2009 Philadelphia Phillies - Season's Over, Time to Move On

Started by SunMo, April 02, 2009, 01:24:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ice grillin you

well i dont know for sure but i just cant imagine the phillies going with three lefties against a team that hits lefties well and def better than righties...it would be colassally stupid

i doesnt even have to be five

$20 straight up on the series
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

MDS

you really wanna lose a 50 spot? you sure you can afford that oh wait yes you can.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Rome

You're beyond help if you would ever bet against the Phillies.

Sgt PSN

Quote from: Rome on October 14, 2009, 08:40:53 PM
You're beyond help if you would ever bet against the Phillies.

this is igy we're talking about here so he's got to be able to have a happy ending regardless of the outcome.  if the phils lose, he gets fruity drink money and gets to say "i told you so." and if the phils win, he says "well, i'd rather lose 20 and see the phils win."

regardless though, i think that since the phils made it back to the nlcs and are the first nl team in forever to even win a playoff series after winning it all, they have proven that last year was not a fluke and they definitely aren't frauds. 

mpmcgraw

I'm kind of with igy.

I honestly don't see us getting by this series.  Let alone in 5.

PhillyPhreak54

I'm not sure how I see it yet...

One on hand I can't possibly see the Phils getting baffled by Vicente and Wolf. I think Kuroda will give them trouble, even though he is coming off injury. If they can steal game one, that will be huge. Beat Kershaw and I think they will win the series.

On the other hand I can see how they could lose the series...If Cole stumbles again and they don't jump on 'em early, it could swing in LA's favor.

Them having George Sherrill is a big boost for the BP too; he's going to be seen a lot and I would hope Charlie is considering a small line-up change.

Maybe split up Utley and Howard? Could Vic hit 3rd? Would that be outrageous to even think about?

Sgt PSN

PhillyPhreak54

http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/3456/e1ac878560869508194f5e9.jpg

What in the hell is this guy wearing?!

Sarge...that would be more sensible, but with the way Rollins has been hitting I'd hesitate to put him 3rd.

Rollins
Utley
Vic
Howard
Werth
Ibanez
Feliz
Ruiz

Rollins
Utley
Werth
Howard
Vic
Ibanez
Feliz
Ruiz

PhillyPhreak54

Sgt PSN

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on October 14, 2009, 10:45:44 PM
http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/3456/e1ac878560869508194f5e9.jpg

What in the hell is this guy wearing?!

is that jose reyes?  oh wait, that guy's going to work in october so it can't be him.  nm

Sarge...that would be more sensible, but with the way Rollins has been hitting I'd hesitate to put him 3rd.

Rollins
Utley
Vic
Howard
Werth
Ibanez
Feliz
Ruiz

Rollins
Utley
Werth
Howard
Vic
Ibanez
Feliz
Ruiz

jimmy's not swinging a great stick so far but i think if you dropped him to 3rd and had howard hitting behind him, he'd see some more favorable pitches to swing at.  utley would still be batting behind vic, so i don't think that changes the type of pitches that vic would see in an at bat. 

you could make an argument for moving either vic or rollins to the 3 spot.  6 one way, a half dozen the other. 

PhillyPhreak54

QuoteSources: Myers, Kendrick off the NLCS roster; Bruntlett, Park on; Pedro definite for Game 2

Pedro Martinez will start Game 2 of the National League Championship Series, according to team sources.
Martinez, who has not pitched since Sept. 30 and has not lasted more than three innings since Sept. 13, threw a simulated game Tuesday.

"He's did enough work that I'm confident sending him out," manager Charlie Manuel said before the decision was revealed. "I think he is capable of throwing anywhere from 75-90 pitches, maybe 95, maybe even 100. But I think that gets us into the sixth inning or the seventh, and I think that where we're at with out pitching and everything, that would work...he threw a simulated game yesterday, and what I saw, I liked his stuff."

Joe Blanton was another candidate to start Game 2 , but Manuel said that Blanton and J.A. Happ would spend the "first few games" in the bullpen. Lee pitched on Monday, and would not be on full rest until Sunday's Game 3.

"I definitely look at Joe Blanton as a starter," the manager said. "(But) he is the guy who can really set our bullpen up. In front of those (Ryan Madson and Brad Lidge), he gives me some leverage in the back... he is the guy who can mentally go get 'em, and the grit and the desire and whatever you want to say.

Blanton was not yet sure what his role in the series would be. "I have no idea," he said. "I'll do whatever they want me to do."

The Los Angeles Dodgers said yesterday that their playoff rotation would consist of Clayton Kershaw today, Vicente Padilla tomorrow, Huroki Kuroda on Sunday and Randy Wolf on Monday.

Also according to team sources, righthander Chan Ho Park and utilityman Eric Bruntlett were added to the NLCS roster, and righthanders Brett Myers and Kyle Kendrick were not.

Park (hamstring) threw three bullpen sessions in Clearwater, Fla. in the past week, and said yesterday that he was ready to pitch.

"Feels good," he said. "Yeah, I'm ready. Really ready."

"I think health-wise, he's there,"  said general manager Ruben Amaro Jr.

Myers never appeared to recover from a muscle strain in his upper back suffered in September. He also underwent hip surgery in June.

Bruntlett gives the team another option for late-inning defense and pinch-running

MDS

bruntlett they added when manuel stuck himself with miguel cairo in leftfield in the ninth inning of game 4. always logical thinking to expect that to happen again.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

PhillyPhreak54

Or pinch running Cliff Lee.

When he was in there I was expecting a collision at home or him rounding 3rd and tearing his knee up

MDS

well theres no reason to ever pinch run anyone until they reach second, unless you plan on having them steal a base. but yes that would be another reason.

Seabiscuit36

love Pedro getting the 2nd Start, gets Lee ready.  2 cy young winners and a WS/NLCS MVP i'll take that start.  Now pitch like it
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons