2009 Philadelphia Phillies - Season's Over, Time to Move On

Started by SunMo, April 02, 2009, 01:24:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhillyGirl

Quote from: ice grillin you on July 14, 2009, 06:22:07 AM
Quote from: SD_Eagle on July 13, 2009, 08:40:35 PM
Personally I'd rather have Drabek and Taylor over those two even though they're starters.

god no...most prospects dont ever make it no matter how highly rated...the point of getting halladay is to win the world series this year and next...why would you weaken the current roster in an area if youre trying to win now...even if drabek and taylor are the real deal they arent all star level players for at least another three seasons

agreed.
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

ice grillin you

Quote from: PhillyGirl on July 14, 2009, 08:20:58 AM
Personally I'd rather have Drabek and Taylor over those two even though they're starters.

god no...most prospects dont ever make it no matter how highly rated...the point of getting halladay is to win the world series this year and next...why would you weaken the current roster in an area if youre trying to win now...even if drabek and taylor are the real deal they arent all star level players for at least another three seasons

Please God don't let them trade Werth
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

SD_Eagle5

Happ is basically Kendrick with a little more talent. He'll be a career 4th/5th starter and is expendable...especially since they're bringing a 5th starter into the mix (Martinez). I'd sell while his value is high, not wait until he's exposed like Kendrick. Werth is expendable, he's had a bit of a nice hot streak but again he's replaceable. You have to give to get, and Halladay is the best pitcher in the game.
On the flipside, I don't give up Drabek because he projects as a #1/#2 starter. And Taylor is going to be unbelievable, their ceilings are ridiculously high whereas the other two are nice players whose value is higher than it should be right now.

For years I waited for the Phils to either have a legit WS caliber team, or to build their farm system enough so the future looked bright. They have both of those things right now. As it stands now they're built to be contenders for the next 10 years, I'd hate to throw that all away on one player.

PhillyGirl

Quote from: ice grillin you on July 14, 2009, 08:28:50 AM
Quote from: PhillyGirl on July 14, 2009, 08:20:58 AM

Please God don't let them trade Werth
Actually, I'm more with the please God don't let them trade Happ.

I don't want Pedro taking Happ's place.
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

ice grillin you

Quote from: SD_Eagle on July 14, 2009, 08:33:37 AM
Happ is basically Kendrick with a little more talent. He'll be a career 4th/5th starter and is expendable...especially since they're bringing a 5th starter into the mix (Martinez). I'd sell while his value is high, not wait until he's exposed like Kendrick. Werth is expendable, he's had a bit of a nice hot streak but again he's replaceable. You have to give to get, and Halladay is the best pitcher in the game.
On the flipside, I don't give up Drabek because he projects as a #1/#2 starter. And Taylor is going to be unbelievable, their ceilings are ridiculously high whereas the other two are nice players whose value is higher than it should be right now.

For years I waited for the Phils to either have a legit WS caliber team, or to build their farm system enough so the future looked bright. They have both of those things right now. As it stands now they're built to be contenders for the next 10 years, I'd hate to throw that all away on one player.

kendrick is eaton...happ isnt a #1 or probably even 2 but hes way better than kendrick or pedro

drabek and taylor are both very good prospects...but its not like they are a strasberg or anything...they arent even rated in the top ten...i know people always overrate their own but youre acting like taylor and drabek are the top two prospects in all of baseball...matt laporta was way higher rated than either of them

i dont know how you can make a strong argument for the phillies being good for the next ten years....rollins howard utley are all basically 30 and will all be old at the same time and off the team...and while the phillies farm system is better than it usually is its still around the middle of the pack in baseball...theres an equal chance that in a few years when the utley rollins howard trio ages or moves on that the phillies willl stink...but the bottom line is we have no idea whats going to happen then or with any of the prospects...where as we know that with halladay added to this current team without weakening it in any way we are looking at a good shot to win a couple world series

i can understand not wanting halladay at all before saying youd rather trade two important starters on the current team over prospects for him....id much rather trade their top three prospects for him as i want to win right now with this nucleus all in their prime and even with getting halladay your team is not nearly as strong subtracting happ and werth...you really want pedro/kendrick and mayberry moving into starting positions?

