Around the NFL - 2018

Started by General_Failure, February 06, 2018, 07:18:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rome

So I guess Cousins turned them down. 

QB Eagles

They were already forced to pay Bortles $19 million or whatever on his previous contract because he's injured. They would have cut him in a second if not for the injury. This allows them to reduce the cap hit.

Diomedes

Also allows them to spend money on other players to keep some talent from leaving the team.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Rome

It was $19M for one year and then he'd be gone.   It is interesting to me that the Jags would rather pay Bortles a hefty salary than roll the dice with Capt Kirk.  I wonder if other teams will follow suit?

QB Eagles

I think the price might be too high for the Vikings (we can hope), but I don't think the Jets/Broncos/Cards would be averse to opening up the checkbook. And I think it actually makes sense for them to do so.

Jags were always going to have to dump other good players to get Cousins. Not sure they were ever truly in the market for him.

ice grillin you

i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Rome

He's serviceable at best, but if you look at what's out there and what some of these clowns are getting paid, you're dead right. 

General_Failure

The man. The myth. The legend.

QB Eagles

Just noticed the top three highest paid players in the league (average per year) have won a combined 0 playoff games: Jimmy Garoppolo, Matt Stafford, Derek Carr.

#4 is Andrew Luck, who hasn't been in the playoffs since 2014 and might be done.

And Kirk Cousins, another guy with 0 playoff wins, is primed to join this group.

MDS

if it makes you feel better so will aaron rodgers soon enough
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

QB Eagles

Le'Veon Bell threatened sitting out or even retirement if he was franchise tagged again.

They tagged him.

ice grillin you

pretty sure he meant if they try to go into the season with him tagged

this tag was just to give them time to work out a long term deal

Zanshin

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 06, 2018, 12:42:49 PM
pretty sure he meant if they try to go into the season with him tagged

this tag was just to give them time to work out a long term deal

That's what every tag is supposed to be for according to the tag rules. If his demands continue to be off the charts the time won't matter much.

ice grillin you

Rome

Meanwhile they'll still find a way to screw it up.