2009 Philadelphia Phillies - Season's Over, Time to Move On

Started by SunMo, April 02, 2009, 01:24:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mpmcgraw

Did I say anything about you? 

I'm saying he is a better player than Rollins, he is a HOFer and one of the best to ever play his position and he is also white which in Philly counts for something so yea obviously he is going to be universally liked more than Rollins.

ice grillin you

color has nothing to do with...its all about looks...take out the girl factor and utley has a real solid fanbase of old men who thinks he plays the game the right way more so than any other player...but choke would definitely be more liked and probably jimmy to if not for the ho's and johnny come lately pissants like munson

and he also isnt better than rollins...better hitter not better player
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

mpmcgraw

He is 100x the hitter and 10x the player.

There is just no way you can make a case that Rollins is a better player.  Utley's worst full season offensively was better than Rollins's best.  Offensively Utley is on a completely different level. 

Rollins is a much better fielder, but Utley is by most metrics a very good second baseman.

Its nice that he is a great defensive shortstop, but it doesn't come close to making up the difference.

Rollins is no where near the player Utley is.

SunMo

I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

ice grillin you

rollins is way better than utley in every way possible except hitting...and even then utley is a great hitter for his position but his numbers arent overwhelming or anything...hes really really good and amazingly consistent but what 3 hole hitter couldnt hit 30 homer and 100 rbi in this lineup in this park

hell jimmy would go for .290 25 and 100 (utleys like .295 30 and 105) in the three hole plus hed be dominant over utley defensively speed and leadership

and theres just no possible way utley could have guaranteed the division like jimmy did in 07 then go out and win an mvp behind...simply one of the greatest achievements in sports history

ice grillin you

and for the record and to be clear that im in no way hating on utley i love guy and have not one bad thing to say about him...but jimmy is a little better

Sgt PSN

Quote from: ice grillin you on September 04, 2009, 01:01:55 PM
rollins is way better than utley in every way possible except hitting...and even then utley is a great hitter for his position but his numbers arent overwhelming or anything...hes really really good and amazingly consistent but what 3 hole hitter couldnt hit 30 homer and 100 rbi in this lineup in this park

hell jimmy would go for .290 25 and 100 (utleys like .295 30 and 105) in the three hole plus hed be dominant over utley defensively speed and leadership

and theres just no possible way utley could have guaranteed the division like jimmy did in 07 then go out and win an mvp behind...simply one of the greatest achievements in sports history

this.  jimmy's problem at the plate isn't that he can't hit.  it's that he's the type of hitter who isn't really suited for the leadoff spot.  but that's not really jimmy's fault.  it's not like this lineup really has anyone that fits the mold of a true leadoff hitter.  from 1-9, this team strikes out alot. 

Quote from: ice grillin you on September 04, 2009, 01:02:58 PM
and for the record and to be clear that im in no way hating on utley i love guy and have not one bad thing to say about him...but jimmy is a little better

and this.

mpmcgraw

Utley is a better baserunner than Rollins.  By any credible account, scout and stat alike Utley is the or one of the best baserunners in the majors.   

This is not debatable.  Being faster does not make you a better baserunner.

Utley's offensive numbers are actually overwhelming.  He is the best hitter in the NL next to Pujols, at least until Hanley goes berserk next year.   Now I wouldn't expect you to grasp why and I don't really feel like arguing with you because you either have to watch a ton of games or have a remedial understanding of what makes a great offensive player and well...

As far as leadership I'm not going to get into any of that bullshtein.  You have no foot to stand on when talking about it because you are basing it off what exactly?  Rollins telling you he is a leader?  He's alot like McNabb in that department and the corny comments.

mpmcgraw

ha interesting timing

QuoteBob (Denver)

Is Chase Utley the 'Derek Jeter' of the NL? Albeit without the dating prowess...
Jerry Crasnick
(12:56 PM)

Bob, There are a lot of similarities. They're great baserunners and attentive to all the little things. And they don't have to say a lot to get their point across. I was talking to a Phillies player last night who told me, "Guys in this clubhouse don't want to mess up, because they don't want to disappoint Chase.'' That was amazing to hear.

ice grillin you

no one isnt saying he isnt gritty and works hard...he has to do that because he doesnt have the ultra talent that a jimmy has...hes just not a better player than rollins

and theres no chance hes even close to as good a baserunner...just because he has to be smart to get an extra base instead of using straight speed and not even thinking about it like rollins doesnt mean hes better..and the disaprity in sb's is just ridiculous...not to mention the extra bases rollins gets because of his speed...you can try and billy beane it up all you want but it will never be true

PhillyPhreak54

Just pulled what looks to be pretty decent seats off of stub hub for tonights game..section 111 12 rows off the field for 18 bucks a piece.

BigEd76

Rome

rjs246

I'm getting a kick out of IGY's assertion that Rollins is a better player than Utley. I seriously can't figure out what measuring stick you could possibly use to come to that conclusion other than preferred race.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

Rome

Offensively there's no comparison.    Rollins is better defensively by far, though.