2009 Philadelphia Phillies - Season's Over, Time to Move On

Started by SunMo, April 02, 2009, 01:24:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phillymic2000

Quote from: PhillyGirl on July 14, 2009, 05:48:44 PM
Pedro passed his physical.

Booooo fargin Booooo. Step the farg up for the ace starting for the AL tonight aqnd make a multi year run at this shtein..

reese125

the best part about this signing is the media coverage when the Mets/Phils go at it--thats about it.

other than that...I hope his blazing 86mph fastball can hold up for 7 innings

PhillyPhreak54

mpmcgraw

He was sitting between 88-91 and topping out at 93 the first outing then was around 88 for the second workout on two days rest.

Dude is hilarious and I'm really baffled why anyone doesn't like him other than chris wheeler syndrome.

MDS

i have 0 expectations but on the comedy scale it should be legendary
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

PhillyPhreak54

QB Eagles

I don't know how someone could get really worked up (positive or negative) about the Phils giving Martinez a shot. Expectations are low but so is the price, and if it turns out that he blows, the rest of the #4/#5-quality crowd is still on the roster to jump back in there.

It drums up curiosity having a potential first-ballot HOFer joining the team. If, worst case, he loses some ugly games and tires the bullpen... well, there's no guarantee that wouldn't have happened in the absence of Pedro with the current crop of starters. You drop his ass out of the rotation and move on. Big deal.

On the other hand, the media and Phillies will be hyping this signing due to the star power, but the odds of Pedro rejuvenating the team's rotation are close to nil. I'd be shocked if this signing appreciably changes the Phils' fortunes in either direction. With such a limited potential downside, why not give it a try?

Halladay would be amazing but the odds of him becoming a Phillie might even be lower than the odds of 1999 Pedro coming back.

PhillyPhreak54

I'm starting to thaw a bit on this.

But has anyone told him to stop rockin' that juicy Soul-Glo fro?

It'll be fun if he has something left and can stick it to the Mets a few times.

QB Eagles

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on July 15, 2009, 12:34:09 AM
It'll be fun if he has something left and can stick it to the Mets a few times.

Over the past couple of seasons the Phillies have been bizarrely effective at signing these older players who either seem done or close-to-done, and having them become meaningful contributors. In this case I suspect that Pedro truly IS done, but a couple hilarious rapes of the Mets is all I need to see to declare this move a resounding success.

SunMo

Quote from: phillymic2000 on July 14, 2009, 07:16:41 PM

Booooo fargin Booooo. Step the farg up for the ace starting for the AL tonight aqnd make a multi year run at this shtein..

yeah, the definitely can't do both.  done with pedro, definitely.
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

Geowhizzer

With the way the rotation has been. at one million plus incentives, why the hell not?

ice grillin you

seth everett was on the monring show and said he heard at the all star game that the phils would have to give happ - taylor AND drabek to get halladay

also torontos GM was in lakewood yesterday to see knapp pitch....knapp lasted a whole 2/3's of an inning...the worst start of his pro career
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

phillymic2000

Quote from: SunMo on July 15, 2009, 07:52:09 AM
Quote from: phillymic2000 on July 14, 2009, 07:16:41 PM

yeah, the definitely can't do both.  done with pedro, definitely.

I understand Haladay is a pipe dream, and is it right that Pedro is only costing us 1mil. plus incentives? I thought they said 4mil.

PhillyGirl

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4328568

Signed and put right onto the 15 day DL with a mild shoulder strain?

AP reported 1 year $1 mil.

QuoteMartinez can earn up to $1.5 million in incentives. The eight-time All-Star will need to make at least a few starts in the minors before he's ready to join Philadelphia's depleted rotation.
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

SunMo

the "shoulder strain" is just so they can put him on the DL and let him make rehab starts in the minors
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.