The Rest of the NBA

Started by Sgt PSN, November 03, 2004, 10:37:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbionic

Quote from: Sgt PSN on February 06, 2008, 02:08:03 PMAnd I think that making players like Nash, Stoudamire and Bell change gears during the course of the game will do more harm than good. 

Time will tell. 

Let's farging hope so. I want the Lakers to take them out of the playoffs this year. That would be sweet revenge!  :evil
I said watch the game and you will see my spirit manifest.-ILLEAGLE 02/04/05

reese125

QuotePlaying along side Wade for the next 3 months may entice Marion to stay in Miami and those 2 would make a pretty formidable pair for the next few years.  And with Miami en route to the #1 pick in the draft, it wouldn't take them very long to get competetive again.   

all part of Miami's plan since they started to lose and realized they were f-ed--correct and correct

QuoteBut the Suns are a fast paced team that prefers to get out and run rather than play a half court game.

This has changed since the beginning of the year. They still run a very effective fast break to the basket, but the 5-man fast break that we have been accustomed to seeing with Nash taking off right from the inbound has slowed down considerably. The Suns thinking from what Ive heard and read is that Shaq will not slow them down. I tend to disagree because,  though he is still a force to keep the post free, he is still a liability out there because his help defense has struggled big time this year. Not to mention, the guy is constantly bothered by a bad hip--has been all season. That wont bode well for plus minutes--like Sarge pointed out

ice grillin you

gasol albeit with more talent is basically a softer version of marion...they would have been right back where they started

and i disagree that they wont be able to run....the running game certainly will be more pick and choose rather than attemted on every possesion but thats the whole point of the trade...they realize the excessive running doesnt work in the playoffs...any team with steve nash is going to run no matter what

well see if it ultimately pays off...if nothing else it makes for a very intriguing storyline to follow
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

ice grillin you

Quote from: reese125 on February 06, 2008, 02:14:35 PM
QuotePlaying along side Wade for the next 3 months may entice Marion to stay in Miami and those 2 would make a pretty formidable pair for the next few years.  And with Miami en route to the #1 pick in the draft, it wouldn't take them very long to get competetive again.   

all part of Miami's plan since they started to lose and realized they were f-ed--correct and correct

i disagree...i have heard nothing but imo they dont resign him...hes overrated as hell and was basically a steve nash creation...he would be a bad resign and i dont think they do it....this was a way to clear cap space and boy did they do it by getting rid of shack...over paying marion would counteract that move

Sgt PSN

Quote from: ice grillin you on February 06, 2008, 02:18:26 PM
gasol albeit with more talent is basically a softer version of marion...they would have been right back where they started

and i disagree that they wont be able to run....the running game certainly will be more pick and choose rather than attemted on every possesion but thats the whole point of the trade...they realize the excessive running doesnt work in the playoffs...any team with steve nash is going to run no matter what

well see if it ultimately pays off...if nothing else it makes for a very intriguing storyline to follow

What Gasol would have done is still allowed Stoudamire to move back to his natural F position while giving them a 7' center that won't slow them down at all.  He may be soft but playing with the Suns, he wouldn't have to be "hard."  The Suns have hard nosed players.  What they need(ed) is a big presence in the middle who can give them 30+ minutes a night and give them the flexibility to get out and run whenever they wanted to rather than pick and choose their spots.  

Agreed about the storyline though.  And because of that, it's the media who ultimately wins in this trade.    

reese125

Quotegasol albeit with more talent is basically a softer version of marion...they would have been right back where they started

I disagree because Marion played the perimeter on both ends of the floor and broke to the basket at will. Gasol would of fit in nicely in the post if their plan is to effectively run the half court. Gasol blocks plenty of shots, get plenty of boards, put-backs and dishes it back out to the wing very effectively. Dont get me wrong, hes not the next coming, but way more effective than Shaq right now

Rome

Trading for Gasol definitely doesn't get the Suns past the Spurs.  Getting Shaq might especially if the diesel is properly motivated and healthy.

hbionic

I said watch the game and you will see my spirit manifest.-ILLEAGLE 02/04/05

Sgt PSN

You don't think being back in the Western Conference wouldn't light a little bit of fire under Shaq's ass? 

reese125

Sam Cassell is hoping to be bought out by the Clippers so that he can join the Celtics for a playoff push.

Cassell told The Boston Globe on Wednesday that his agent, David Falk, has had conversations with the Clippers about a potential buyout and he is interested in joining the Celtics if it happens. Cassell is making $6.15 million this season in the final year of his contract with the Clippers. Danny Ainge has said he is interested in finding "the right veteran point guard" and is rumored to have interest in Cassell.

This could be a big boost for the Celtics at the PG position if this happens. Sammy is on his last leg, has one more shot, can still shoot his ass off, and can dish the rock nicely to the big 3. Makes the game against Detroit a little more interesting

ice grillin you

Quote from: Jerome99RIP on February 06, 2008, 03:27:27 PM
especially if the diesel is properly motivated and healthy.

absolutely true...i question if hes really as hurt and old as he appears and wonder if playing on a team that he can win a title with wont reinvigorate him...definitely something else to watch for

reese125

A guy thats going to be 36 next month, carrying that much weight, and misses games left and right because of knee and hip injuries--yeah he's hurt all right. Take a good look at a Heat game and watch Shaq play. You can tell by the way he runs and shifts over to "try" and help the defender. Its very ineffective and in slow motion. It doesnt look like a guy thats not motivated, it looks like a guy that has lost his skills big time

Although he can still block shots and score on his hook, he has 10 double digit rebounds all year...not good. I think the Suns will truly miss Marions' versatility and rebounding ability, and better hope and pray Boris Diaw comes up big come playoff time

Sgt PSN

Quote from: reese125 on February 06, 2008, 08:21:55 PM
Sam Cassell is hoping to be bought out by the Clippers so that he can join the Celtics for a playoff push.

Cassell told The Boston Globe on Wednesday that his agent, David Falk, has had conversations with the Clippers about a potential buyout and he is interested in joining the Celtics if it happens. Cassell is making $6.15 million this season in the final year of his contract with the Clippers. Danny Ainge has said he is interested in finding "the right veteran point guard" and is rumored to have interest in Cassell.

This could be a big boost for the Celtics at the PG position if this happens. Sammy is on his last leg, has one more shot, can still shoot his ass off, and can dish the rock nicely to the big 3. Makes the game against Detroit a little more interesting

That would be a nice pickup for the Celtics.  He's probably lasted the last 5 years because of his smarts more so than physical ability.  He's been faking people out with his pump fake for like 10 years now.  Everyone knows he's going to do it and yet they still fall for it. 

phattymatty

fortunately the celts have rondo and don't have any need for cassell.  he just knows he's old and wants to get one last chance to be on a title team.  i don't see why they would bother.  although i guess he's a nice guy to come off the bench and give rondo a breather every now and then.

ice grillin you