2009 Philadelphia Phillies - Season's Over, Time to Move On

Started by SunMo, April 02, 2009, 01:24:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MDS

go have another bowl of pasta primavera you piece of shtein riccardi
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Seabiscuit36

"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

Seabiscuit36

Cliff Lee is on Jody Mac's show right now, and Jody is saying Mathieson is on a flight to Reading after beign scratched today
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

SD_Eagle5

Ken Rosenthal reports the potential deal is Carlos Carrasco, Jason Knapp, Lou Marson and Jason Donald for Cliff Lee and one other.

reese125

Quote from: SD_Eagle on July 29, 2009, 11:55:24 AM
Rosenthal:
QuotePhils' prospect at center of Lee talks — 11:10 a.m.

To trade Roy Halladay, the Blue Jays want the Phillies to part with both left-hander J.A. Happ and right-hander Kyle Drabek.

The Phillies might get Indians left-hander Cliff Lee without trading either pitcher.

Class A right-hander Jason Knapp is the centerpiece of the Phillies' offer for Lee, a major-league source says.

Knapp, who does not turn 19 until Aug. 31, is currently sidelined with shoulder stiffness, and much further away from the majors than Happ and Drabek.

One scout, however, says Knapp's upside is greater than Drabek's, calling the 6-foot-5, 215-pound righty a "Halladay clone."

The Phillies would need to add other quality prospects to obtain Lee. They are also in the mix for Mariners left-hander Jarrod Washburn

I'd rather give up Happ than Knapp. I could live with giving up Knapp considering he's probably 3-4 years away from the bigs as is.

exactly-its not like the window is so huge for the phillies to win a world series here. by the time your boy knapp even is ready, you'll have an aging infield, ibanez will bagging groceries and who knows who the phillies hold on to pithing-wise

in other words--they can have knapp, happ and any of the other guys whos last name rhymes if it means getting a quality pithcher to take this pennant this year or next

Seabiscuit36

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/9866498/MLB-trade-deadline-buzz:-Wednesday%27s-edition

With the July 31 MLB non-waiver trade deadline fast approaching, FOXSports.com baseball reporters Ken Rosenthal and Jon Paul Morosi have all the latest buzz. All times below are ET.

More buzz: Last week | Monday | Tuesday | Wednesday

Sources: Phils reach agreement on Lee — Updated 1:34 p.m.

Cliff Lee: '09 stats
Cliff Lee
Cliff Lee
Cleveland Indians
Starting pitcher
G

W-L

IP

ERA

K

BB

7-9

The Phillies have reached agreement with the Indians on a trade that would bring them left-hander Cliff Lee and outfielder Ben Francisco for Class A right-hander Jason Knapp, Class AAA right-hander Carlos Carrasco, shortstop Jason Donald and catcher Lou Marson, according to major-league sources.

The deal is pending a review of medical records.

Carrasco was scratched from his start for the Class AAA Lehigh IronPigs on Wednesday, and Donald and Marson were not in the lineup. It was not known whether Donald and Marson had scheduled off-days for an 11 a.m. start after a night game.

Talks remain fluid — the Phillies also are talking to the Mariners about left-hander Jarrod Washburn, and the Dodgers planned to make a "hard push" for Lee on Wednesday, according to a sourc

SD_Eagle5

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/9866900/Sources:-Phils-reach-agreement-for-Indians

QuoteSources: Phils reach agreement for Indians' Lee
by Ken Rosenthal
Ken Rosenthal has been the senior baseball writer for FOXSports.com since Aug. 2005. He appears weekly on the FSN Baseball Report and MLB on FOX.

add this RSS blog email print
Updated: July 29, 2009, 1:34 PM EDT 7 comments
The Phillies have reached agreement with the Indians on a trade that would bring them left-hander Cliff Lee and outfielder Ben Francisco for Class A right-hander Jason Knapp, Class AAA right-hander Carlos Carrasco, shortstop Jason Donald and catcher Lou Marson, according to major-league sources.

Latest MLB buzz Trade buzz: What's going down as the MLB trade deadline draws near? Ken Rosenthal and Jon Paul Morosi have all the latest news and notes. 
The deal is pending a review of medical records.

Carrasco was scratched from his start for the Class AAA Lehigh IronPigs on Wednesday, and Donald and Marson were not in the lineup. It was not known whether Donald and Marson had scheduled off-days for an 11 a.m. start after a night game.

Talks remain fluid — the Phillies also are talking to the Mariners about left-hander Jarrod Washburn, and the Dodgers planned to make a "hard push" for Lee on Wednesday, according to a source.

But if the deal described by the source is accurate, the Lee trade would be a coup for both the Phillies and Indians.

The Phillies would be getting the reigning American League Cy Young Award winner for the rest of 2009 and '10 without giving up any of the three players the Blue Jays initially wanted for Roy Halladay — left-hander J.A. Happ, right-hander Kyle Drabek and outfielder Dominic Brown.

The Indians, meanwhile, would be getting four of the Phillies' top 10 prospects according to Baseball America's preseason rankings. Carrasco was rated second, Marson third, Donald fourth and Knapp 10th.

Knapp, who does not turn 19 until Aug. 31, is currently sidelined with shoulder stiffness, but one scout says his upside is greater than Drabek's, calling the 6-foot-5, 215-pound righty a "Halladay clone."

It is possible that the Indians could send the Phillies money in the trade to cover part of Lee's remaining salary — slightly less than $2 million this season, plus a $9 million club option for 2010.

Teams routinely include cash in deals to secure better prospects. The Phillies' payroll is a club-record $130 million, which is one reason the club has balked at a Halladay deal.

Cliff Lee: '09 stats

Cliff Lee
Cleveland Indians
Starting pitcher
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

G W-L IP ERA K BB
22 7-9 152 3.14 107 33
Halladay is owed about $4.75 million this season and $15.75 million next year, and the Phillies did not want to give up their best prospects while assuming those salaries.

The Phillies, however, initially preferred Halladay to Lee because they already have three left-handers in their rotation — Cole Hamels, Jamie Moyer and Happ.

Lee won the AL's top pitching honor in 2008, going 22-3 with a 2.54 ERA and 170 strikeouts in 31 starts. He is 7-9 with a 3.14 ERA so far this season for the struggling Indians

Seabiscuit36

Eagles_Legendz

:yay :yay

Keeping Happ/Taylor/Brown/Drabek and they get a right handed bat for the bench.

SD_Eagle5

Quote from: Eagles_Legendz on July 29, 2009, 01:46:34 PM
:yay :yay

Keeping Happ/Taylor/Brown/Drabek and they get a right handed bat for the bench.

Plus they farg over Ricciardi in the process

win/win/win/win

SD_Eagle5

MDS

easy died a few days ago. i cant see any other explanation for him not being on top of this.

rip buddy.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Seabiscuit36

PhillyGirl

Quote from: MDS on July 29, 2009, 02:15:27 PM
easy died a few days ago. i cant see any other explanation for him not being on top of this.

rip buddy.

I thought he said he was going on vacation?
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen