2009 Philadelphia Phillies - Season's Over, Time to Move On

Started by SunMo, April 02, 2009, 01:24:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rome

Getting rid of Lidge might be the stupidest idea I've ever read here.  And considering reese, munson and king cole post here on the daily, that's saying something.

LBIggle

ok, and how confident are you with lidge coming in this game.. if it gets that far?

dude hasn't looked right all year.  get something for him like the starter you need so bad now before his trade stock drops too far.  his knee problem isn't going anywhere.  if you put him on the DL madsons closing anyways. 

Geowhizzer

Quote from: LBIggle on May 24, 2009, 03:41:15 PM
ok, and how confident are you with lidge coming in this game.. if it gets that far?

dude hasn't looked right all year.  get something for him like the starter you need so bad now before his trade stock drops too far.  his knee problem isn't going anywhere.  if you put him on the DL madsons closing anyways. 

And right now they wouldn't get much for him.  Teams know his knee is bad and that he hasn't been effective.  They would try to fleece the Phils.  Are you looking for a #3?  That isn't what the team needs - they have enough of those.  They need at least a #2, and that isn't coming back for Lidge.

Someone (maybe here, maybe PSF boards, I can't remember) said that maybe he'll get DL stint when Romero comes back.  I'd rather they bite the bullet now and get him right for the stretch, but that sounds about right.

LBIggle

you wouldn't be able to get a top of the rotation starter with just lidge anyway.  you'll need to package him with somebody else.  anyways here he comes now.. buckle up.

PhillyGirl

"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

LBIggle

lol....

this guy needs to go away.  dfa, dl, trade who cares.

maybe he can do what he didn't do yesterday and at least keep it tied.

PhillyGirl

Go away? No. He needs to get healthy.

They need to sit him down and figure out just wtf is wrong with him.

When Romero gets back, Madson at closer, JC as set up man.

Period.
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

LBIggle

right, in other words get off the field.  he doesn't belong out there.

Geowhizzer

Sgt PSN

at least the phils get another chance now.  but the top of the yanks lineup is coming up in bottom 10

PhillyGirl

Quote from: LBIggle on May 24, 2009, 04:18:18 PM

Your attitude to a guy who won us a World Series, is awful. He can't have a slump?

Sgt PSN

lidge doesn't need to be traded but he's obviously not right.  he probably needs to go on the dl immediately.  

Geowhizzer

I agree to a point.   Right now, he isn't effective and is hurting the team.  The Phils need to give him the time to heal.  Last year, they did the knee procedure at the beginning of the year and brought him in a little into the season.  This year, for some reason, they thought it wasn't as bad and tried to get him through the season without a procedure.  It seems obvious to me that was a mistake, and it's showing in his pitches.  He can't get consistent footing, which is making his location inconsistent (and getting his pitches up), and we're seeing the unfortunate results.

I say forget waiting for Romero.  Lidge is trying to gut it out, but it's obvious that he's incapable of pitching in his current situation.  Heck, Trash-ner is even more effective at this point.  Get him the time he needs - get the scope and give him the 4-6 weeks he needs to get his legs back under him.  The sooner, the better.

PhillyGirl

I agree with you Geo. They need a healthy Lidge for the late season/playoffs. Get him better now.

Sgt PSN

Quote from: PhillyGirl on May 24, 2009, 04:22:57 PM

Your attitude to a guy who won us a World Series, is awful. He can't have a slump?

i don't think lbi is anti-lidge as much as he's pro-addressing other needs.  his points are valid in the sense that madsen could close and romero could be the setup man, so moving lidge to add a quality starter would make sense.  but there's a couple holes in that plan:

1.  what exactly is lidge+prospect(s) going to get you in return that will undoubtedly improve the starting rotation?  

2.  the phils will still need another arm in the pen.  

3.  romero would be a great set up man if he's the same pitcher he was last year.  he got 50 games for taking a banned substance so there's no way to know if he's going to be the same pitcher he was last year until he steps out on the field.  if he was on ped's, then maybe he's not quite the same without them.  and if that turns out to be the case, then it doesn't matter who the closer is if romero can't hold a lead in the 8th.