2009 Philadelphia Phillies - Season's Over, Time to Move On

Started by SunMo, April 02, 2009, 01:24:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LBIggle

they need to manufacture runs and close out games in the playoffs and they can't do either.  yes, they can ride their starters not named lee .. and we saw what happened last night.  everyone knows their offense is awesome.. and they beat up on some teams.. but its obvious they struggle when its a low scoring close game where they need to manufacture runs and close out games cleanly.  that kind of sounds like a playoff game.  its not the end of the season and i'm not flipping out or whatever your talking about. obviously  the offense isn't changing.. but in regards to closer they should try myers out there when he gets back.. he has closer experience and will only be able to pitch bullpen.  pedro should also be inserted as some sort of set up man when they drop to a 4 man.  until then ill just complain here and watch you guys get bent out of shape about it.

MDS

Quote from: jihadist monk on August 28, 2009, 05:38:26 AM
They have the highest OPS with RISP.  They have the highest OPS overall.

They are by far the best lineup in the NL.

Shut up. 

hitting 3 run homers all the time sure will do that

they suck at manufacturing runs, moving guys over, bunting, sac flys, etc. its all in for the big homer. its worked, so you cant complain too much but this team is what is.

hamels and happ could be $ but they most likely will be 6 or 7 inning guys in october. that means you need 9-12 outs from the bullpen which is tall order.

they already won the nl east and will get colorado or san fran in the playoffs. up until then its all meaningless bullshtein.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

mpmcgraw

Bunting is almost always counterproductive to scoring runs.

This team scores more runs than any other team in the NL.

THE END.

ice grillin you

cause they hit the most homers and score 15 runs one day and 8 the next series...which is fine...its just not why they will win it all

they will win the world series if the staff bucks up and they wont if it doesnt....same as last year

i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

mpmcgraw

Any one of Howard, Utley, and to a lesser extent Werth can carry the offense through a series.

Last year the offense was tearing shtein up in September and hit their down swing in the playoffs.  If the offense gets hot in the playoffs, its over.  We could throw Jim Bunning's crazy ass out there and it wouldn't make a difference.

MDS

Quote from: jihadist monk on August 28, 2009, 01:59:05 PM
Bunting is almost always counterproductive to scoring runs.

This team scores more runs than any other team in the NL.

THE END.

pitchers you dolt. otherwise, yes, bunting is pointless.

and yea, they score runs off the homer. its all good. but they cant hit sac flys and situationaly score. no doubt they have a great offense but the numbers arent the end all be all. though someone who barely got into community college might not be able to recognize that.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

mpmcgraw

Idiot, when or when you don't hit sacrifice flys is completely luck.

No one tries to hit a sacrifice fly and the Phillies hit plenty of fly balls. 

The Phillies are also one of the best baserunning teams in the majors.  Basically everything the regular 8 can control, they are good at.

MDS

explain how hitting a flyball is luck. seems to me a skilled athlete should be able to that. getting a hit is a different story.

Don Ho

Quote from: jihadist monk on August 28, 2009, 02:07:45 PM
Last year the offense was tearing shtein up in September and hit their down swing in the playoffs.  

Well, they have 4 days to get their shtein together.

WTF with PNC and the Phils?  Guess the exhausting trip to Pittsburgh is to much.
"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.

ice grillin you

Quote from: jihadist monk on August 28, 2009, 02:07:45 PM
Any one of Howard, Utley, and to a lesser extent Werth can carry the offense through a series.

Last year the offense was tearing shtein up in September and hit their down swing in the playoffs.  If the offense gets hot in the playoffs, its over.  We could throw Jim Bunning's crazy ass out there and it wouldn't make a difference.

most offenses dont hit an upswing in october because youre facing superior pitching to what you face in the reg season

and of the offenses that can do that it certainly isnt the phillies...they arent the kind of offense that can step up against very good pitching over an extended period ie a series...luckily in the NL there isnt a team that can...which is why it will come down to pitching...where the phils have an advantage with their offense is if their picthing matches or come close to matching the opponent...because when thats a wash the phils have an advantage over anyone on the offensive side

ice grillin you

Quote from: MDS on August 28, 2009, 02:17:36 PM
explain how hitting a flyball is luck.

lol its not...just like hitting a ball the other way isnt luck

MDS

mpmcgraw

It is, its obvious.

Hitting a ball is hard enough, they are worried about hitting the ball not making an out, they just want to put a good swing on the ball.  Thats all ANY player wants.  No one tries to hit a flyball.

I don't expect either of you to understand because one of you is fat and has shown a lack of understanding in even the most basic concepts and the other is a silly skinny little jew and neither of you probably even played baseball past pee wee.

Basically you guys suck. 

SunMo

my calculator says this player is good, i don't have to watch games to know stuff, i'm neat!
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

Rome