Previous topic - Next topic

ice grillin you

i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

mpmcgraw

Don Ho

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on September 18, 2009, 02:08:21 PM
Interesting article; I wonder what caused Crawford to go apeshtein...

Looking at that perpetual scowl on Burrell's face all year finally led Crawford to snap.
"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.

Rome

The Phillies are 15-3 against the Nats and 70-57 against everyone else including 6-12 against the AL.  They have serious bullpen issues, and they haven't been hitting the ball consistently all year (other than home runs anyway).

It's nice that they have a big lead but let's take a second and breathe before annointing them as anything other than a good team with serious flaws.

Sgt PSN

luckily, every other team heading into the postseason has flaws as well.

yankees - other than cc, their starting rotation not very impressive although petite is a proven postseason pitcher.  their offense is great in ny, but so-so on the road...only 97 of their 223 hr have been on the road.  and the phils did go 2-1 against them this year and easily should have swept (lidge).

dodgers/cardinals - can't score.  dodgers won 4 of 7 against the phils but the 4 game series in la is another woulda, shoulda coulda been a sweep (lidge). 

phils went 4-1 vs the cards, hitting .324 as a team and scored 40 runs against them.  I have nothing to contribute. 

angels - they have the worst team era (4.56) of any team currently in a playoff position and are ranked 23rd in all of baseball.  they also have a 4.57 era out of the bullpen.  the angels really don't matter though because they're going to get swept by boston in the first round anyway. 

only the dodgers and cardinals have better overall numbers from their pitching staffs in terms of era.  dodgers are ranked 1 in mlb (3.41) followed by the cardinals at 4 (3.66) and then the phillies at 7 (4.09)

boston (10), texas (13), detroit (14), nyy (18) and laa (23)

the phils might also have the best starting rotation going in to the playoffs as well.  cards have a great 1/2 but not much after.  if the giants manage to get in, then maybe they have the best rotation but right now they are on the outside looking in. 

the phils also have the luxury now of having possibly 4 pitchers in the bullpen with starting exp (myers, park, moyer, happ/pedro)

this will come in quite handy in the event that a starter gets knocked out early or an early rain delay and requires a pitcher to come in and hold the fort down for 4 or 5 innings.  no other team in baseball has that luxury right now. 

who knows if any of this crap makes a difference though.  if it did, then there'd be no point in watching. 

Don Ho

"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.

ice grillin you

sarge is right the phils are far from perfect but so is almost everyone else but maybe the sox and yankees...the phillies are at worst the #3 favorite in MLB going into the playoffs and when looking at it common sensically they are tied for first with maybe three four other teams....this is different than say last year where no one thought they were going to win it all

cliff lees presence as a game 2 starter cannot be underestimated

Sgt PSN

so you go hamels/lee in the playoffs and not the other way around? 

if hamels pitches in his next 2 starts like he has in his last 4, then maybe i can buy off on that.  otherwise, i think you gotta go with lee. 

PhillyPhreak54

I heard Steve Phillips' bitchass talking about this the other day and I agreed...I think Hamels, especially with how he's throwing now, gets the Game One nod. He's an OG and he's money in the playoffs.

Hamels
Lee

So who pitches game three?

Blanton, Pedro or Happ?

Although Happ is gettin' the hook early because he injured himself. Looks like he tweaked the side muscle again

Sgt PSN

ice grillin you

Quote from: Sgt PSN on September 18, 2009, 08:21:01 PM
so you go hamels/lee in the playoffs and not the other way around? 

if hamels pitches in his next 2 starts like he has in his last 4, then maybe i can buy off on that.  otherwise, i think you gotta go with lee. 

you have to give it to hamels for seniority and of course his double mvp post season last year....its a no brainer imo and would be a huge slap in the face of hamels if he wanst the game one guy

ice grillin you

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on September 18, 2009, 08:27:14 PM
I heard Steve Phillips' bitchass talking about this the other day and I agreed...I think Hamels, especially with how he's throwing now, gets the Game One nod. He's an OG and he's money in the playoffs.

Hamels
Lee

So who pitches game three?

Blanton, Pedro or Happ?

Although Happ is gettin' the hook early because he injured himself. Looks like he tweaked the side muscle again

happ before this injury was in the bullpen for the playoffs

blanton and pedro i suppose needs to play itself out still...its way to early to make a judgement on pedro yet

ice grillin you

Sgt PSN

Quote from: ice grillin you on September 18, 2009, 09:01:49 PM
ben francisco moron alert

there's really no reason to try stealing 3rd with 1 out and ryan howard at the plate.