The Rest of the NBA

Started by Sgt PSN, November 03, 2004, 10:37:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DH

Quote from: Sgt PSN on May 16, 2011, 10:06:07 AM
Sure, he's the best player in the league

I dont think its nearly as clear cut as you're making it out to be. The NBA has some incredible talent now, and while Lebron is in the top tier of that talent, I can't call a guy who can't hit a clutch shot if his mommas hummer depended on it as the best.

my preferred finals:
1. OKC vs. Heat
2. OKC vs. Bulls
3. DAL vs. Heat
4. DAL vs. Bulls

Sgt PSN

He may not be the best with <10 seconds left on the clock, but for the first 47:50, he's undoubtedly the most talented and gifted player in the league.  I can't even let my dislike for the guy get in the way of that. 

I agree though, he doesn't seem to have that killer instinct and he tends to go soft at the end of games......settling for jumpers instead of driving the lane.  He's afraid to shoot free throws with the game on the line, imo.  But he's still the best player on the court. 

reese125

Quote from: DH on May 16, 2011, 09:33:14 AM
Quote from: reese125 on May 16, 2011, 08:56:19 AM
There are certain teams that need to win the championship to keep things hot for a particular sport, the Heat are one of them.

I think them not winning would increase the hotness level for the NBA much more than if they win. The NBA doesnt want it either; at least not this year. Go Sonics.

something just doesnt seem right if the Thunder or Bulls win the championship this year. although you have emerging stars on the court, the national draw (Rose, Westbrook, Durant) still isnt there to tune in--where Ill bet you will most certainly see the ratings drop. a championship series with down ratings is not a great sign for the nba--who is on the verge of a lockout.

while I like it, and it certainly cant hurt the nba for finally having new teams come to the forefront as playoff/championship contenders, I just dont think the timing is right for either of these 2 teams to win it all. As sad as it is to say, Dallas winning the championship is better for the NBA right now.

DH

If there is a ratings drop, its only because part-time NBA fans have been clamoring to see the Heatles in the finals - hopefully against Kobe and the Lake Show, so neither of those teams making it shuts those "fans" teles. For NBA die-hards, what can be better than seeing the emerging talent in OKC or what Derrick Rose is showing us he can be? I havent been this excited about what the league has to offer since the early 90's with Shaq, Penny, Kidd, Hill, etc..

Also, going into an NFL-like off-season, I think a small market team like the Thunder winning the championship could only help the NBA - especially if they knock off Miami.  

Edit: And Sarge, Kobe > Lebron. End of conversation.

reese125

Quote from: DH on May 16, 2011, 11:24:46 AM
Also, going into an NFL-like off-season, I think a small market team like the Thunder winning the championship could only help the NBA - especially if they knock off Miami. 

yeah, you know what--now that I think of it you might be right.

I think it has to be the Heat and Thunder with a Thunder win to make a solid difference. 4 stars on the court like that going at it--Id watch that battle all day long. Not to mention, now you really got something to talk about heading into the next year and years to come with those 2 teams.

Sgt PSN

Edit: And Sarge, Kobe > Lebron. End of conversation.

Kobe is my favorite non-Sixer but he doesn't get to the rim like he used to and was never the physical specimen that Lebron is.  But he is still the best 4th quarter player in the game and LBJ seems to come up small in crunch time.  When it's all said and done, I think Kobe will still have the better career, but Lebron is just a damn freak.  Kobe's got 2 solid years at best and Lebron has about 10.  Kobe is still top 3 in the league, but his age and slightly eroding skills (ie: explosiveness) keep me from putting him in the top spot now. 

Sgt PSN

Quote from: reese125 on May 16, 2011, 11:41:00 AM

yeah, you know what--now that I think of it you might be right.

I think it has to be the Heat and Thunder with a Thunder win to make a solid difference. 4 stars on the court like that going at it--Id watch that battle all day long. Not to mention, now you really got something to talk about heading into the next year and years to come with those 2 teams.

Timing is everything and could the timing be any better for the Thunder, who are so ridiculously young, to annoint themselves as the team to beat in the West for maybe the next decade?  For the last 12 or 13 years it's basically been the Lakers and Spurs and maybe the Mavs, but they've mostly been on the outside looking in.  But the Spurs are old and need to rebuild.  The Lakers don't necessarily need to rebuild, but they do need to make a couple of changes that could most certainly be affected if there's a lockout.  The Mavs are a little long in the tooth as well.  Dirk isn't getting any younger and I wouldn't be surprised if his body starts breaking down a little trying to support that 7' frame.  But the Thunder are just in the right place at the right time.  The youth they have is super young, but super good and they are already making a deep playoff run to gain experience to with everything else.  Seriously, as long as they aren't derailed by a major injury and can keep Westbrook and Durant together, these guys might own the West for the next 10 years. 

DH

I posed this question to my cousin before the playoffs began; I'll do the same here...

The core of the Heat and OKC will both be intact for the next 7 years (including this year). Out of those 7, how many titles does each team win? My guess was and still stands at 2 a piece..

reese125

The Heat are one interior stud along side Joel Anthony away to becoming a dynasty for years to come. The 2nd chance opportunities opponents have against the Heat have been the the core difference in this team dominating.

With that said I think they get at least 4 titles going forward.

DH

Keep in mind the Knicks very well could acquire CP3 or Deron in the next 12 months for the longterm..and the Bulls are only at their beginning of showing how good they are. I think 4 titles for Miami (or anyone over the next 7 years) is gonna be near-impossible.

reese125

As long as D'Antoni is coach of the Knicks they will be left right where they are.

Sgt PSN

Quote from: DH on May 16, 2011, 12:54:26 PM
Keep in mind the Knicks very well could acquire CP3 or Deron in the next 12 months for the longterm..and the Bulls are only at their beginning of showing how good they are. I think 4 titles for Miami (or anyone over the next 7 years) is gonna be near-impossible.

The Knicks need more than CP3 or Williams imo....although either would certainly help.  Their biggest need imo is interior defense because Amare and Melo don't really scare anyone.  If they don't get someone who can defend around the basket, then they aren't going to do anything in the East other than be a consistant 4 seed that gets knocked out in the 2nd round.  Look at how the Bulls basically made Lebron and Wade jump shooters. 

DH

I dont intend to turn this into a Knicks conversation, but with either Paul or Deron (and D'Antoni out), they are right up there with the East's elite..especially with Boston showing their age.

MDS

apparently shannon brown hooked up with pau's woman, and thats what destroyed the lakers
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

DH

boom, theres the trust issue bynum was talking about..

whats up with this though? didnt j-rich knock up nashs wifey?