Started by SunMo, April 02, 2009, 01:24:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ice grillin you

Quote from: phillymic2000 on July 15, 2009, 09:02:58 AM
Quote from: SunMo on July 15, 2009, 07:52:09 AM
Quote from: phillymic2000 on July 14, 2009, 07:16:41 PM
Quote from: PhillyGirl on July 14, 2009, 05:48:44 PM
Pedro passed his physical.

Booooo fargin Booooo. Step the farg up for the ace starting for the AL tonight aqnd make a multi year run at this shtein..

yeah, the definitely can't do both.  done with pedro, definitely.

I understand Haladay is a pipe dream, and is it right that Pedro is only costing us 1mil. plus incentives? I thought they said 4mil.

halladay is absolutely not a pipe dream...most 'experts' say they lead for him and are at worst in the top 2 or 3
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

PhillyGirl

I agree with IGY (that's twice in 2 days wtf?)...Halladay is NOT a pipe dream.
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

ice grillin you

you agree with what i read...i dont know jack shtein...just what the 'experts' are saying...but if theres this much smoke i gotta believe theres fire

either way is there a better feeling right now than with any philly team in the last 30 years...a reigning champ who is in first place at the mid point of the following season and in the mix for the best pitcher in the league...its like no matter what youre on top of the world...your options are super happy (if they dont get holladay) and estatic (if they do)

SD_Eagle5

Quote from: ice grillin you on July 15, 2009, 08:58:23 AM
seth everett was on the monring show and said he heard at the all star game that the phils would have to give happ - taylor AND drabek to get halladay

also torontos GM was in lakewood yesterday to see knapp pitch....knapp lasted a whole 2/3's of an inning...the worst start of his pro career

Pretty sure Drabek is an untouchable. Taylor I'd hate to see go but if they're only giving up Happ, Taylor, another prospect than I'd do it in a heartbeat.

ice grillin you

i would say theres almost no chance toronto does this without drabek

i wouldnt give up happ drabek and taylor tho thats to much...take out any one of those from that mix and im IN

i dont know why they would say drabek is untouchable...carrasco and marson were untouchable last year and look at them now...reggie taylor was untouchable once....so was gavin floyd

BigEd76

So was Hamels.  There's no guarantee that any pitching prospect will ever succeed in the majors, but Drabek got the major surgery out of the way already and has rebounded well, he's likely motivated to get out from his dad's shadow, and he's drawn comparisons to Ben Sheets or Roy Oswalt.  They have to find a way to get it done without him.  Taylor.....great story and it'd be nice to have another righty power guy, but his path is blocked by Ibanez and Werth unless you trade Victorino and move Werth to center (meh).

Pedro PC in an hour, btw

ice grillin you

Quote from: BigEd76 on July 15, 2009, 11:04:08 AM
So was Hamels.  There's no guarantee that any pitching prospect will ever succeed in the majors, but Drabek got the major surgery out of the way already and has rebounded well, he's likely motivated to get out from his dad's shadow, and he's drawn comparisons to Ben Sheets or Roy Oswalt.  They have to find a way to get it done without him.  Taylor.....great story and it'd be nice to have another righty power guy, but his path is blocked by Ibanez and Werth unless you trade Victorino and move Werth to center (meh).

even if drabek is as good hamels and thats a huge IF who cares if he is...in the big picture what has hamels ever really done...you wouldnt have traded a world series or two six years ago for cole hamels?

in fact the one thing hamels has done is had an incredible playoff that helped win a world series for the phils...which is what halladay would hopefully do this year and next for the phillies

or are you saying youd rather bank on drabek in 2013 being a playoff mvp and winning a world series for the phillies than banking on hamels and halladay going for a world series right now for the phillies

who knows when and if drabek he ever becomes a good major leaguer much less a roy halladay

ill take being the favorite for the WS over ANY prospect.....even a strasberg or weiters

BigEd76

Depends on who they would've gotten back then.  Zito?  No f'ing way.  Santana....maybe.  Beckett wasn't going to be traded within the division and the Phils couldn't come close to matching the Hanley/Anibal offer from Boston anyway.  I want Halladay/Hamels/Drabek for the next 5 years.  If the Mets and Yankees can get deals done without giving up their prospects (as overrated as they are), why can't we?  If Halladay tells JP he'll only accept a trade to the Phils and they'll be stuck paying his salary otherwise, it lowers the demands.  When Boston and the Yankees dropped out of the Santana discussions, it killed the Twins' chances of getting anything decent in return....

ice grillin you

Quote from: BigEd76 on July 15, 2009, 11:57:26 AM
Depends on who they would've gotten back then.  

if they would have gotten back any player or players that made them the prohibited favorite to win the world series

BigEd76

Unless Cole and Lidge figure their ish out, I don't think adding Halladay makes them the favorites...

ice grillin you

these days anyone who makes the playoffs has a shot...especially a team thats already been there and won....and unless they completely collapse they should do that

right this second they are in the mix of world series challengers but i dont think they win it...however with halladay they become the definite favorites

as bad as hamels has been him as a number two guy in a playoff series would be so ill

BigEd76

supposedly his press conference was pretty good

Seabiscuit36

it really was, i was baggin up.  Worst case scenerio, they spent 1 million on a guy to better the team.  Good signing. 
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

ice grillin you