2009 Philadelphia Phillies - Season's Over, Time to Move On

Started by SunMo, April 02, 2009, 01:24:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seabiscuit36

"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

Sgt PSN

try working on the weekends.  it's great for the sense of humor. 

PhillyPhreak54

Know what else is good for one's sense of humor?

Watching Shane Victorino hit with a runner on 3rd base and less than two outs.

Sgt PSN

nice job by colbert giving up the lead.  equally nice job by colbert knocking in the go ahead run in the top half of the next inning. 

raul is getting back to his pre-all star break form.  :yay

Sgt PSN

rain delay heading into the btm of the 8th.  i'm rooting for the game to get called because bad weather might just be the best closer the phils have right now. 

PhillyPhreak54

QuoteMyers headed to Miami; Phils adjust rotation UPDATED

UPDATED 8:20PM:
Brett Myers boarded an airplane to South Florida last night, ready to re-join the Phillies today and hoping to pitch by early next week. But a timetable set by the team was more conservative.

An MRI in Philadelphia today showed that Myers suffered a grade one strain of his right latissimus dorsi (back) muscle, a team spokesman announced last night. Myers is scheduled to throw a bullpen session next Tuesday, and the Phillies hope—but did not guarantee—that he would return by the end of the regular season.

Reached by telephone this afternoon, Myers told the Inquirer that he was optimistic about appearing in a game early next week.

"I think I could be ready by the homestand," which begins Monday, Myers said. "My strength is good."\

Myers' injury could have been a side effect of making five relief appearances in seven days after returning from the disabled list. The righthander did not pitch in a major-league game from May 27-Sept 5 because of right hip surgery.

Phils reliever Chad Durbin suffered the same injury earlier this season, and said that it affected his mechanics and lowered his arm angle.

If Myers is able to return, he will then need to demonstrate—as will all the injured Phils relievers who hope to come back this season—that he can be healthy and effective enough to contribute in the postseason.

Also some changes in the rotation: The Phillies flipped Pedro Martinez and Cliff Lee. Lee will start Friday at Milwaukee, and Martinez is tentatively scheduled for Saturday's game.

J.A. Happ will start on Thursday, good news for a team concerned about the lefthander's nagging side muscle strain.

Martinez left Saturday's loss to Atlanta after three innings with neck stiffness. He saw a chiropractor after arriving in Miami, and the Phillies hope that the extra day of rest will be sufficient.

Martinez played catch yesterday, and also created some confusion by appearing to mention a new injury. "I feel a little bit better," he said. "I think I had a rib out of place."

General manager Ruben Amaro Jr. seemed unaware of the apparent rib issue, and was hopeful that Martinez would be ready Saturday.

Latissimus Dorsi!

I wonder if someone would name their kid that.

Hello, I'd like you to meet my wife Katie and our son Latissimus.

Sgt PSN

like anyone would ever be able to figure out what a litissimus dorsi is. 

MDS

its beyond a joke at this point

manuel: wake up. please. pleeeeeeeeeeeeeease.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

PhillyPhreak54

Everything is fine!

They lost that farging game?!?!?!?!?

Nope. No reason to worry! Bullpen = fantastic!

Sgt PSN

BigEd76

LBIggle

at this point he shouldn't be on the playoff roster, he serves no purpose.  i hope manuel doesn't think his loyalty to lidge will be equal to the fans loyalty for him if he's stupid enough to keep putting that abortion of a closer on the mound. 

QB Eagles

I stopped following the game in the 8th, and based on what I see here I guess there's no reason for me to find a recap. Goddamn, I can't believe it happened again.

Don Ho

Ok, not to panic................yet.  For the Braves to catch the Phils, the Bums will need to go 4-7 and the Braves will have to go 10-0 over the next week and a half. 
"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: QB Eagles on September 24, 2009, 01:59:23 AM
I stopped following the game in the 8th, and based on what I see here I guess there's no reason for me to find a recap. Goddamn, I can't believe it happened again.

Me too. I didn't know what happened until I read Todd's comments.

Use Myers as the closer. Please!