SD_Eagle5

Before Utley/Howard/Hamels came up I remember thinking they should trade them for ready now players so they could finally make the playoffs. They didn't, and for good reason. Those guys were rated around the same area as Taylor/Drabek/Brown/Knapp are. I'd love Halladay, I'd be willing to part with Donald, Marson, Carrasco, Savery, Happ, basticho, Carpenter and someone else. Those are good prospects that could one day be good to great major league players. But your blue chipper core guys, I think you have to keep them.

As far as the nucleus of this club, I guess I'd feel better if they were all signed to long term deals. But do you see them keeping Howard, Werth, Madson, Hamels etc. when their deals are up in a few years? Not to mention Ibanez will be close to 40, Moyer probably in a retirement home, who knows with Lidge etc. They need to develop young players now so they can replenish the team in a few years. I know they have a ton of revenue and things are looking chipper right now, but the Phils will never be the Yankees/Mets/Sox type of club that brings in big f/a's every year. They've never been that way and I dont' see them starting now. So our best bet for a competitive team for the next 10 years is to keep the core intact.

Pedro's going to start whether 'we' like it or not. If the Jays are adamant about getting Werth in a trade for Halladay you don't do it? I think Werth is the most expendable starter on the team.

PhillyPhreak54

They're not going to get Halladay.

But if they did have the chance, a legit shot, you go get him.

Perhaps Ruben should get creative and try to get some other GM and work a 3-way deal to help lessen the amount of top tier guys given up.

ice grillin you

Quote from: SD_Eagle on July 14, 2009, 09:24:00 AM
Before Utley/Howard/Hamels came up I remember thinking they should trade them for ready now players so they could finally make the playoffs. They didn't, and for good reason.

apples and oranges...the phillies stunk then...if they were a .500 team right now then i build thru the farm and dont even worry about halladay

Quote from: SD_Eagle on July 14, 2009, 09:24:00 AM
If the Jays are adamant about getting Werth in a trade for Halladay you don't do it?

yeah i do it...but i do taylor way before i take a werth off my current team

SD_Eagle5

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on July 14, 2009, 09:27:31 AM
They're not going to get Halladay.

What it basically comes down too. And the Jays aren't trading him to the Yankees or Sox, so I doubt he even gets traded. I wouldn't mind Haren but again they'll want a lot in return. I wish these teams were a little more desperate to shed payroll.

BigEd76

Quote from: SD_Eagle on July 14, 2009, 09:24:00 AMBefore Utley/Howard/Hamels came up I remember thinking they should trade them for ready now players so they could finally make the playoffs.

5 years ago there were people that wanted to trade Utley and Gavin Floyd to Oakland for Zito.  And can you imagine if Pittsburgh did that Howard-for-Kip Wells deal?  There wouldn't have been a WFC for the next 10 years...

MDS

halladay as a fntc and hes not coming here unless the phillies throw him his 100 mil that he can get in 2 years on the open market from the yanks or sox.

the phillies of course will never do this, even though they are already printing money over there and getting halladay would more or less guarantee 2-3 years of nl east crowns and world series trips. which means even more money.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

paco

I'm not from Philly but some say I'm blunt.

paco

I'm not from Philly but some say I'm blunt.

mpmcgraw

Quote from: MDS on July 14, 2009, 12:33:25 PM
halladay as a fntc and hes not coming here unless the phillies throw him his 100 mil that he can get in 2 years on the open market from the yanks or sox.

the phillies of course will never do this, even though they are already printing money over there and getting halladay would more or less guarantee 2-3 years of nl east crowns and world series trips. which means even more money.
This is exactly the opposite of what is actually happening. Stop bumping coke in between paper routes.

Seabiscuit36

"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons