2009 Philadelphia Phillies - Season's Over, Time to Move On

Started by SunMo, April 02, 2009, 01:24:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhillyGirl

jesus...bar fights happen where people get severely injured everywhere.

Yes, its a Philly thing.

:-o
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

ice grillin you

severely injured?

and its a fishtown thing

The Blue Jays will be playing in Oakland this weekend while the Phillies will be playing the Giants in San Francisco. The Hotel Nikko could be a hot spot, as both the Jays and the Phils will be staying there.

Imagine, Halladay could get traded to a new team in a different league and not even have to switch hotel rooms.

Also, while the Phillies' strong preference was to acquire Halladay, they were expected to send superscout Charley Kerfeld to watch 2008 American League Cy Young winner Lee pitch for Cleveland in Seattle yesterday. Lee worked seven innings, allowing six hits, two runs and no walks. He struck out four and lowered his ERA to 3.14 to get the win as Cleveland cruised, 12-3. Lee improved to 7-9.

Halladay is due $15.75 million next season, but Lee is owed just the remainder of his $5.75 million salary this year and a $9 million club option for next year - a very affordable contract for a top pitcher.

Baseball sources believe that a package of second-tier prospects like pitcher Carlos Carrasco and infielder Jason Donald might be sufficient to pry Lee from Cleveland.
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

SunMo

i heard that the indians aren't as hard up to trade lee though, so it would actually take just as much or even more to convince them to trade him
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

Sgt PSN

of course cleveland isn't hard up to trade him.  they have a cy young winner for less than 6mil. even small market cleveland can afford that. 

i barely heard of cliff lee before last season too.  i knew who he was but never thought of him as a top notch pitcher.  my concerns with him is that he's a "flash in the pan" type pitcher rather than a long term great like halliday.

btw....i'll be at the game in frisco thursday.  gotta take my kids back home so we're stopping in sf along the way.  might have to swing by the hotel nikko while we're there. 

SD_Eagle5

The notion of Cleveland trading Donald and Carrasco for Lee is absurd. That deal is done yesterday if that's the case. Lee as a backup plan is fine by me.

Sgt PSN

agreed that it's a good back up plan, but if the phils end up with lee it would still be extremely disappointing. 

if the phils land halliday, you start planning another parade.

if the phils end up with lee, well......it's better than nothing. 

ice grillin you

Quote from: Sgt PSN on July 27, 2009, 11:42:11 AM

id rather have halladay of course but youre really underrating cliff lee

SD_Eagle5

Really? I mean, the guy was 22-3 last season on a crappy team. His numbers this year aren't cy young worthy but he's starting to turn it on. If it means keeping Drabek/Brown/Taylor it might be worth it. Ricciardi is a stubborn icehole and at this point I don't think his demands are gonna lower.

ice grillin you

Sgt PSN

Quote from: ice grillin you on July 27, 2009, 11:52:00 AM
Quote from: Sgt PSN on July 27, 2009, 11:42:11 AM

id rather have halladay of course but youre really underrating cliff lee

it was meant to illustrate the level of disappointment over not getting halliday, more than what i actually think of lee.  

lee's a good pitcher but last year was an absolute freak year for him.  he had one other year (2005) that i would consider an excellent year and he went 18-5.  he'll probably never approach that type of success or dominance again.  

he'd be a good addition but it's a major, major drop off from halliday.

ice grillin you

Quote from: Sgt PSN on July 27, 2009, 12:05:59 PM
lee's a good pitcher but last year was an absolute freak year for him.  he had one other year (2005) that i would consider an excellent year

so he had two freak years?

Sgt PSN

no.  RIF dookie.  he had one freak year and one excellent year.  in 05 went 18-5, which is very good but pales in comparison to last year.  last year was borderline historic. 

SD_Eagle5

Quote from: ice grillin you on July 27, 2009, 11:59:39 AM
youre not getting lee without at least one of those top three

I was thinking Happ, Taylor or Brown, and another prospect like Carrasco or Donald. I'd sell on Happ while his value is still high.

Rome

ice grillin you

Quote from: SD_Eagle on July 27, 2009, 12:20:48 PM
Quote from: ice grillin you on July 27, 2009, 11:59:39 AM
youre not getting lee without at least one of those top three

I was thinking Happ, Taylor or Brown, and another prospect like Carrasco or Donald. I'd sell on Happ while his value is still high.

sounds about right to me

i also agree on happ...get em out while the gettins good