2009 Philadelphia Phillies - Season's Over, Time to Move On

Started by SunMo, April 02, 2009, 01:24:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rome

Quote from: jihadist monk on October 22, 2009, 07:03:07 PM
I'm going Yankees in 5.

I just can't see the Phils repeating or as much as I love Pedro him outpitching Pettite or CC (assuming he's the one going game 4).  Blanton and Happ are okay, but not against the Yankees.  As much as I love Lee I can't see him going 2-0 against them. 

Are you ever right about anything in life?

Geowhizzer

Quote from: Don Ho on October 23, 2009, 03:58:48 AM
Not many on this board older than the Don.  I've followed and loved this team since 1971 and have been through some rough times and some great times, more rough than good.  Enjoy every minute of this.  This is just awesome right now.  JRolls winning hit was one of the greatest feelings I've ever had watching the Phils.  I am trying to think of a bigger moment other than the two WS wins that can top that.  Stairs home run & Vic's grand slam off Sabathia last year come close - two of the greatest "Sit down bitch" statements I've seen.  Dykstra was right there in game 5 against Atlanta in 93 when he blasted a homer late.  Del Unser in game 5 at Kansas City.

Bandwagoners go ahead and jump on but you ain't gettin off.  Die hards you keep representing.  If this goofball all the way in Hawaii can stay loyal for almost 40 years than any one can.  Jump on my canoe.  Surf's up!  Savor every one of these moments.  This is some good shtein happening right now.

I'm not too far behind you.  I'm a bandwagoner... from the late 1970s Golden Era.

ice grillin you

Quote from: Rome on October 23, 2009, 06:11:18 AM
Personally, I miss the days when 25,000 would show up at The Vet on a good night.  Those fargers were die-hards and so was I.

EXACTLY

and phreak it has way more to do with the new stadium than the team winning a title or even making the playoffs...this atmosphere has permeated the bank since it opened

dont get me wrong i love the bank way more than the vet (for baseball) but the non playoff crowds there have always been incredibly annoying
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

PhillyGirl

Quote from: Rome on October 23, 2009, 06:11:18 AM
More iceholes at the ballpark make it more difficult for me to take a leak or buy a beer in a reasonable amount of time between innings.

Personally, I miss the days when 25,000 would show up at The Vet on a good night.  Those fargers were die-hards and so was I.

Oh, and farg the faggy rally towels too.   Gayest thing I've ever seen especially since farging Steelers fans invented them.

Ah, the days where you'd have to walk around the WHOLE 700 level concourse just to get a drink because only 2 concession stands were open the whole level. LOL
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

PhillyGirl

ha, from an article in today's paper:

QuoteWhat would fans in Philadelphia call a good team that kept getting close but never reached the final goal? Oh, that's right. The Eagles.

There's the best reminder that these runs at the championship don't have to happen. Take a glance across the street from Citizens Bank Park at Lincoln Financial Field. If that doesn't make you savor the moment, nothing will.
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

Sgt PSN

that's awesome.  who penned it?  i'm sure banner, inc will be sending some goons to pay him a visit. 

Seabiscuit36

"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

PhillyGirl

QuoteNation will be pulling for non-phony, non-corporate Phillies
Oct. 22, 2009
By Mike Freeman
CBSSports.com National Columnist

PHILADELPHIA -- The smile of Ryan Howard is unmistakable and not insincere. Just like his Phillies team, there's a wholesomeness to it. Yes, that's the word that was just used. The 'W' word. Instead of what's normally associated with this city, which is the F-bomb.

And for now, at least, there's no trace of that Howard smile being steroid tinged.

"You know, first coming up, this organization was considered to be a losing organization," Howard said. Then he paused, for a moment, to digest that thought. The Phillies were once flat-out stinkified losers. Hard to believe but true.

Now, here they are, early Thursday morning, many moments after winning the NL by beating the Dodgers 10-4, hundreds of fans and many Philly players, celebrated gleefully -- no riots, few jerks -- the toast of a town.

It's only a matter of time before they're the toast of a nation.

Do you know what this World Series will be? It'll be your classic good vs. evil phonies. That's what it is.

The Phillies, after dominating a soulless Dodgers team, are headed to the championship.

"I can't say the Phillies wanted it more than us," Joe Torre said.

I can and they did.

There's more hustle in Steve Phillips' pants than there were in the Dodgers.  :-D

Now, the New America's Team, the Phillies, will almost certainly take on the Yankees after New York finishes beating up another Cali fraud, the Angels.

These Phillies are impossible not to like, which makes them the antithesis of the Yankees and instantly a favorite of the country.

Because any team facing the Yankees in the World Series is automatically the nation's darling.

What the Phillies did to the Dodgers is what they've done in each game this postseason, which is play hard and with reckless disregard. They didn't just beat Los Angeles -- they outclassed them, in one of the more dominant NLCS performances of the past few decades.

There's something special about this Phillies club that's partly immeasurable. Words like guts are too clichéd but even for the normally cynical, the Phillies are an enthralling, mesmerizing bunch.

While the Dodgers were all GAM and no game, the Phillies are all substance and no sass.

The 21st century New America's Team, indeed.

The Yankees are formidable (scary good, really) but underestimate the Phillies at your own risk. Their eight or more runs three times in five different games this postseason is historic.

Meanwhile, the only people who can root for the Yankees are bankers and bandwagoners.

The Yankees are corporate. The Phillies are lemonade sold on the corner on a hot summer day. And the lemonade doesn't have any boli in it.  :-D

Some of the Yankees, unlike most of the Phillies, are truly hard to take. Nick Swisher is a phony, Alex Rodriguez is still suspect, and Andy Pettitte's aw golly act gets old. CC Sabathia is a terrific guy and Derek Jeter is a credit to all of sports but their levelheaded personalities and decency traits don't outweigh the overall Goldman Sach-ness of the Yankees.

Even the Yankees' celebrity fans are suspect, like the former mayor, Rudy Giuliani. He's worse than Red Sox baseball fan phonies like Ben Affleck.

Philadelphia manager Charlie Manuel is so down home he sweats gravy and his blood type is biscuit.  :-D :-D Joe Girardi is an obsessive compulsive tinkerer and putterer. He makes pitching changes while deep in REM sleep. Girardi is more uptight than an Army drill instructor.

The Phillies aren't perfect. Jimmy Rollins sometimes acts like he's Nick Cannon and is a little too slick for his own good, but overall this roster oozes not with known steroid users but with decent, ego-less guys. Anyone who doesn't like Howard should have their chest cavity MRI'd for a heart.

The Phillies are a collective. The Yankees are a collection agency.

Watching the Phillies celebrate both on Monday night and then again on Wednesday after earning a World Series trip was emotional even for those of us who don't care who wins.

That's because the Phillies make you care.

That's what the New America's Team does.

PhillyGirl

ice grillin you

thank god that philly and its fans are to despised to ever garner a cub or red sox type national following....because i dont know what id do if that ever happened

Sgt PSN

Quote from: ice grillin you on October 23, 2009, 11:28:17 AM
thank god that philly and its fans are to despised to ever garner a cub or red sox type national following....because i dont know what id do if that ever happened

troof.  the rest of the country can watch all they want.  just watch from afar. 

BigEd76

PhillyGirl

They're not all going to morph into Philly fans, they're just rooting for them against the Yankees.

I have ZERO issue with that.

ice grillin you