2009 Philadelphia Phillies - Season's Over, Time to Move On

Started by SunMo, April 02, 2009, 01:24:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PoopyfaceMcGee

Well, at least he got the call.  That shouldn't have been a catch.

Sgt PSN

did they give him credit for the catch?  looks like he held onto the ball long enough.  freddie answered that for me. 

i didn't see it until this morning but man, that looks vicious.  aaron rowand, eat your heart out.  

the ankiel story is pretty awesome too.  pitchers are often overlooked when it comes to natural athletic ability and for this guy to go through the crap he did back when he was a reliever and then come back a few years later, not only as an everyday centerfielder, but a damn good one at that is pretty freaking amazing.  hopefully he's able to get back out on the field sooner rather than later.  

Sgt PSN

Quote from: FastFreddie on May 05, 2009, 10:28:40 AM

that absolutely should have been the call.  once you secure the ball in your glove, it's an out even if you drop it during the transfer from glove to hand, which he clearly did.  the ball was in his throwing hand when he hit the wall and didn't come out until he hit the ground. 

the only time a player is required to "maintain possession" is when tagging out another player. 

Seabiscuit36

"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

Geowhizzer

I thought he had it plenty long enough to be called a catch.  He had it in his glove, had switched to the throwing hand before hitting the wall, then dropped it.  "Transition" doesn't really apply since there were no base runners, but he had definitely switched hands.

ice grillin you

even with out the switiching of the ball to his hand its still a catch...for it to not be catch because of the wall you have to hit it immediately or simeultaneously
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Sgt PSN

Quote from: Geowhizzer on May 05, 2009, 04:38:09 PM

I thought he had it plenty long enough to be called a catch.  He had it in his glove, had switched to the throwing hand before hitting the wall, then dropped it.  "Transition" doesn't really apply since there were no base runners, but he had definitely switched hands.

^^a more clear explanation of the rule^^

QB Eagles

MDS

Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Don Ho

"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.

ice grillin you

victorino continues to be the dumbest player on the planet but as long as he gets four hits a game i guess its ok

the okie doke pick off play was pathetic and his throw home laughable

Don Ho

Quote from: ice grillin you on May 06, 2009, 06:29:19 AM
victorino continues to be the dumbest player on the planet but as long as he gets four hits a game i guess its ok

Only saw the first two innings and had to leave.  What did he do now?  I did see the highlights where he flung his bat after striking out when trying to go for the cycle.
"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.

ice grillin you

he fell for the little league trick where you fake a pickoff attempt to third hoping the guy on first will come off the bag to far and wheel to get him out

then on a throw home with no chance to get the runner he completely threw it over the cut off man head allowing the batter to get to second base

Geowhizzer

Quote from: Don Ho on May 06, 2009, 02:49:28 PM
Quote from: ice grillin you on May 06, 2009, 06:29:19 AM

Only saw the first two innings and had to leave.  What did he do now?  I did see the highlights where he flung his bat after striking out when trying to go for the cycle.

1.  Fell for the fake-to-third-throw-to-first pickoff move.
2.  Airmailed a throw home when the runner didn't go.  The throw allowed the hitter to advance to second.

Don Ho