the leads the offense built up that the opponents just couldnt catch up. The two losses have come due to defensive colapses...It's time for him to call it a career. He is constantly overmatched and cought with his pants down. This defense relies too heavily on the big play. And everything that made his defenses in the past stand out, are turning into liabilities today. And it's happened since the superbowl.

First look at when the scores are let up, this team is either unprepared and taken by surprise, or they just can't get it together in the end of the game, here's how this breaks down

1st Quarter
18 Opponent Possesions
9 Punts
3 Turnovers
4 TDs
2 Fgs
2nd & 3rd Quarters
38 Opponent Possesions
21 Punts
7 Turnovers
4 TDs
5 FGs + 1 Missed FG
4th Quarter + Overtime
17 Opponent Possesions
6 Punts
4 Turnovers
4 TDs
2 FGs

* End of halfs not counted, and 4th down stops are counted as turnovers.

Basically, the eagles have let up more TDs in the 1st and 4th, than the 2nd and 3rd.

Statistically they rank :
24th in total yards
14th in rush yards
27th in pass yards
18th in 3rd down % allowed
29th in penalties

30th in 1st downs allowed

32nd in overall plays allowed (slightly skewed due to playing ever week and a high power offense)
They rank high in turnovers and sacks. (7th in INTs #1 in sacks)

The constant rotations and subtitutions. When they work, it's ok barely. But the players are constantly out of gas when they are stuck on the field for more than 5 or 6 plays. Through the first 6 games, an ungodly amout of drives over 7 plays end up in scores.

31 Opponent Drives have lasted 7 plays or more.
16 have resulted in scores. (+ 1 Missed FG)
4 Turnovers
10 Punts

It doesn't help that Michael Lewis forgets how to play football, Jeramiah Trotter has never been worse in pass coverage, and sheldon brown has seemed to lose all ability to make a tackle, let alone a big play. This defense is completely undisiplined and unorganized and relies soley on a big play (turnover or sack) to get the ball back into the offense instead of playing sound defense.

Through 6 games, there has been 31 7+ play drives, and only 19 3 and Outs.

Flat out pathetic.

Johnson has been figured out, the blitz is ineffective. Yet Johnson calls them up when everyone knows they are coming. He's not taking anyone by surprise anymore. The birds need to move on, and bring a better base defense to the table. And stop relying on these overly complicated blitz packages that just dont work consistantly. Otherwise this team will not do a thing in the playoffs.
Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

Diomedes

This is a thread worth discussion, all you Pollyanna motherfargers.  Take notes. 
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

mussa

Official Sponsor of The Fire Andy Reid Club
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

Sgt PSN

So are we actually going to discuss it or just 'ooh and ahh' at Wingspan's work? 

I'm a huge JJ fan.....I think most of us are.  But I gotta agree and say that it's time for him to be put out to pasture.  I'm not calling for him to be canned today because I don't think it would be wise to fire him mid-season, but Reid definately needs to be scouting a new DC for next year though. 

He's been a great DC, but as already stated, other teams have basically figured him out and he simply can't adjust. 

hbionic

Wingspan, I've felt like this, althought not asking for his head at the time, that in the Superbowl, he got married to the blitz at the wrong times. Deion Branch and some of the screens in the 3rd qtr kind of killed is in the big game.

Vs. Dallas on 4th and 18, I had that sinking feeling that something wrong was going to happen.

If the blitz isn't working...isn't our coverage supposed to be decent enough to force the other team to make plays instead of us giving them big plays? Our coaching staff more than anyone should know our own player's weaknesses and its hard for me to believe that they have been ignoring Michael Lewis's lack of brain.

I agree with you Wingspan...but the only thing that I would be concerned about is who would replace him. I still think he's better than most...but I guess based on some of those numbers....maybe he's not.
I said watch the game and you will see my spirit manifest.-ILLEAGLE 02/04/05

Diomedes

Quote from: Sgt PSN on October 16, 2006, 01:00:14 PM
So are we actually going to discuss it or just 'ooh and ahh' at Wingspan's work?

I'm not yet capable of much more than 'farg everyone.'  So for now, that's what I plan to contribue.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Wingspan

he was, at one point. but no longer.

this team has an extremely potent offense, that after it's all said and done i really can't and dont complain about side of the ball.

However, i see this playing out like the Cheifs of a few years ago where they could score almost at will, but also couldnt stop a damn thing. The defense needs to be better.
Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

hbionic

Also Wingspan, the Greenbay game was a bit of a fluke. Green Bay, like us gave breaks to the opponent's defense. If it wasn't for a few dropped balls by Green Bay, they could have easily scored on us and possibly be in a position to win as well.

Wingspan

this isnt a knee jerk reaction to yesterday. this whole thing has been going on since 04.

even last season, the defense was...for the most part...completely healther (minus Lito) and sucked.
Connection Problems

SunMo

i agree with wing for the most part, however, i think that this defense is not as talented as we once believed or would like to believe.

Dawkins is still good, but no longer great
Lewis is awful at pass coverage, solid against the run
Sheldon and Lito are to dependent on the quarterback not being able to scan the defense, set his feet, and throw a good ball
Trotter is what he is, good against the run, awful againt the pass
It's too early to tell with McCoy, but Dhani, ha!
starting ends are very good, the tackles are more pass rushing tackles and get blown off the ball way too much.  is Bunkley even playing?

i agree that the blitzes are no longer effective.  part of that is due to familiarity by the other teams, no doubt.  but i thought last year, they don't have good blitzers anymore, outside of Dawkins and occasionally Lewis off the edge.  too many times i see a big time blitz and Hood or Hansen or Ware (last year) were running up the back of a d lineman or linebacker.  those 2001-2003 defenses had very good blitzers, who knew how to get to the QB, they don't have as many anymore.
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

hbionic

Way to nail it SunMo on the Sheldon and Lito. Couldn't have said it better.

Sgt PSN

Quote from: Diomedes on October 16, 2006, 01:07:07 PM
Quote from: Sgt PSN on October 16, 2006, 01:00:14 PM

I'm not yet capable of much more than 'farg everyone.' So for now, that's what I plan to contribue.

Well........keep up the good work.

LBIggle

also a good point on the blitzers.  i just think he doesn't have personal to run his defense anymore.

Zanshin

Yeah, that's a tough call.  Chicken or the egg?  The tough thing is that to this point I don't think that Johnson has schemed well enough to account for the individual shortcomings of the defensive players.  He's still calling plays like he has the parts he needs...and at this point, he doesn't.  It's no secret that Lewis is killing us against the pass, but the overall depth in the secondary is too shallow to accommodate what he wants to do.

Sgt PSN

Quote from: Zanshin on October 16, 2006, 02:24:26 PM
Yeah, that's a tough call. Chicken or the egg? The tough thing is that to this point I don't think that Johnson has schemed well enough to account for the individual shortcomings of the defensive players. He's still calling plays like he has the parts he needs...and at this point, he doesn't. It's no secret that Lewis is killing us against the pass, but the overall depth in the secondary is too shallow to accommodate what he wants to do.

I see what you're saying about him not having all the right parts to fit his scheme.  But rarely will a coach ever have ALL the right parts.  I will say that I think this is probably the least talented defense he's had to work with in terms of overall talent.  But even though he doesn't have all the right parts, I think a great coach will be able to tailor his scheme to best fit what he's got to work with.  Either Johnson's not doing that or he's just not getting it right.