2009 Philadelphia Phillies - Season's Over, Time to Move On

Started by SunMo, April 02, 2009, 01:24:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MDS

there is a 0% chance victorino and werth dont swap bong hits after games

i dont see him as a cokehead, too laid back and weird for that shtein
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

rjs246

Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

Rome

Is Jamie Moyer farging kidding here or what?

QuoteI was on the radio before the clubhouse opened and was asked if Moyer would criticize the team for moving him to the bullpen. I said no, Jamie Moyer might be privately grousing, but he is way to savvy and protective of his own image to rip the team in public. I was very, very, wrong.

Here's a more fully fleshed out description of the events as they unfolded:
Jamie Moyer sat alone in the stands at Wrigley Field this afternoon, staring at the infield. He made his major league debut here on June 16, 1986, pitching for the Cubs against the Phillies and his boyhood hero, Steve Carlton.

After a few silent minutes, he sent for the media, and expressed strong displeasure about a late-career development. Moyer, 46, is 10-9, with a 5.47 earned run average this season, and Monday was assigned to the bullpen to accommodate Pedro Martinez, who will make his Phillies debut today as a member of the starting rotation.

"I'm really not happy with this decision that the Phillies have made," Moyer said. "I will take what they've asked me to do, but I'm not real excited about the decision that's been made."

Moyer said that, when he negotiated his TK contract with the Phils last winter, he felt that an understanding existed between him, general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. and owner David Montgomery that he would start.

"I feel like I've been misled," Moyer said.   "I'm a little disheartened a little bit because I know this past winter when I was negotiating with the Phillies, this was a sore thumb, if you will, about this potentially happening. Ruben [Amaro Jr.], you can't promise anything in this game, but I really felt that Ruben kind of parlayed to me that this type of situation would not happen.

"I actually even had some conversation with David [Montgomery], and them reassuring me this type of situation won't happen. Again, I'm a little disheartened by the way it's happened, how it's happened."

Amaro and Montgomery were not in Chicago with the team. Amaro said through a team representative that "When we signed Jamie Moyer it was under the pretense of him being a starter. But right now circumstances have changed....we're not going to get into any contract negotiations. That's between players and club."

Manager Charlie Manuel said that the decision to remove Moyer from the rotation was agonizing. "The toughest decision I ever made," Manuel said. "It was very hard. What do you want me to say?"

Manuel added that while he did not know what Moyer's role in the bullpen would be, he would feel comfortable utilizing the lefty as he does Scott Eyre, in hey situations against lefthanded hitters.

"We will look for places to pitch him and keep him sharp and you never know what's going to happen," he said.

Martinez said that "he has all the regard in the world" for Moyer. "I don't have enough words to say how I feel about Jamie."

Moyer, on the other hand, has no trouble finding words. "Whether I like it or not, this is the situation I'm in," he said. "I will deal with it. I will deal with it in a respectful way. I'll be respectful to my teammates. I do not want to be a distraction, and I refuse to be a distraction. It's about the 25 players that are here and are playing. We all have to pick each other up. We all have to support each other And we all have to be professional."

Yeah, nothing says "professional" like stinking up the joint for the entire season and then bitching about only getting sent to the bullpen.  Dude's lucky they didn't DFA his ass.

ice grillin you

stinking up the joint and getting 6.5 mil to do so

when hes out of baseball next year and getting another 6.5 mil i bet we dont hear a peep out of him about how hes caking off for doing nothing...which btw i dont begrudge him...hes earned that money over a great 20 year career and was instrumental in winning the phils a ws...for that he could make 100 mil next year and i wouldnt care...but jesus shut the farg up about this year....you have been HORRIBLE
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Rome

I honestly can't believe he's pissed off about being benched.  I mean, he's been horrible.  Like batting practice awful.  I appreciate what he did for the Phils last year, but farg it... last year is over.

reese125

what part of the word business doesnt he understand?

somebody give him dawkins' cell phone number

QB Eagles

Fact of the matter is that if he was one of their top 5 starting prospects, he'd be out there. Until Pedro shows that he sucks, Moyer clearly doesn't meet that standard. Is that the Phillies fault?

Don Ho

"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.

Don Ho

Well, I guess it's a farging miracle they're even in this game with 3 2 measly hits.
"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.

MDS

Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

BigEd76

Moyer's next start guarantees him $250K and as of now he hasn't hit any of his bonuses for this year or next.  That's why he's pissed...

Tonight's game was a joke and I can't believe they won.  3 hits....only 1 with the bases empty (the HR)

phillymic2000

What a great time tonight at Wrigley. Highlight of the left field bleachers was a cub fan getting in a yelling match with Soriano. When security got there, the guy threw his shirt and his flip flops in the air and did the "you can't see me" hand gesture that Soriano does. funny ish.

LBIggle

whiney old vadge.  he's basically the worst starter in the league right now.  what were they talking about with a 6 man rotation? any of his starts require a minimum of 6 runs scored.  he's lucky they got pedro to take his place instead of embarrassing him with a 4 man rotation when it gets to be crunch time.. and he sure wasn't pitching in the playoffs this year.  he should be lucky he even has a spot on the defending world champs still.  thanks for last year.. but seriously, get lost and take lidge with you.  their not repeating with him as the closer.  and madson sure isn't the answer.  maybe myers will be returning just in time?

ice grillin you

if lidge gets yanked from the closer role i guarantee he wont complain...he will say i have stunk the joint up and i dont deserve to be the closer right now

btw say what you want about the phils...and i have...they are a flawed champion until proven otherwise...but whatever they are one thing they most definitely arent is weak...in fact they are one of the mentally toughest teams ive ever seen...last nite was a great gut check win...hung in just long enough to get filthy ass harden out of the game....then on the road in a nutso enviroment (is there a more sustained loudness in baseball than wrigley field...that place is insane) they could have easily packed it in after POS lidge gave up the run...and seeing bencisco get the gw hr was perfect as he officially became part of the "room"
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

PhillyGirl

IGY, what WS team doesn't have flaws? Especially now in retrospect that we are learning all of these WS teams had roid monkeys playing.

I mean, really. Your logic is ridiculous.
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen