2008 Point & Laugh at the skins thread

Started by PoopyfaceMcGee, January 08, 2008, 09:54:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Munson

Quote from: ice grillin you on January 09, 2008, 02:39:35 PM
he led the league in interceptions at the time of his death and was having a HOF type year...i dont see anything wrong with saying he was the third or fourth best safety in the nfl this past year...he certainly would have ended up one of the best had he not been died...

plus its not like theres lots of good safetys running around the nfl...hell dawkins made FIRST team last year and he only showed up for about a quarter of the season

Wow.
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

Father Demon

he led the league in interceptions at the time of his death and was having a HOF type year...i dont see anything wrong with saying he was the third or fourth best safety in the nfl this past year...he certainly would have ended up one of the best had he not been died...

plus its not like theres lots of good safetys running around the nfl...hell dawkins made FIRST team last year and he only showed up for about a quarter of the season

Well, he certainly intercepted that bullet.
The drawback to marital longevity is your wife always knows when you're really interested in her and when you're just trying to bury it.

Rome

Quote from: Father Demon on January 09, 2008, 07:42:05 PM
Well, he certainly intercepted that bullet.

You could say he dropped the ball in the end, though.

QB Eagles

There is exactly one safety in the Hall of Fame that has played since 1980. Sean Taylor was nowhere close to achieving, nor was he on track to achieve, what he would have needed to achieve to join Ronnie Lott.

rjs246

But he was tall and liked to hit! Athletic! Stupid as a stump! Everything you look for in a hall of famer. Did I mention tall?
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

Zanshin

Sgt PSN

No, like Ed "Too Tall" Jones tall.  But more taller. 

Butchers Bill

he led the league in interceptions at the time of his death and was having a HOF type year...

There is no such thing as a HOF type year.  Otherwise, guys like Kurt Warner, Ickey Woods, and Jeff George would be headed for the hall.
I believe I've passed the age of consciousness and righteous rage
I found that just surviving was a noble fight.
I once believed in causes too,
I had my pointless point of view,
And life went on no matter who was wrong or right.

Munson

Quote from: Butchers Bill on January 10, 2008, 06:01:17 PM
he led the league in interceptions at the time of his death and was having a HOF type year...

There is no such thing as a HOF type year.  Otherwise, guys like Kurt Warner, Ickey Woods, and Jeff George would be headed for the hall.

Or anyone who has a career year basically.
Like Jeremy Shockey.
Or Kevin Curtis.
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

Sgt PSN

Wrong again dumbass.  A 1000 yard recieving year is not a "HOF type" year.  That's not even a pro bowl type year.  Just because it's a career best for Curtis does not mean that it's the type of production you'd expect out of a HOF'er from his position.  And Curtis could have the next 10 seasons exactly like this one and it wouldn't get him any closer to the hall than he is now. 

reese125

QuoteAnd Curtis could have the next 10 seasons exactly like this one and it wouldn't get him any closer to the hall than he is now.

Steve Largent would disagree whole-heartedly

ice grillin you

steve largent had over 100 td's thats what got him in the hall of fame not 70 catches and 1100 yards
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

ice grillin you

not to mention 70 and 1100 meant a hell of a lot more back then than it does in todays nfl which is a pass happy offense first league
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

reese125

Quotesteve largent had over 100 td's thats what got him in the hall of fame not 70 catches and 1100 yards

read what Sarge said again. He said over 10 more seasons. Who the hell cares what it meant back then or now..numbers are numbers regardless to any ballot

having over 80TD's and over 10,000+ yards is a hell of an achievement for any receiver and should get into the Hall with ease....and to to say otherwise is just being igy-ish

Sgt PSN

Steve Largent also played in a different era when teams didn't pass anywhere near as much as they do today.  When you compare Largent's stats to other recievers during his time, yes, he was among the best in the game.  Largent finished in the top 10 in receptions 9 times during his career and never once had more than 80 catches in a single season.  8 times during his career he ranked in the top 10 in recieving yards and never got more than 1300.  7 Pro bowl selections and 8 All Pro selections.

To compare, Kevin Curtis this year ranked 23rd in receptions with 77, 17th in yards with 1110, and 27th in TD receptions with 6.  0 Pro bowls and 0 All Pro selections. 

When you're looking at HOF type #s, it's not soley about how they compare to previous greats, but how do they compare against their peers.  Largent was clearly one of the best recievers in his time.  Curtis is not.