2009 Philadelphia Phillies - Season's Over, Time to Move On

Started by SunMo, April 02, 2009, 01:24:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhillyPhreak54

QuoteAccording to Manuel, the sequence of events went like this: During Rollins' at-bat, Manuel looked over to the visiting dugout and locked eyes with Dodgers slugger Jim Thome, a long-time friend whom he managed in Cleveland. Manuel says he then pointed to right field, indicating where Rollins was going to hit the ball.

"Thome is standing over in the other dugout, and Thome looks at me, and I motion like that," Manuel said, holding out his arm. "I told Thome, he is going to hit one. I go like this (points finger) and point to the right field stands. I did, but I had a good feeling about it. It wasn't like I was joking or kidding or nothing.

"He was looking at me, and I went like that, and he's shaking his head like no, he's not, or something like that. You can ask him. I had a real good feeling. I was talking to (bench coach Pete) Mackanin the whole time. With Jimmy up there, I liked that moment. I liked the guy hitting."

Charlie is a god...

Eagles_Legendz

People hate on the broadcasters because their analyze every single word the announcers say.  I don't think Chip has been good but people are used to listening to their hometown announcers.  National broadcasters play to crowds a lot.  When they're in LA and the Dodgers do something well, they naturally sound more excited.  I actually thought the calls last night were pretty good.

The only thing that bothers me are the constant minor errors or slips of tongue.  Saying "hopefully the Dodgers can get some insurance runs here" is not something you should hear on a national broadcast even if it's not meant the way it was said.

BigEd76

reese125

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on October 20, 2009, 02:52:22 PM
QuoteAccording to Manuel, the sequence of events went like this: During Rollins' at-bat, Manuel looked over to the visiting dugout and locked eyes with Dodgers slugger Jim Thome, a long-time friend whom he managed in Cleveland. Manuel says he then pointed to right field, indicating where Rollins was going to hit the ball.

"Thome is standing over in the other dugout, and Thome looks at me, and I motion like that," Manuel said, holding out his arm. "I told Thome, he is going to hit one. I go like this (points finger) and point to the right field stands. I did, but I had a good feeling about it. It wasn't like I was joking or kidding or nothing.

"He was looking at me, and I went like that, and he's shaking his head like no, he's not, or something like that. You can ask him. I had a real good feeling. I was talking to (bench coach Pete) Mackanin the whole time. With Jimmy up there, I liked that moment. I liked the guy hitting."

Charlie is a god...

crazy hearing this statement. not even sure andy reid could get this kind of hype after a sb win.

but the turnaround managerial skills this guy has made the past 2 years has been just short of remarkable.

Rome

Carey is a clusterfarg as a baseball announcer.  His last call about the ball going "home" when it didn't even reach second base is testament to that.

He's embarrassing to the point where if his last name wasn't Carey he'd be working in Boise as a weekend sports reporter.

PhillyGirl

"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

PhillyGirl

"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

PhillyGirl

Rome

MDS

Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

bowzer

PhillyPhreak54

QuoteLater, Matt Stairs would say he doubted seriously that the memories of that home run were still rattling around Broxton's head. Huh? Really? Us media skeptics weren't so sure of that. But either way, we asked Stairs, were those memories still in HIS head as he dug in to face Broxton again?

"Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh," Stairs rope-a-doped, very briefly, before realizing he couldn't fake his way through this one ...

"Yeah," he laughed. "Of course."

"As I was standing in that batter's box," he went on, "I had one thing in mind -- and that was going for that Budweiser sign (which hangs from the facing of the second deck in right field). But then again, that doesn't change -- against anybody."

It was quite the scene, watching Stairs dig in. He kicked at the dirt in the box, tapped his spikes, waved his bat, looked straight at the man on the mound. Broxton glared right back from 60 feet away. The vibe in the ballpark was pure electro-shock madness.

Asked what it was like to sit around for 3½ hours and then find himself at home plate, facing a guy who throws rocketballs 100 miles an hour, Stairs answered: "Well, it's not something you want to do every day -- but it's something I enjoy doing."

But Broxton would make sure there would be no reruns of Matt Stairs' home-run trot this October -- by walking him on four pitches. Manuel admitted later he gave Stairs the old green light on 3-and-0. But ball four was so far outside (at 99 mph), even Stairs couldn't take a fly at it.

"I'm just glad he didn't throw me a 3-and-0 fastball [over the plate]," Stairs said, chuckling to himself, "because I was gonna swing as hard as I can and see what happens. I've never turned down a fastball, and I never will. I'll be swinging at fastballs till I'm 50. They might be slow-pitch fastballs, but I'll be swinging at them."

bowzer

MLB Network just did a countdown of the top 10 hits of the playoffs so far... Rollins' hit, which has only happened two other times in MLB playoff history, was only number two.  The walkoff hit from the Angels game was number one.... and most of the top ten hits were Yankees home runs.