The Rest of the NBA

Started by Sgt PSN, November 03, 2004, 10:37:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sgt PSN

I've never really understood this whole anti-tanking thing in the NBA. The lottery is basically as close of a deterrent from tanking that you can get. Neither of the 2 worst teams got the #1 pick, and there is no guarantee that tanking will result in a top 2 or 3 pick.  Being a bad team in the NBA only increases your odds of getting a top pick, but the other leagues guarantee the #1 pick to the team with the worst record each year and you never really hear very much tank conspiracies from them.

Besides, I've never had a problem with franchises tanking. The players and coaches aren't out there trying to lose, so it doesn't impact the competitive integrity of the game, imo. Sometimes you gotta take a step backwards in order to move forward.  Such is life.

ice grillin you

Quote from: Sgt PSN on July 17, 2014, 10:12:23 AM
but the other leagues guarantee the #1 pick to the team with the worst record each year and you never really hear very much tank conspiracies from them.

in the other leagues the success of your team isnt as dependent on getting a superstar (or two or three) as in the nba

also in other leagues the drafts are much deeper....in the nba the odds are stacked against you getting a game changing talent outside the top 10
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Sgt PSN

As true as that is, I still don't have a problem with it. I have a much bigger issue with teams that are consistently run poorly every year and are always selling what little bit of talent they do have in order to take on expiring contacts. The Sixers of the last 10 years being a prime example of having little cap flexibility, along with making poor player personnel decisions.

Rather than trying to address a short term method that some teams might use to legitimately try to get better,  why doesn't the league crack down on teams that constantly miss the playoffs in a league where it isn't very hard to make the postseason?  Why is it ok for a franchise to be mediocre for a decade,  but if they want to be bad for 1 season in an attempt for long term greatness, this is suddenly a problem and the fans are being ripped off at the gate?   

Why doesn't the league hold teams accountable for their long term failures?

Rome

It's only a problem when teams outside New York or LA pull that shtein.

QB Eagles

I found the tanking season more fun to watch to watch than the mediocre seasons, but I happen to like watching train wrecks. I'm guessing most fans would like to see games between franchises putting full effort into winning games. The league is absolutely right to try to stop tanking.

Honestly I'm not even sure the NBA benefits from having a draft. It's a salary capped league (albeit a soft cap), so if you also dumped the rookie salary rules, presumably teams without superstars already on the roster would be in the best positions to sign the top rookie players in free agency. And there's only a few dozen players capable of playing at an NBA level coming out each year, so why the need to draw up all these complicated rules?

MDS

drafts are archaic and dumb...what other profession has a draft?

everyone should be a free agent. sign with who you want.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

ice grillin you

let me guess like soccer?

MDS

essentially

though the mls has a draft, but nobody good winds up in there.

drafts are fun in terms of predicting and watching them play out, but basing the future of franchises on arbitrary ping pong balls or records derived from unequal schedules is preposterous.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

ice grillin you

MDS

imagine if lebron hit the open market when he was coming out of high school

or a bunch of numbers came up and wallah, cleveland gets the no 1 pick. fun. fair. fitting.

ice grillin you

PhillyPhreak54

South Texas has rotted lil guys brain

ice grillin you

soccer is a powerful force for the whites

MDS

sports republicans

i want my country sports back

ice grillin you

white guys who fake patriotism defines the pubs perfectly