2009 Philadelphia Phillies - Season's Over, Time to Move On

Started by SunMo, April 02, 2009, 01:24:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MDS

Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

PhillyPhreak54

QuoteCole Hamels said he reacted just like any Phillies fan would have reacted.

He threw up his arms.

There is an unwritten rule in baseball about showing up teammates on the field, and when Hamels showed his frustrations after Jimmy Rollins and Chase Utley could not turn an inning-ending double play in the fifth inning last night in Game 1 of the NLCS, he appeared to break that rule. Charlie Manuel said today before Game 2 that he would talk with Hamels about it. Rich Dubee had little to say, other than it would be handled internally.

"It's not going to look good ever," Hamels said. "Why do you allow guys to fist pump when they get out of an inning? We're very emotional, and this game is very hard, so when you get in those situations, you make the right pitch and something actually happens and then you're not able to come through, it's draining. But at the same time, you see the ticker and it's five innings, four earned runs."

Asked before the game about Hamels throwing up his arms, Rollins said, "So?"

So it didn't upset him? Rollins shook his head no.

"When you have a group of guys that we have here, those rules can be unwritten and rewritten and overlooked," Jayson Werth said. "It could really bother some people and disrupt a clubhouse. But since everybody knows each other so well and we believe in each other and we've got such a good thing going on here, it wouldn't necessarily be true for us. I've played on teams where that would have been a problem, but that's not this team. I don't think Cole was doing that to be malicious. He was just in the heat of the moment. I think Chase and Jimmy would overlook that because that's a play they could make. They didn't make it. It's part of the game. It's not a big deal, but I know what you're saying because I've seen it be a big deal."

Hamels said he thinks Rollins and Utley understood it happened in the heat of the moment.

"I'm so into the game. I'm a fan, too," Hamels said. "If this game was in Philly, what do you think the crowd would have done? It's high emotions, high intensity. You want to get things done, and I reacted just like the fans would have. But I'm supposed to be the professional and I'm not allowed to do that. I think they understand I didn't mean anything by it. It looks better to pitch 5 1/3 and give up one run vs. four, but the ultimate goal is to win. I'll say I'm sorry to the guys. I think we're such a good team and good teammates that they understand the frustrations."

I think the issue Dubee might have is not so much showing up his teammates, but the fact that Hamels has lost his focus a few times this season when things haven't gone his way and it has hurt him. Hamels acknowledged that to be the case last night, and three pitches later Manny Ramirez hit a two-run home run.

MDS

Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

PhillyPhreak54

Rome

Don Ho

Hey Sarge,

How was your experience at Dodger Stadium?  I just talked to my neighbor who was in LA two weeks ago on fall break with his kids and he went to the Dodgers/Rockies game on the Saturday they clinched.  Said the crowd was actually well behaved and he was cheering for the Rockies.  Said he saw very fee gang bangers.
"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.

Sgt PSN

Quote from: Don Ho on October 17, 2009, 06:45:59 PM
Hey Sarge,

How was your experience at Dodger Stadium?  I just talked to my neighbor who was in LA two weeks ago on fall break with his kids and he went to the Dodgers/Rockies game on the Saturday they clinched.  Said the crowd was actually well behaved and he was cheering for the Rockies.  Said he saw very fee gang bangers.

the stadium itself is less than impressive.  even from the outside, it's pretty bland looking. 

getting in and out of the parking lot farging SUCKS!  i think there's only like 2 entry/exit points.  we got there about 90 minutes early so getting in wasn't that bad for us, but if we tried showing up less than 45 minutes early, we would have missed the first 2 innings.  trying to leave, we pulled out of our parking spot, drove about 20 yards and then sat still for about an hour. 

even trying to exit the stadium itself was a frigging traffic jam.  the stairs and walkways aren't designed to allow more than 3 or 4 people to walk side by side. 

