2009 Philadelphia Phillies - Season's Over, Time to Move On

Started by SunMo, April 02, 2009, 01:24:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geowhizzer

Last year, I had the privilege of hearing Harry a few times on EI - for the first time (before, it was alway the other team's crew) regularly since moving down to Florida back in 1993.  During the intevening years, I would try to catch a game any time I was in the area, but it was few and far between.  Harry WAS Phillies baseball.

I am 38 years old, and Harry has always been the lead announcer for the Phils since I first became a baseball fan in the late 1970s.

I can remember listening to Harry and Whitey on my grandpa's old chestnut-colored dial radio in his garage.  It only got AM, and the station always had a lot of snow, but I was able to get the game.  With Harry, you didn't need the picture on a television.  His words painted a sharper picture than any modern HD televison can manage.

He's been there through everything baseball-wise - the wins and losses, highs and lows.  From Steve Carlton and Mike Schmdit through Joe Cowley and Juan Bell through Cole Hamels and Ryan Howard.

I feel like I lost a member of my family. 

RIP Harry.

PhillyPhreak54

In 1991 I was living in Kansas and I was grounded for a weekend. I was bored and trying to find something to waste away the time. So I'm in my room cataloging my baseball cards and listening to a Royals game. Obviously this was the days before nightly saturation of the game. ESPN Sunday night, the Braves and the Cubs were the only time I got to see the Phils.

So in one of my card boxes was a Phils program and I read it and at the end was the broadcast section and all the 1210 affiliates. I said what the farg and started playing with the radio.

I put it to 1210 and lo and behold I could hear a baseball game. Very faint, loaded with static but a game. I left it there and after about 20 minutes the static finally gave way enough to hear the calls. It was Harry! In Kansas!

I ran to the kitchen to get some tin-foil and I loaded the antenna up with it, opened my window and sat the radio on the ledge...and I was able to listen to the final 4 innings of the game.

I'll never forget that. It made me feel close to home and made me forget about being grounded.

rjs246

So, you guys are all pretty gay for radio announcers huh? Weirdos.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

Rome

PhillyGirl

"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

ice grillin you

Quote from: rjs246 on April 14, 2009, 01:43:49 PM

old white guys die its romantic and people cry at newspaper articles...young black kids die and its laugh it up good riddance thugs
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

rjs246

So I'm breaking the mold by laughing it up and saying good riddance to both groups?
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

ice grillin you

Geowhizzer

Quote from: ice grillin you on April 14, 2009, 07:01:05 PM
Quote from: rjs246 on April 14, 2009, 01:43:49 PM

old white guys die its romantic and people cry at newspaper articles...young black kids die and its laugh it up good riddance thugs

What the heck are you talking about this time?

If Ryan Howard dies, I'm sure people will have a similar reaction.  Maybe not quite as strong because Howard's been here 5 years as opposed to Harry's 38, but very similar.

SD_Eagle5

Black then white are all I see in my infancy.
red and yellow then came to be, reaching out to me.
lets me see.
As below, so above and beyond, I imagine
drawn beyond the lines of reason.
Push the envelope. Watch it bend.

BigEd76

ice grillin you

Rome

Quote from: SD_Eagle on April 14, 2009, 07:57:12 PM
Black then white are all I see in my infancy.
red and yellow then came to be, reaching out to me.
lets me see.
As below, so above and beyond, I imagine
drawn beyond the lines of reason.
Push the envelope. Watch it bend.

Tool.

Seabiscuit36

Quote from: BigEd76 on April 14, 2009, 07:59:51 PM

Easy.. What store is that from?  I cant find it thru the million farging stores, and the zesty site
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons