Random Philadelphia Sports Musings Thread

Started by ice grillin you, March 10, 2012, 07:59:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhillyPhreak54

MDS

Quote from: MDS on April 29, 2022, 11:46:25 AM
an all time city sports day must be followed by months of torture...tis the rules

rules are rules
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

ice grillin you

sixers are on an unofficial final six list of which 1-2 teams in the next couple years will be added to the league....this was their write up in an article breaking down each city....I read them all and I'd say the way I read it it sounds like they have no chance....of the six finalists id say they ranked fourth but San Fran all but seems a lock and Portland seems light years ahead

Philadelphia

When comedian Wanda Sykes guest-hosted Jimmy Kimmel Live last July, Sparks forward Chiney Ogwumike was a guest on the talk show. Ogwumike opened her appearance by calling Sykes a "WNBA real one" and gifting Sykes an Ogwumike jersey. Sykes said, "In my opinion, the WNBA saved our democracy," then asked Ogwumike what could be done to get more people involved and interested in the WNBA.

Her fandom is not just performative. Sources say Sykes, who lives in Pennsylvania part-time, is a part of a group with interest in bringing an expansion team to Philadelphia. Sykes could not be reached for comment. Sources also have connected South Carolina coach Dawn Staley, a Philadelphia native, to the group.

League sources believe Philadelphia has potential as an eventual expansion city, but it would likely mean the involvement of the 76ers — both financially and in terms of an arena. Though 76ers owners Josh Harris and David Blitzer have bought a number of franchises outside of the Sixers, anything linking the 76ers ownership group to a WNBA expansion franchise would be premature, a source said.

While the 76ers play in the Wells Fargo Center, they do not own it and have a lease that runs through 2031. Even if 76ers ownership were to get involved, they do not control dates at the building.

Still, Philadelphia holds lots of appeal. It is the fourth-largest media market in the country and the biggest one in which the WNBA does not already have a team. It has a rabid basketball fan base, with love for not only the 76ers but five local college teams.
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

MDS

they have no shot until the sixers get their own area (if)

i dont think it even comes close to working economically if they have to pay sky high rent at the center
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Geowhizzer

phattymatty

I bet fultz to get comeback player of the year.  +12500

ice grillin you

this is pretty farging funny

QuoteFlyers forward Travis Konecny asked about the rise of Jalen Hurts for the Eagles:
"It's pretty cool that between Joel (Embiid), Bryce Harper, myself, and now Jalen, each Philly team has a MVP caliber player."

Don Ho

"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.

Geowhizzer

Munson

Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

ice grillin you

Sixers kick off a triple header

gotta love it

ice grillin you

tomorrow four of the city six, flyers, sixers, eagles

ice grillin you

phils on tbs, tonite sixers on tbs

A double L has never been more of a lock

ice grillin you

Five boston v. Philly games this weekend.  Can boston go 5-0?

ice grillin you