2009 Philadelphia Phillies - Season's Over, Time to Move On

Started by SunMo, April 02, 2009, 01:24:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don Ho

Quote from: phattymatty on October 29, 2009, 12:53:00 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-giuVJMn9q8

awful song but watch from about 25 seconds in until around 1 minute.  check out the killer.

You're right the song is horrible but love the actor!
"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.

ice grillin you

i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

mpmcgraw

Quote from: ice grillin you on October 29, 2009, 09:49:40 AM
not @ you matty cause i know you dont care about either instance but i love how cliff lee is just the coolest motherfarger ever even tho the ball almost fell out of his glove

yet desean jackson is a loud mouthed hot dog who gave himself a liz franc by showboating
this is why i'm like 99% sure you have never played baseball at any level. That was at no point going to fall out of his glove. It wasn't even snow coned.

And for the record desean could slaughther a herd of buffalo in the end zone as his celebration. I really dint care. 

phillymic2000

awful song but watch from about 25 seconds in until around 1 minute.  check out the killer.
\\

isn't that tretch from Naughty by Nature?

Seabiscuit36

Quote from: phillymic2000 on October 29, 2009, 01:31:34 PM

awful song but watch from about 25 seconds in until around 1 minute.  check out the killer.
\\

isn't that tretch from Naughty by Nature?
if your not joking kill yoself

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/story/12436206
QuoteNEW YORK -- The only thing hotter than Chase Utley's bat right now is that Crisco oil stuff in his hair.

The Phillies are apparently undaunted and unafraid either of the Yankees or extravagant hair care products.

Chase the Ace, in one of the more dominant World Series performances of the last few years, walked in the first inning and then hit two booming home runs in a 6-1 win over New York in Game 1. He's reached safely in each of his last 26 postseason games, an all-time record. He passed Boog Powell who had a 25-game postseason streak from 1966-1971.

He became only the second left-handed batter in World Series history to hit two homers off a lefty pitcher in one game since Babe Ruth in 1928. Babe Freaking Ruth.

Utley also set the record for the amount of Soul Glo in a person's hair.   :-D 

Utley's dominance embodied the Phillies who, on yet another foul weather night here, again showed their sea legs in the Game 1 victory. They demonstrated something that remains a hardcore truth but seems to still be largely forgotten by too many people: There isn't a tougher team in baseball than the Phillies.

There wasn't last year, there wasn't this season and because of that swagger-licious, wholesomely arrogant and unparalleled ability to collapse the trachea of an opponent -- even one as storied as the Yankees -- the Phillies have taken control of this series.

The Phillies even took control of the fans. Utley said Yankees fans were rowdy towards the Philadelphia players until he hit those homers. Then the stadium, filled with 50,207 people, mostly became quiet. Then something else happened.

"... During near the end of the game," Utley said, "I noticed some people left."

The front-runners bolted.

For anyone who really knows baseball, Philadelphia's victory isn't shocking. This is what the Phillies do. They don't give a damn. Meet them in the back alley, bring your boys and your knives, or your pennants, and they'll Muay Thai dropkick you.

Or drown you in hair gel.

This is what the Phillies do.

World Series videos

The Yankees? Their new stadium? Their celebrities? All those rings? All those titles? His Phoniness, Rudy Giuliani, in attendance? The Phillies don't care.

This is what the Phillies do.

The Phillies aren't just like an American League team. They're just like an NFC East team.

It's a noticeable contrast to the uptight nature of the Yankees and their controlling manager Joe Girardi, whose jockstraps seem to get tighter as the situation gets closer.

Yet another scene that illustrated Philadelphia's toughness wasn't solely Utley's production as it was Cliff Lee. Smoking the Yankees all game, Lee casually caught a Johnny Damon pop-up in the sixth, almost half heartedly, drawing a chuckle from his teammates.

Later, Lee caught a one-hopper off Jorge Posada, and then casually ran Posada down, patting him on the butt with the baseball, doing so like it was a spring training game instead of the World Series. He added another beauty in the eighth when he caught a ground ball behind his back.

Philadelphia's Charlie Manuel, the team's manager, continually laughed it up in the dugout like he was watching Larry the Cable Guy at a comedy club.

It was a Philly yuck fest.

"I liked the one behind his back," Manuel said. "The pop-up he tried to pull a Willie Mays."

None of these things were a display of arrogance or disrespect by Philadelphia. It's just the Phillies. This is what they do.

They ... don't ... give ... a damn.

World Series? So what.

"It's been a long time since I've been nervous playing this game," Lee said.

The same statement could be made about the entire Phillies team.

Predators don't get nervous.

Again, their win isn't a surprise. They've been tolerably cocky for some time and it's worked well for them. Jimmy Rollins, before the 2007 season, predicted the Phillies would win the pennant over the Mets. He was right. Last year Rollins said his team would win 100 games. They snagged 103. This year he Nostradamused a Yankees and Phillies World Series. That one worked out, too.

On TV the other night he said the Phillies would win in five games. If the Phillies win the second contest, Rollins might be right about that, too.

Because this is what the Phillies do.

No one should be stunned any longer.
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

PhillyGirl

"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

Seabiscuit36

"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

MDS

also its la looks, not soul glo. not that utley looks good or anything, well, he does, he is hot and stuff. but he looks better sans the gel, like after a game. though from what i hear he gets royally pissed off when girls wont lick his nuts at the bar. wonder if jen knows. she probably does.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

phattymatty

how does anyone know he had gel in his hair and it wasn't WET FROM ALL OF THE RAIN.

oh also, he probably got sweaty from running around all those bases last night.  makes the hair greasy.

Seabiscuit36

MDS

19.5 mil for the game, highest game 1 numbers since 04

if this goes back to ny, they can easily get past the 30 mil mark and maybe hit 40. if bud selig is anything like david stern, bet heavily on the yanks tonight. me thinks pedro is gonna get squeezed. i mean, mlb really needs good numbers and a classic world series. really badly. like a classic 7 gamer. really badly.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

PhillyPhreak54

I have this feeling that Pedro is going to thrive in that environment tonight.

Or maybe it's the Jason's Deli I ate for lunch; but either way I've got a feeling

MDS

ive got a feeling mlb can make close a mil for a 30 second spot in game 6 or 7 and they want that. so much so that dick bavetta will ump behind home plate tonight.

Seabiscuit36

i dont really listen to Van Pelt often on espn radio, but he was so money today. 

BigEd76

Tonight's lineup:

Jeter
Damon
Teixeira
A-Rod
Matsui
Cano
Hairston
Cabrera
Molina