2009 Philadelphia Phillies - Season's Over, Time to Move On

Started by SunMo, April 02, 2009, 01:24:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sgt PSN

Quote from: Eaglez on November 02, 2009, 12:14:57 AM
I felt really good with Lidge through the first two batters and even when Damon got on because he was locating his slider and he seemed to have good downward movement on it.  Then all he threw was fastballs because he loses confidence in his BEST PITCH when runners get on. 

Guy needs to get his head examined in the off-season.  It would be much easier to stomach if he got beat with his best pitch when it seemed like he was throwing it pretty well.  Ticks me off. 

if damon is held at 2nd then i think lidge still keep throwing sliders.  he stopped throwing them when damon moved to 3rd because if one gets by chooch, then damon scores easy. 

also, i don't know who to call out for this one, but someone/anyone should have mentioned to lidge when texiera came up and the phils put the shift on, that he needed to cover 3rd on a throw to 2nd. 

Eaglez

I figured that's why he stopped throwing sliders, but then you become a "one pitch" pitcher with a guy that mashes fastballs at the plate.  If a slider gets by Ruiz then I'm pissed but I'm able to swallow the loss a bit better than if you think you can sneak a fastball by A-Rod when that's all he's looking for. 

Plus I would imagine that if they institute the shift it's Lidge's duty to cover 3rd base on a steal to 2nd.  Although it was just a heads up play by Damon that caught them off guard. 

The way the Yankees won this game reminded me of the way the Phils have won pivotal games in the past.  Just depressing to see it occur on the other end.

Sgt PSN

Quote from: Eaglez on November 02, 2009, 12:24:12 AM
I figured that's why he stopped throwing sliders, but then you become a "one pitch" pitcher with a guy that mashes fastballs at the plate.  If a slider gets by Ruiz then I'm pissed but I'm able to swallow the loss a bit better than if you think you can sneak a fastball by A-Rod when that's all he's looking for.

yup

Plus I would imagine that if they institute the shift it's Lidge's duty to cover 3rd base on a steal to 2nd.  Although it was just a heads up play by Damon that caught them off guard. 

yup

The way the Yankees won this game reminded me of the way the Phils have won pivotal games in the past.  Just depressing to see it occur on the other end.

yup.  like game 4 of the nlcs last year.  games 3 and 4 of the nlds this year and game 4 of the nlcs this year. 

bowzer

Kind of ironic we lost in the ninth because of one of the Mitchell report's finest gets on base, steals to bases, and than gets hit home by the most prolific roider since Bonds..

farg the yanks

QB Eagles

if lidge is supposedly in a situation in which he cant throw his slider, theres no reason to have lidge out there

LBIggle

every weakness they had during the year comes back to bite them in the ass now.

they got farging full of themselves.  they won game 1 and thought they were untouchable.  they haven't closed out games all year.. and you just assume your going to do it against a better team?  haha.  nice try idiots. 

cool season.   whatever.  i knew they weren't going to let me enjoy the eagles win.  lidge is done.  ibanez is done.  thanks for the HR feliz.. your done.  bench=gone.. bullpen=gone.  hamels=gone. the window is still open, make this this team great not just good enough to beat second rate teams amaro.  yay offseason. 

Don Ho

Agree with LB.  Window is wide open with this group.  Score a closer, get rid of Hamels and get something for him and a little more depth on the bench and there back in the thick of things.  I think Ibanez is really hurt and Feliz is not 100% after back surgery.  Howard just picked a bad time to really, really suck.
"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.

MDS

i have a feeling we could get 93ed again

the ace (schilling...lee) throws a gem in game 5. then in game 6 a lead is scrapped together...to the ninth...and the closer who walks the tight rope does as he's done 1000x before--he blows the game.

at least there was last year. at least there was last year.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Sgt PSN

i actually think lidge will be fine next year.  not 08 perfect but not 09 bad either.   35-40 saves with 3-5 blown. 

the bullpen in general is going to need some work. 

Sgt PSN

Quote from: MDS on November 02, 2009, 02:22:29 AM
i have a feeling we could get 93ed again

the ace (schilling...lee) throws a gem in game 5. then in game 6 a lead is scrapped together...to the ninth...and the closer who walks the tight rope does as he's done 1000x before--he blows the game.

at least there was last year. at least there was last year.

the big difference between 93 and 09 is that the 93 team was a total fluke.  the strike in 94 was the best thing that could have happened to that team because now-a-days alot of people don't really remember that the 94 phils were about 20 games out of first place in the division (which was led by montreal). 

at least we know that this current group of phillies is a legit playoff team and ws contender. 

MDS

well i know that, just the same end result

in reality the nl east is already won, so this is something of dynasty. more titles would be nice. but i dont see why they shouldnt be the favorites to get back there, as of now.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

LBIggle

being the new braves wouldn't really be that much of a dynasty.

what was it .. 14 division titles in a row and only 1 WS win..  they only got there twice and lost to you know who the second time.  a lot of the time their almost scrutinized for only winning 1 title. anyways, like you said it'd be nice to see them chalk 1 more up. (preferably after they actually win the whole thing next time).  to do that though their going to have to make a couple of important moves this offseason. with that it will shape the team for the foreseeable future and make that second championship possible in the years the rest of MLB decides to actually show up and challenge them for a ring.  hopefully amaro has the nads to tinker with a team that was mostly inherited.  obviously the lee deal was gold.. now make it happen in the offseason.

ice grillin you

Quote from: MDS on November 01, 2009, 11:52:22 PM
if someone can do it, its this team. especially with lee in game 5 and the giant ? in game 6. then cc on 3 days rest again.

stop it...its over...youre not getting your beloved money

Quote from: bowzer on November 02, 2009, 12:34:48 AM
Kind of ironic we lost in the ninth because of one of the Mitchell report's finest gets on base, steals to bases, and than gets hit home by the most prolific roider since Bonds..

farg the yanks

whats even more ironic is the phillies couldnt beat them now that they are off the stuff
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

smeags

lidge and manuel trying to explain who should've covered 3rd.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfmvkO5x6Ng&feature=fvw
If guns kill people then spoons made Rosie O'Donnel a fatass.

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 16, 2008, 03:38:24 PM
phillies will be under 500 this year...book it

SunMo

the thought that he had to stop throwing sliders to one of the best defensive catchers in the game is one of the most retarded things I have ever heard.  i kill lidge/ruiz much less if damon scores on a slider in the dirt than throwing 91mph fastballs for arod to crush
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.