the section that we sat in was like the puerta vallerta section of dodger stadium.  all white people and no mexicans.  except for the vendors.  and chuggie.  we got some peanuts thrown at us, but that was about it.  the few people in our section who tried talking smack were weak and i silenced them fairly easily. 

chuggie picked up some groupies.  not suprisingly, they were 2 white dudes who had the giant foam fingers.  except instead of them being the #1 foam fingers, they were west side foam fingers.  yeah, giant foam fingers with the 2 middle fingers crosses to form a W.

the fans were quiet as hell too until the 8th inning.  up until that point, you could pretty much hear pin drop.  even chuggie was screaming to other dodger fans that they sucked.   

for the most part, i didn't have any problems.  mild ribbing and the peanut tossers, but that's pretty much to be expected. 

farg the bullpen. 

PhillyPhreak54

Looks like Blanton is the Game Four guy.

Good call. Happ can no longer be trusted and Blanton can go 7-8 without much effort. Just have to hope he doesn't give up some early like he is prone to do.

ice grillin you

Quote from: Rome on October 17, 2009, 07:16:59 AM
That was unpleasant yesterday.

and two days later the anger is stronger than ever...one of the hardest looses ive ever had to endure

they lose this series and 'gritty' chase utley goes down as an all time goat

im so ill that they wasted such an amazing performance by pedro

charlie is a moron and ja happ needs to be sent home...one look at his face when hes in these games and all you see is a scared little child out there....he cant see the field again

SICK
SICK
SICK
SICK
SICK

PUKE!!

i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

PhillyPhreak54

Yep, I'm still pissed too. You cannot piss away a start like that. Can't do it. I want winners!

There was an article on Happ awhile back on how he doesn't show any emotion out there and knows how to control himself (obviously doesn't know how to control the 1-2 pitches) and Dubee said that is one of the things they like about him. The emotion thing is something I will never understand. I hate the unwritten rule about being stoic on a baseball field and showing people up.

Get excited. The only thing I don't like it is when guys pimp a HR too hard. A little pose here and there, OK. Blatant posing, gets you a fastball in the ribs.

Rome

Going back to Philly up 2-0 would have been devastating for the Dodgers.  As it is they now know that the Phillies can be beaten even if they get great starting pitching.  That's why I was so effing upset about the loss.  Pedro was absolutely sick and the moment Cholly gave him the hook I turned to my buddy and said, "game over".

He had thrown a whopping 95 pitches but was still mowing the Dodgers down like they were helpless.

No reason to give him the thumb.  None at all.

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: Rome on October 18, 2009, 11:14:29 AM
Going back to Philly up 2-0 would have been devastating for the Dodgers.  As it is they now know that the Phillies can be beaten even if they get great starting pitching.  That's why I was so effing upset about the loss.  Pedro was absolutely sick and the moment Cholly gave him the hook I turned to my buddy and said, "game over".

He had thrown a whopping 95 pitches but was still mowing the Dodgers down like they were helpless.

No reason to give him the thumb.  None at all.

Except for Charlie saying he was "done, spent"...and the way Pedro is, I doubt he acquiesces unless he really is cooked. I seem to remember him saying something like since he hadn't pitched in awhile that he was done.

mpmcgraw

Quote from: ice grillin you on October 18, 2009, 09:46:20 AM
Quote from: Rome on October 17, 2009, 07:16:59 AM
That was unpleasant yesterday.
they lose this series and 'gritty' chase utley goes down as an all time goat
LOL I can't even take you seriously anymore.

If we lose this series it's because we got shut down by the likes of Vicente Padilla and Randy Wolf.  Just pathetic.

PhillyPhreak54

Saw on the Phils MB that there are tickets available for tonight below face on StubHub

PhillyPhreak54

A guy on the Phils MB went back and looked at Utley's run production...

Since August 22nd, Utley has not had a where he drives in more than 1 run.

Since July 17th he hasn't had more than 2 RBI in a game