2009 Philadelphia Phillies - Season's Over, Time to Move On

Started by SunMo, April 02, 2009, 01:24:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigEd76

QB Eagles

If the only broadcasting Harry had ever done had been his work with NFL Films, he would have been one of the great voices of sports. And that was just a side project.

I can't imagine Phillies baseball without that voice. I don't want to.

Seabiscuit36

Frantzke and LA have been a mess today, but understandably, they are sitting where he just died

Lidge just gave up a HR and a huge hit to Guzman... come on Lidge
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

PhillyGirl

Quote from: Seabiscuit36 on April 13, 2009, 06:03:27 PM
Frantzke and LA have been a mess today, but understandably, they are sitting where he just died

Lidge just gave up a HR and a huge hit to Guzman... come on Lidge

hearing LA talk about how he was sitting right there while they gave HK CPR...ugh.
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

Rome

Lidge blew through the next three batters like nothing.

Game over.

:yay

BigEd76

PhillyGirl

Quote from: BigEd76 on April 13, 2009, 06:18:21 PM
Barkann attempting to do the postgame and he's cracking

Im in tears after just seeing LA's interview.
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

Rome

I refuse to listen to any more of that.  I was on the verge of crying like a bitch all day long, especially during the pregame.

Seabiscuit36

"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

Munson

Barkann about to lose it got to me, then the LA interview put it over the top. I'm a bitch.
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

Geowhizzer

The Rays did a nice tribute during their opening ceremonies.  Harry's son, Todd, is an announcer for the Rays telecasts.

SD_Eagle5

Link

QuoteHarry Kalas' Top 10 Calls

Email  Print  Comment()  Sharing RSS
Monday, April 13, 2009

By Rob Maaddi
The Associated Press

Hall of Fame broadcaster Harry Kalas will always be remembered by Phillies fans for his signature "Outta here!" home-run calls, singing "High Hopes" during post-game celebrations and his long, smooth delivery behind the microphone.

Here's a Top 10, in no particular order, of some of the most memorable calls Kalas made during his 39 seasons in Philadelphia:

1. Oct. 29, 2008: Brad Lidge strikes out Tampa Bay's Eric Hinske for the final out of the World Series.

"One strike away, nothing-and-two the count to Hinske. Fans on their feet, rally towels are being waved.... Brad Lidge stretches ... the 0-2 pitch ... swing and a miss! Struck him out! ... The Philadelphia Phillies are 2008 World Champions of baseball!

"Brad Lidge does it again and stays perfect for the 2008 season, 48-for-48 in save opportunities and let the city celebrate!

2. April 18, 1987: Mike Schmidt hits his 500th home run off Pittsburgh's Don Robinson.

"Swing and a long drive... there it is... No. 500, the career 500th home run for Michael Jack Schmidt and the Phillies have regained the lead at Pittsburgh 8 to 6."

3. Oct. 13, 1993: Mitch Williams strikes out Atlanta's Bill Pecota for the final out of the NLCS.

"Swing and a miss! Struck him out! The Phillies are the '93 National League Champions! Mitch Williams, a 1-2-3 save and this place is bedlam at Veterans Stadium."

4. Oct. 12, 1980: Dick Ruthven retires Houston's Enos Cabell on line drive for the final out of the NLCS.

"The 3-2 pitch ... Swing and a drive to right-center field.... Maddox is there. Garry Maddox catches the final out of the game.... The Phillies have won it in 10 and they're being mobbed. The Phillies are in the World Series."

5. Aug. 9, 2006: Chase Utley scores from second base on a routine bouncer back to the first-base side of the pitcher's mound against Atlanta during a 9-3 victory.

"A high-chop to the mound.... Chase Utley keeps on running. Chase Utley, you are the man!"

6. Sept. 30, 2007: Brett Myers strikes out Washington's Wily Mo Pena to clinch the NL East title.

"Curve ball, struck him out. The Phillies are National League East champions. Look at the scene on the field. Look at the scene in the stands. This is incredible. The Phillies are National Leagues East champions and going to the postseason for the first time since 1993. Wow!"

7. Sept. 27, 2008: Brad Lidge retires Washington's Ryan Zimmerman on a double-play grounder to clinch NL East title and improve to 41-for-41 in save situations.

"The pitch to Zimmerman... ground ball up the middle... J-roll dives... to Utley one.. relay... double play. The Phillies are the National League Eastern Division champions on a spectacular double play by J-roll to Utley to Howard. What a play by J-roll!"

8. July 2, 1993: Phillies closer Mitch Williams delivers a game-winning RBI single at 4:42 AM EST against San Diego in the second game of a rain-delayed doubleheader.

"Line drive... left-center field... Incaviglia scores and the Phillies win it on a base hit by Mitchie-poo!"

9. July 10, 1993: Mickey Morandini hits a grand slam off San Francisco's Dave Righetti in the eighth inning of an 8-3 win.

"Righetti stretches.... 1-2 pitch... swing and a well-hit ball to deep right.... this ball is a grand slam, a grand slam home run Mickey Morandini and the Phillies have broken this game wide open."

10. April 12, 2008: Kalas' last call the day before his death. Brad Lidge retires Colorado's Troy Tulowitzki for final out of a 7-5 victory.

"One ball, two strikes.... Bouncing ball to Chase Utley... should be the game.... Chase throws him out and that will be it as the Phils win two out of three here at Coors Field."

Miiiickey Mooraaandiini

PhillyPhreak54

Thanks for posting the CSN tribute...if anyone else has video or audio of stuff please post it.

The tribute got to me. I've been sad all day. I DVR'd the rest of the game and came home to watch it. I simply can't believe that Harry is gone.  :'(

BigEd76