2009 Philadelphia Phillies - Season's Over, Time to Move On

Started by SunMo, April 02, 2009, 01:24:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rome

Madson has made two great plays and butchered another two.

It's like the return of David Bell today.

Don Ho

"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.

Don Ho

"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.

Don Ho

Rome

PhillyGirl

"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

Rome

I think he was referring to a specific play.  Either that or the latest shipment from Maui just came in.

Don Ho

Quote from: PhillyGirl on July 19, 2009, 04:23:58 PM
Quote from: Don Ho on July 19, 2009, 04:06:18 PM
lucky mofo's
They won 5-0 and they're lucky?  :-D

post was made after that ball bounced off the catcher's shin guard and rolled down the third base line like a perfect bunt.

Don Ho

Quote from: Rome on July 19, 2009, 04:25:30 PM
I think he was referring to a specific play.  Either that or the latest shipment from Maui just came in.

No ,that shipment went to Sea Biscuits house last week.

Don Ho

7 game lead.  I need a cold shower.  Always psyched/relieved to win in Miami. 

Rome

Quote from: Don Ho on July 19, 2009, 04:27:07 PM
Quote from: Rome on July 19, 2009, 04:25:30 PM

No ,that shipment went to Sea Biscuits house last week.

Cops come and try to snatch my crops

These pigs wanna blow my house down...

Seabiscuit36

I don't do drugs. Nice sweep, didn't see this coming.  Ill prob jack off in the streets if they land halladay
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

Rome

You'd have to think that getting Halladay would almost certainly make them a lock to win another Series.  The thing is, though, the Phillies have just the sort of sordid history of choking away golden opportunities that would turn that "lock" on its ear.  Hell, Philly in general has such bad sports juju that it might be the exact opposite of a lock for them to win if they got Halladay.

PhillyPhreak54

From the Phils MB:

QuoteHeyman just wrote that the Phillies and Blue Jays are to the point of discussing specific players. He said if we include Drabek we could end up with Halladay "real quick."

PhillyPhreak54

QuoteThe Phillies remain nearly everyone's favorite to land star Blue Jays pitcher Roy Halladay, and the teams are believed to have advanced to the point where they have discussed several of Philadelphia's top prospects -- including outfielder Michael Taylor, shortstop Jason Donald and pitcher Carlos Carrasco -- although, there's no evidence yet that the Phillies are relenting on top pitching prospect Kyle Drabek.

If Philly agrees to surrender Drabek, one competing executive said, "they might get (Halladay) real quick.''

But two more competing execs warned that they believe the Phillies would absolutely have to include Drabek -- a dynamic talent who impressed in the Futures Game -- to have any chance to land Halladay. If they're going to trade Halladay, "they've got to get the Phillies' best prospect,'' one American League exec insisted.

Beyond that, a package of Taylor (recently promoted to Triple-A in what looks like an obvious showcase), Donald and Carrasco is, according to another AL executive, woefully short. Plus, other baseball people seem to view outfielder Dominic Brown as Philly's second best prospect after Drabek. Phillies GM Ruben Amaro suggested 10 days ago that Drabek may be untouchable, though more recently he's tempered that remark slightly to say that he won't publicly disclose which prospects they might consider trading.

As a team with the publicly stated desire for a front-of-the-rotation starter, the wherewithal to acquire a star and a decent batch of prospects, the Phillies still appear to be the most logical landing spot, especially after Halladay himself talked about the National League in his remarks at the All-Star Game. Though some still question whether longtime club president David Montgomery will ultimately want to surrender their prime prospects plus spend the money, which amounts to about $23 million through 2010, especially with the club threatening to run away with the NL East, as is.

Jays G.M. J.P. Ricciardi, while suggesting no prospects have been absolutely ruled off limits by any interested teams so far, told SI.com in a phone interview, "I understand each team has certain restrictions. If a team doesn't want to move a player, I understand that. But it probably lessens the opportunity to (make a deal) with that team.''