2009 Philadelphia Phillies - Season's Over, Time to Move On

Started by SunMo, April 02, 2009, 01:24:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LBIggle

the cardinals might have limped in in 06 but the phillies are a notoriously streaky team, so it is understandable to want to see them win a couple games convincingly.  no dramatics, bats waking up.. etc.  sort of like tonight.  hopefully they build on this and go into the postseason hot.  its nice to see madson locking down the ass end of the bullpen.  i saw lidge warming up after the 8th and almost shtein all over the place.  also nice to see romero back and hopefully myers can get into some resemblance of his former bullpen self.  hope the moyer injury isn't too serious. i think he just thought he gave up the homer and faked the injury.

Sgt PSN

every playoff team in the nl is limping into the playoffs.  the farging dodgers just got their asses handed to them by the farging pirates. 

ice grillin you

Quote from: MDS on September 29, 2009, 11:17:11 PM
they clinced the nl east in may.

who cares they need to have the best record in the world series or its huge season FAIL
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

MDS

Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

PhillyPhreak54

Any word on Moyer's injury? Did the old man break his hip or something?

PhillyPhreak54

Quote"You've got to be tough, and you've got to be mentally tough. I think that's one thing in common I've got with Philadelphia. They always say how mentally tough, or how tough they are, how rough they are? I belong here, then. Because I've been tough, and ever since I've been in baseball, I've been a fighter, and I come to whip your ass every day. If I can beat you 100-0 I will everyday."

Charlie is great

Eaglez

The streakiness of the Phils is probably the concern going into the final games.  Plus, there were some relatively close parallels with what the Braves were doing and what the Phils have done the past two seasons.  The margin that needed to be narrowed was much larger but still those thoughts creep in the back of your mind. 

Plus, I think we've been spoiled from last year.  I want to say the Phils were 88-0 with a lead going into the 9th inning last year.  This year I want to say they have around 12 losses when they had a lead going into the 9th inning.  The ability to close out games with this team is a real concern that doesn't engender a lot of confidence. 

Sgt PSN

they've gotta have more than 12.  lidge has blown 11 saves and i think madson has blown between 4 and 6.  so that's 15-17 blown leads in the 9th alone and i'm sure that another reliever or 2 has probably blown a game in the 9th as well. 

and i think the phils have lost close to 25 games that they led heading into the 8th inning as well.   we knew that madson and lidge wouldn't be as lights out as they were last year because that type of success is almost impossible to sustain in a sport like baseball, but you gotta figure if they were even half of what they were last year, you could easily chalk another 10-12 wins up there for the phils. 

this team really, truly could/should be up there with the yankees. 

ice grillin you

Rome

Believe it or not the Phillies actually lead the NL in Saves with 44 and are only 6th worst in blown saves with 22.

The Dodgers have 26 blown saves to "lead" the league.

Sheesh.

Eaglez

I didn't want to overstate it because not every blown save results in a loss and not every loss means that the Phils had a lead in the 9th inning either (it could have been tied going into the 9th and they just came out on the losing end).  So without going back and looking I didn't want to equate every blown save with a loss.  And I think I do remember the Phils end up winning some games in late innings when Lidge blew saves early too. 

But evidently it has been too many times to really be comfortable with the ability to hold late inning leads. 

Sgt PSN

the dodgers are probably the only playoff team that has bigger bullpen issues than the phils.  they came into the season having no established closer on the roster but no one seemed to notice because they resigned manny.  

Eaglez

Quote from: Rome on September 30, 2009, 11:37:21 AM
Believe it or not the Phillies actually lead the NL in Saves with 44 and are only 6th worst in blown saves with 22.

The Dodgers have 26 blown saves to "lead" the league.

Sheesh.

Yeah, it seems like blown saves are more common than we would imagine.  Lidge is having a tremendously poor individual year, but it seems like all the other teams have their blown saves "spread out" over numerous pitchers.  If you look at some pens I'm sure you'll find pitchers that are 2/5 in save opportunities, etc. and in the aggregate that probably leads to a pretty zesty save percentage. 

ice grillin you

the dodgers dont play in philadelphia

who gives a flying farg about the dodgers