2009 Philadelphia Phillies - Season's Over, Time to Move On

Started by SunMo, April 02, 2009, 01:24:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ice grillin you

i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

BigEd76

Quote from: Geowhizzer on April 12, 2009, 04:24:07 PMHarry is lead announcer until he drops dead.  Which may be soon.

oops

so igs, were you at the game when you found out?

QB Eagles

ice grillin you

easy we were at a bar trying to get our livers more dead than harry and my mans friend sent a text that read like this "sorry to hear about your boy"...i said to him what does that mean...i said exactly this: i bet gagne is out for the playoffs with a concussion again...then the texts started firing off non stop...and we saw it on espn...then sun called us...then we got more drunk
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

MDS

Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Geowhizzer

DH

Steve and I met Harry a few years back in NY after an Eagles Giants game...such a nice man. Mets fan or not, I'm heartbroken. I was just saying yesterday that the only good thing about me living in Philly during baseball season was that I would get to listen to Harry for a full season.  :'(

BigEd76

lots of videos, stories and pics on 6ABC and NBC10, including Moyer recalling the last time he saw Harry this morning......said he came into the locker room, looked around, didn't say anything, and walked out.  There's even a second where Eskin had some tears...

Don Ho

Thank you for all the links guys.  I am glad I'm not the only one who felt like crap today.  I was watching Sportscenter with my wife and son tonight and almost lost it.  When they play his call from game 5 last year and show Lidge go to his knees, wow.  One of the greatest moments of my life.  My son still goes around the house now and than and will yell out "swing and a miss, struck him out!".   Thank you Harry!

From the Honolulu Star-Bulletin tonight:

Aloha, Harry Kalas

Harry Kalas died today.

You've heard his voice.

If you're a youngster, you know it from NFL Films and the Chunky Soup commercials.

If you're from Philadelphia, you know it because he was the longtime voice of the 2008 World Champs.

If you work at the Star-Bulletin, you've heard Jerry Campany's impersonation of Kalas' staccato baritone "Outta .. Here ... Home Run ... " anytime one of his fantasy players knocked one out of the park.

But if you're a Hawaii sports fan in your late 50s or older, you and Harry Kalas go way back, to the early 1960s when Kalas was the Islanders' first play-by-pay guy. Before Al Michaels, before Hank Greenwald, before Les Keiter even. His success also helped pave the way for guys of the next generation, like Larry Biel and Neal Everett. Hawaii became a cradle for sportscasting greatness, with Kalas among the pioneers.

Kalas also did high school and UH games while here, and always got the local names right.

I'm a little too young to remember Kalas (I was born the same year as the Islanders, 1961), but everyone I know who knew him said he was a great guy ... and they said it before he died, and no one talked stink about him, as often happens in the sports media business that is often cursed with over-inflated egos and petty professional jealousy.

His death today (on the job, by the way) is clearly a huge loss to baseball and football. And he will be missed by many sports fans in Hawaii.

–By Dave Reardon

"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.

PhillyGirl

Conlin's article:

http://www.philly.com/philly/hp/sports/42947122.html

QuoteI am certain that Rich Ashburn was lining up a putt on the 18th green of some perfect golf course, muttering over the cruel injustices of the only game to ever beat him when his best friend materialized, still wearing the windbreaker the broadcast crew was issued for raw, windy days.

"Hard to believe, Harry . . . "

"Believe, Whitey, believe . . . Hard to believe you were gone almost 12 years. And I missed you terribly, pal, every day of those years . . .

"Well, now we're back together. Think you've got nine holes in you?"
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

PhillyPhreak54

Great stuff by Stark. I heard him on Mike & Mike today and he's absolutely right about not believing something happened until you heard Harry call it.

Being out of town a lot over the years, I would always wonder how Harry called certain plays while listening to some average broadcaster of an opposing team or on a national telecast.

When I moved back in '03, I loved the fact I would be able to hear him every night.

PhillyGirl

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on April 14, 2009, 12:44:55 PM
Great stuff by Stark. I heard him on Mike & Mike today and he's absolutely right about not believing something happened until you heard Harry call it.

Being out of town a lot over the years, I would always wonder how Harry called certain plays while listening to some average broadcaster of an opposing team or on a national telecast.

When I moved back in '03, I loved the fact I would be able to hear him every night.

I can relate to this. Living out of the area from 1990-2000, I always wondered the same thing and I hated that I never got to hear him during that time, except if I was home for visiting or summers in college.
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen