Media Coverage

Started by Zanshin, August 16, 2005, 09:15:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanshin

So, I'm on the Red Zone this morning, sifting through the reports/columns on last night's game.  And it really sticks out that the overall tone of the coverage is even more doom-and-gloom than usual. 

I mean, did the reporters watch anything other than the first couple of plays?  Are they just trying to stoke the T.O. fires some more?

Last time I checked, the preseason was an opportunity to get in sync and to see younger players in specific game situations.  So, the value of the game is more in individual plays than it is a collaborative game-strategy exercise.

Special teams looked like junk, absolutely.  But there were quite a number of positives, too.  And the whole "camp was chaos, so the team is in disarray and it shows" stuff is crap.  I mean, when's the last time the Eagles looked really sharp in preseason action?  They always look pretty much like they did last night.

The media is getting more retarded all the time.  Really bothers me, because I think the agenda they have is to create and/or prolong negative coverage...and that flies in the face of actual journalism.

PhillyGirl

Yup, read the articles all over the place and all were saying the Eagles are in big, big trouble. Even on Comcast SportNet...on the SportsRise show...they were making it out to seem like they sucked up the joint.

I especially liked it when the idiot anchor called Chris Samp, Chris STAMP.

Its your hometown team and you can't get the name right? farging toolbag.
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

MadMarchHare

In the media's defense, this is from Sheridan:

QuoteLook, it's ridiculous to overreact to this game either way. If you kicked in the TV after that horrendous beginning - the Steelers scored two touchdowns before their offense took the field - you're not going to make it through the season. If you think Reggie Brown can step in and be T.O. right away, you're just not being realistic.
Anyone but Reid.

PhillyGirl

Quote from: MadMarchHare on August 16, 2005, 09:21:47 AM
In the media's defense, this is from Sheridan:

QuoteLook, it's ridiculous to overreact to this game either way. If you kicked in the TV after that horrendous beginning - the Steelers scored two touchdowns before their offense took the field - you're not going to make it through the season. If you think Reggie Brown can step in and be T.O. right away, you're just not being realistic.

Sheridan, when he's not kissing the Eagles' FO's collective asses, is a pretty good writer.
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

Seabiscuit36

On 1290am the Ticket here in DE the morning show is The First Team on Fox with Steve Czaban and Scott Linn were boggled by how so many other media outlets think the eagles are in trouble without TO and how so many media morons were saying that the eagles will lose 8 game this year.  They felt the eagles despite they're WR's being young the eagles have always had ok receivers who fit well into the scheme.  They compared the Star WR to a car.  The star receiver would be the Blaupunkt stereo with woofers and tweeters while the factory stereo still would get the job done. 
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

MURP

what Z, finally realizing the Philly Sports media is awful?  ;)

MURP

just to get the daily Eckel rip in:

QuoteWith Todd Pinkston out for the year with a ruptured Achilles' tendon and Terrell Owens out until tomorrow when he brings his circus back to town, the trio of Greg Lewis, rookie Reggie Brown and Billy McMullen were impressive.

Other than that, it was a disaster.

he then goes on to all the bad plays.     :-D

PhillyGirl

What was a disaster other than the ST?

Anyone?

Bueller?

ice grillin you

On 1290am the Ticket here in DE the morning show is The First Team on Fox with Steve Czaban and Scott Linn

linn is from philly and huge eagles fan...im surprised at czaban though....hes a huge taterskins fan...tho hardly biased...hes the guy that bashed joe gibbs so much last year on washington sports radio that gibbs boycotted the station
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

BigEd76

PhillyGirl

Quote from: BigEd76 on August 16, 2005, 10:13:01 AM
Quote from: PhillyGirl on August 16, 2005, 09:40:05 AM

Detmer

And we all know that if McNabb ever got seriously hurt, Koy would finish the game and McMahon would be the starter for the next, so I don't see how that's really a disaster.

ice grillin you

i thought the pass protection was weak...but by no means a disaster

the game was a success...theres no way you can argue against that
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

MadMarchHare

That was my only real concern, that even the starting Oline still struggles with the 3-4 alignment.  Especially Honeybuns.
Anyone but Reid.

TempleOwl

Quote from: Seabiscuit36 on August 16, 2005, 09:31:46 AM
On 1290am the Ticket here in DE the morning show is The First Team on Fox with Steve Czaban and Scott Linn were boggled by how so many other media outlets think the eagles are in trouble without TO and how so many media morons were saying that the eagles will lose 8 game this year.  They felt the eagles despite they're WR's being young the eagles have always had ok receivers who fit well into the scheme.  They compared the Star WR to a car.  The star receiver would be the Blaupunkt stereo with woofers and tweeters while the factory stereo still would get the job done. 

The Wilmington News Journal also gave a pretty even and realistic accounting of the game.  One thing I noticed was the starting WR tandem being really, really open against the Steeler's first team, very good defense.  I thought that was a key.  Our ST always suck in preseason, they are trying guys out there who may not make the team otherwise.  Also, our real punter wasn't playing.  Donovan's INT looked like a WR screw up to me.  All-in-all our offense scored 31 points theirs scored 17.  I thought that even the ESPN team tried not to say the Eagles were in trouble without TO.  I thought the game was an overall success.  D hardly played, the offense did some god things, no one got hurt.  The rest is all bullshtein...
"If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck and swims like a duck...SHOOT IT!"

Beermonkey

Quote from: PhillyGirl on August 16, 2005, 10:15:14 AM
Quote from: BigEd76 on August 16, 2005, 10:13:01 AM
Quote from: PhillyGirl on August 16, 2005, 09:40:05 AM

Detmer

And we all know that if McNabb ever got seriously hurt, Koy would finish the game and McMahon would be the starter for the next, so I don't see how that's really a disaster.

and unitl that happens, he was disaster last night.