The Coaching Search Thread

Started by PhillyPhreak54, December 31, 2012, 07:51:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QB Eagles

Quote from: Eagaholic on December 31, 2012, 08:50:11 PM
this is from Eskin so it must be true

QuoteAccording to Howard Eskin of FOX 29 and WIP radio, owner Jeffrey Lurie's initial list has six names on it.

The candidates are, per Eskin, Penn State coach Bill O'Brien, Falcons offensive coordinator Dirk Koetter, 49ers offensive coordinator Greg Roman, Colts offensive coordinator Bruce Arians, and Oregon coach Chip Kelly.

goin' O

Unless there's a guy named Per Eskin, that list has five names on it, not six.

SD

If that's the list I'll take O'Brien. He has pro experience and dealt with more adversity than any coach in college history. Meaning he can handle Philly. Reid's handling of Philly was saying as little as possible.

Rome

I'll take Kelly just because his hiring would cause several people here to lose their shtein.

BigEd76

No way the Eagles pay $5M-$6M/yr and the $9M buyout for BOB while also paying Andy up until he's hired somewhere else.  Oh, and if your #1 priority this offseason is to regain trust in the Eagles fanbase, stealing PSU's guy would be brilliant.  I think any defensive-minded interviews are just doing due diligence but in the end they'll go with an offensive-minded guy, especially one that will be working with Foles.  I've been on the Chip bandwagon for months and that's who I want...

QB Eagles

Unless they go with some total known quantity like Chan Gailey (yeah right), it's a total crapshoot anyway. Even moreso than the draft. No one ever guesses how these coach moves turn out, there's too many different things the guy needs to be able to do to succeed. Most of the guys who seem promising fail.

With Kelly, it's getting to be kind of retarded how many people are going down the "hurr durr he can't run the Oregon offense in the NFL" path. Yeah, no shtein. Like Lurie said, it's not about hiring a guy to bring in a certain scheme, it's about hiring a guy who knows how to scheme for the situation he's in. Question 1 in the interview is gonna be, "So, do you have any more ideas, or are you going to try to run the Oregon offense in the NFL with Nick Foles?" A big chunk of it is also going to be about the people the HC surrounds himself with, and whether he gets the numerous miscreants in the Eagles locker room to buy in to his leadership.

Just going by the numbers, the next coach will probably suck. But maybe they'll hit the lottery. Why get upset about who they hire when we won't know for a couple years whether he's good, anyway.

PoopyfaceMcGee

Just checking in to confirm that I will pan whatever decision is made, unless IGY is already panning it hard. Then I will praise it to be contrarian.

Happy New Year, losers.

SD

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on January 01, 2013, 01:55:39 AM
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/20121231_Chip_Kelly_said_to_be_at_top_of_Eagles_list.html

Lets not kid ourselves, like we [fans in general] knew Reid was out the door we also know Kelly is the next HC. They'll interview a bunch of 'other' guys just to say they did their due diligence, but at the end of the day it's going to be Kelly.

And in case any of you missed it, Kelly is a huge Foles fan:
http://tucsoncitizen.com/wildcatreport/2011/09/25/oregon-coach-chip-kelly-on-nick-foles-i-watch-in-awe-sometimes/

So he'll come here, he'll ditch the run option portion of his offense and modify it to an NFL style. He'll keep some gimmicky aspects of the spread like Spurrier did when he went to DC.

The only good news with any new coach is we'll know what we're getting right away. This isn't the 98' Eagles where the team has no offensive talent, there's plenty of talent on the O to be effective. So he's either going to sink or swim. Personally I think he'll be an 8-8 guy, never really taking that big next step forward. 

PoopyfaceMcGee

Rome

I continue to scream at the rain about this but unless they drastically upgrade the offensive line it won't matter which $6M clown rolls into town.

PoopyfaceMcGee

Don't worry. I saw a mock draft where they drafted a big, goofy, white offensive tackle from Texas A&M to help protect their big, goofy, white quarterback.

Diomedes

I prefer white players because GRIT.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

SD

Quote from: Rome on January 01, 2013, 08:16:50 AM
I continue to scream at the rain about this but unless they drastically upgrade the offensive line it won't matter which $6M clown rolls into town.

The O-line doesn't need an overhaul, especially if you get Joeckel or sign a RT or RG.

Peters/Mathis/Kelce/Herremans/?

They need one player...Peters assuming he's healthy is the best LT in football, Mathis played at a pro bowl level this season, Kelce is adequate,and Herremans is solid.

Backups yes they need because King Dunlap should never step foot on the field again, but there's plenty of options to go with either through the draft or free agency. The BIG overhaul needed is from the secondary. They could cut every DB on their roster and it would be an improvement.

Rome

LOL @ Mathis as a Pro Bowler.  They were 4-12 and got quarterbacks injured faster than a farging speeding bullet.

And "if" Peters is back what's to guarantee he'll be anything resembling the player he was before he got injured?  He's on the wrong side of 30, right?

Herremans is playing out of position, Kelce was mediocre even when he was playing, Mathis is castoff average and they have absolutely no right tackle unless they stick with Wost Manneans there (which they shouldn't - he should be put back at guard where he belongs).

They need a massive upgrade in talent there.  Otherwise they're going to continue to get quarterbacks killed and their record won't rise about .500.

SD

That same line played just fine last season. Lineman aren't like speed players meaning they can easily play into their mid 30's. Peters was the best lineman in the game before his injury, even if he doesn't return to that high level of play he's still damn good.

I don't know what you were watching, but Mathis was the only bright spot on a horrid O-line. I thought he was a weak link in 2011 but this year he was solid.

How was Herremans playing 'out of position'? He was a college Tackle, was moved to Guard, then moved back to Tackle. He's been nothing but steady wherever they've put him at.

And Kelce was a rookie, I'd rather have a grater at C than a quick guy who can pull on sweeps but overall he was decent enough.

Once Peters went down they were doomed, the most underrated aspect of a pro offense is the anchor of the line. That's the guy you know is going to clear space when there is none. Peters is the only player on the team capable of mauling who ever is in his path.