2009 Philadelphia Phillies - Season's Over, Time to Move On

Started by SunMo, April 02, 2009, 01:24:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ice grillin you

Quote from: BigEd76 on October 22, 2009, 10:44:11 AM
igy says triple or nothing...Yanks in 6

yup if anyone wants in im down

and dont listen to the kids j...maybe its because im older and been to frankford and cottman dozens of times over the last 20 years but only a 19 or 20 year old would prefer the night of the win vs the parade....the night of is great but nothing happens that you havent seen a million times before...drunk morons actin a fool...

the parade is on a whole nother level and something you might never witness again...in fact last year i went to the clinching game...the night of celebrations and the parade and the parade was even better than the game for me much less the night of stuff
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

smeags

i have to agree on the night of vs. the parade. it's like comparing chuck roast to prime rib.
If guns kill people then spoons made Rosie O'Donnel a fatass.

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 16, 2008, 03:38:24 PM
phillies will be under 500 this year...book it

MDS

im not doubting the awesomeness of the parade, its just the spontaneity and randomness of the night of cannt be toppled. youre not sure whats gonna go down next and its great.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

smeags

so you like the possibilty of a guy that climbed a street light getting clunked in the head with bottle over the millions of people celebrating a parade.

meh, i love going to frankford and cottman, all 3 times in my lifetime but i like parade that much better. but to each his own. i mean when it comes down to it, can ya really miss on either ?

MDS

no sir, you cannot. theyre both off the charts.

if the phils win in walk off/exciting fashion, then the night of will be even more amazing. imagine having the energy of game 4 win carry over to an immediate title celebration. people will be on the verge of death. and there are a lot of stupid white people that we could do without, like munson.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

PhillyGirl

QuoteGonzo: Nothing's better: Phils-Yanks Series
POSTED: October 22, 2009
By John Gonzalez
Inquirer Columnist

The final out of the 2009 National League Championship Series fell harmlessly into Shane Victorino's glove at 11:47 p.m. last night. The Phillies swarmed each other, the crowd went crazy, and the city celebrated another National League championship. It was a familiar sight, but one that never gets old.

From the press box, I could see what appeared to be a father hugging his son. They stood there for a while with their arms around each other and stared at the commotion on the field. Now and then they'd shoot each other a look - wide, silly grins meant to express how lucky they are (how lucky we all are, really) without saying a word. No doubt there were scenes like that unfolding all over town. It's nearly enough to make a grown man cry.

When we're all done drying our eyes, we should probably share the Kleenex with the rest of country. If the New York Times is to be believed, Americans all over this fine land started blubbering when the Phils locked down their second straight World Series appearance. They weren't tears of joy, either.

Recently, NYT sports columnist William Rhoden - as talented a scribbler as anyone out there - predicted baseball lovers would weep into their Wheaties if the Dodgers and Yankees didn't end up playing for the Commissioner's Trophy. He wrote that a Phillies-Yanks clash would be "intriguing" but added that "what Major League Baseball needs is a great World Series, a Series for the ages. And with all due respect. . . it's a Yankees-Dodgers World Series that could take the game back to its roots at a time when baseball desperately needs to recover a portion of the trust, if not the innocence, that it has lost in the steroid era."

Hold on while I gather myself. Mercy. I haven't laughed that hard since I saw the The Nightman Cometh at the Tower.

Two teams lousy with known-steroid users were supposed to restore baseball's "innocence"? I wonder if he penned that with a straight face. That's the same sort of flawed thinking that once led the NYT to write a stunningly obtuse piece that selected Philly as New York's "sixth borough." Don't they have editors at the Times? Surely someone should be charged with the task of reading that rubbish and pointing out how utterly inane it sounds.

I agree with Rhoden on one point, though: Baseball needs a great series. What better way to guarantee that than by pitting the best team in the NL against the best team in the AL (assuming the Yanks finish off the Angels), the defending World Series champs vs. the franchise that's won more titles than any other? What better way to captivate the country than to have two trash-talking cities - separated by 90 miles of bad New Jersey Turnpike pavement - grab for each other's throats in prime time?

There's also the added benefit of knowing a Phils-Yanks Fall Classic is sure to make Mets fans projectile vomit all over their plastic-covered couches. Everyone wins this way.

Besides, I'm not entirely convinced that the rest of the country wanted an L.A.-N.Y. series in the first place. That's a few too many narcissists with fake eyelashes for most people. Think about it in terms of body parts: L.A. vs. N.Y. would be two giant swelled heads. Better to include some shoulders and a large chip to balance things out.

But, hey, if Rhoden is right and people are ticked that the Phils are back in the World Series, too bad. During the lean years Philly had to watch Houston, Atlanta, Florida and all sorts of teams we have no interest in compete for championships. Now it's time for the rest of America to choke down a steaming bowl of these aren't my clubs and I don't care indifference.

Note to the nation: If you sprinkle some sugar on top it's easier to stomach. Enjoy.

Line of the night

Two Spanish reporters joked about Pedro Martinez pitching in the Bronx again: "Hola, Yankees, daddy's home."

Think Blue

Ignore the sign, Dodgers fans. Another Botox injection and a new pair of $200 skinny jeans and you'll forget all about the beating your boys just absorbed.

T.J. Simers

Some of you weren't amused by the L.A. Times columnist or his jokes about Philly. Don't sweat it. It's just shtick, and it's all he has. I mean, how sad is it that he spends his days cracking wise on Page 2 of a dying newspaper?

Well said

In the eighth inning, the crowd chanted "hit the showers." Brilliant.

Some good stuff in there.
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

smeags

QuoteTwo Spanish reporters joked about Pedro Martinez pitching in the Bronx again: "Hola, Yankees, daddy's home."

yeah but how'd that series turn out for the yanks again ?

ice grillin you

not that both dont have their good times but the best way i can describe it is that the night of is for spike tv fans the parade is for phillie fans

i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

phillymic2000

There's also the added benefit of knowing a Phils-Yanks Fall Classic is sure to make Mets fans projectile vomit all over their plastic-covered couches. Everyone wins this way.

:yay

MDS

Quote from: ice grillin you on October 22, 2009, 12:01:58 PM
not that both dont have their good times but the best way i can describe it is that the night of is for spike tv fans the parade is for phillie fans

how dare you

Rome

smeags

Seabiscuit36

TJ's newest schtick
T.J. Simers

Some of you weren't amused by the L.A. Times columnist or his jokes about Philly. Don't sweat it. It's just shtick, and it's all he has. I mean, how sad is it that he spends his days cracking wise on Page 2 of a dying newspaper?
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

Seabiscuit36

"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

smeags

i wish i had the emails from last year going back & forth with this dope. i torched him beyond belief. he got so angry when i offered to send him flowers after we beat the dodgers. but the best was when he threatened me with a harrassment charge when i offered him a ticket to sit in CBP to watch the festivities on 10/31.  8)