Gearhead Thread

Started by Diomedes, January 25, 2007, 04:01:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SD

Quote from: Rome on May 13, 2012, 06:08:49 PM
I don't see the point of DIY when it comes to routine maintenance.  I can easily change it myself, but why bother?  For $20 I can have someone do it for me.

Agreed. Plus you have to get rid of oil which isn't always easy. Places like Jiffy Lube don't even make much money off oil changes, the other shtein like filters/differential fluid/tranny service etc. is their bread and butter. The cheap oil change is just to get you through the door. That's why I only use them for changing my oil [I have a lifetime 20% off oil changes card too]. Swapping filters/servicing my transmission and all of that shtein I do myself.

Sgt PSN

Quote from: SD on May 13, 2012, 07:05:53 PM
Quote from: Rome on May 13, 2012, 06:08:49 PM
I don't see the point of DIY when it comes to routine maintenance.  I can easily change it myself, but why bother?  For $20 I can have someone do it for me.

Agreed. Plus you have to get rid of oil which isn't always easy. Places like Jiffy Lube don't even make much money off oil changes, the other shtein like filters/differential fluid/tranny service etc. is their bread and butter. The cheap oil change is just to get you through the door. That's why I only use them for changing my oil [I have a lifetime 20% off oil changes card too]. Swapping filters/servicing my transmission and all of that shtein I do myself.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTJjqr0QbIk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

This is why you don't use Jiffy Lube or Midas or any other chain "car care" center.  Never mind the fact that in the amount of time it takes you to drive there, have the oil changed and get back home, you can DIY and have a 3 beer head start.

I'm no wrench expert but I haven't paid for an oil change in over 10 yrs.

And getting rid of oil is simple. Take it to your local fire dept. 

SD

A lot of that deals with getting other things serviced like your transmission which I do myself. And just because they found some shady ones that they've probably had complaints about doesn't mean they all do that. I can visually see them working on my car at the one I go to. And you don't need to install secret cameras on my car to see whether they've changed the filter or not.

And your 3 beers theory goes out the window as soon as you mention having to go out of your way to find a fire station that will take your old oil.

Diomedes

Quote from: Sgt PSN on May 13, 2012, 08:00:44 PMAnd getting rid of oil is simple. Take it to your local fire dept. 

Whaa?  I've never heard of that before.  I dispose of it at the dump, where they have a station for used motor oil.  Just dump it in.  Also, when I haven't had a chance to make a dump run, and I'm already headed to an auto supply store (Advance usually)--ERRANDZ--I bring a couple gallons and dump it in their tub in back.  They are required by law to accept it, and they don't mind one bit because they sell it. 
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Tomahawk

Exactly....drain the pan then take it to the parts store since you're going there anyway to buy a new filter and oil. They say they don't take coolant, but it's not like they watch you dump it. If you're not comfortable with that, your yard will accept coolant no questions asked.

Sgt PSN

Quote from: SD on May 13, 2012, 08:21:38 PM
And your 3 beers theory goes out the window as soon as you mention having to go out of your way to find a fire station that will take your old oil.

Who says you have to take it that day same day?  Let it sit in the pan for a week or until the next time you're heading in the general direction of an auto parts store/fire dept/public pool to drain it in....it ain't gonna hurt anything sitting for a few days or a week. 

Quote from: Diomedes on May 13, 2012, 09:36:26 PM
Quote from: Sgt PSN on May 13, 2012, 08:00:44 PMAnd getting rid of oil is simple. Take it to your local fire dept. 

Whaa?  I've never heard of that before. 

I can't speak for everywhere, but in NC, KC and Cali, my local fire depts have always accepted hazmat (free of charge).  When I lived in KC, I only took it there a few times before I learned than Auto Zone or Advance Auto (or some schtick like that) also took oil and was closer/less out of the way for me.  But yeah, 3 different areas I've lived in had fire depts that took it too. 

Diomedes

Speaking of oil changes...I just passed 4k on my new truck, figured I'd take it in for the first (free) oil change.  Just for kicks I looked in the owner's manual to see if I was already past the recommended milestone, or if I had a little time left.

10,000 miles is what is says.

Are you f'n kidding me?  Nope.  I read it a few times and cross checked with a gearhead friend to works at DOT.  New cars don't require oil changes as frequently as older ones, apparently.  Who knew?
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Seabiscuit36

And yet Dio, the dealer will have you come in at 3k intervals, just to squeeze that extra coin.
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

ice grillin you

its absolute insanity what dealers charge for oil changes....i bought one of those coupon books when i got my car so my first five oil changes are "free" but i went there last month to get one and the normal price for the oil change was 120 bucks
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

SD

Quote from: Sgt PSN on May 13, 2012, 11:00:34 PM
Quote from: SD on May 13, 2012, 08:21:38 PM

Who says you have to take it that day same day?  Let it sit in the pan for a week or until the next time you're heading in the general direction of an auto parts store/fire dept/public pool to drain it in....it ain't gonna hurt anything sitting for a few days or a week. 

Same day...different day...who cares. What a pain in the ass. I'd rather pay someone else to take care of it for me.

ice grillin you

yeah unless you cant afford paying someone else to do it....i cant think of a single good reason why you would ever change your own oil....service stations are always offering oil changes for under 20 bucks.....place i go to runs a 14.95 special at least once a month

i dont know what oil costs but its gotta be almost that much to buy the quarts of oil to put in your car??

Tomahawk

The reason you do it yourself is because then you know it's done right and you don't have to worry about whether or not the drain plug is tight or they put the fill cap back on. The latter happened to a buddy who lost an engine because of the shop's mistake. Also you can do it quicker yourself.

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: Diomedes on May 14, 2012, 06:43:04 AM
Speaking of oil changes...I just passed 4k on my new truck, figured I'd take it in for the first (free) oil change.  Just for kicks I looked in the owner's manual to see if I was already past the recommended milestone, or if I had a little time left.

Are you f'n kidding me?  Nope.  I read it a few times and cross checked with a gearhead friend to works at DOT.  New cars don't require oil changes as frequently as older ones, apparently.  Who knew?

Wow that's the first 10k report I've heard....I know with my '10 they have me do it every 5k.

Seabiscuit36

yeah, 5 quarts runs 19.99 for synthetic which i put in my car.  When a shop get's their oil its probably standard oil and they have to get it by a 55gallon drum for far less.  Ultimately its about time for me at this point.  It's a pain to drop off a car over night, and figure out how to get back there the next day. 
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

ice grillin you

Quote from: Tomahawk on May 14, 2012, 09:11:24 AM
The reason you do it yourself is because then you know it's done right and you don't have to worry about whether or not the drain plug is tight or they put the fill cap back on. The latter happened to a buddy who lost an engine because of the shop's mistake. Also you can do it quicker yourself.

thats not a reason...unless you have a like 1932 ford and are anal about it and dont want people touching your car...i can understand that

but the one in a billion chance that someone might mess up your oil change is not a reason to do it yourself...thats like saying dont spend money on a new car because you might have a heart attack and die in the next year

Quote from: Seabiscuit36 on May 14, 2012, 09:30:38 AM
yeah, 5 quarts runs 19.99 for synthetic which i put in my car.  When a shop get's their oil its probably standard oil and they have to get it by a 55gallon drum for far less.  Ultimately its about time for me at this point.  It's a pain to drop off a car over night, and figure out how to get back there the next day. 

i just make an appointment...but if you dont wanna do that go to jiffy lube for 30 bucks or whatever they charge...i guess another reason to do it is if you actually enjoy it.....and maybe gearheads like shtein like that...i personally detest automobiles so anytime i can get someone else to do something for or to my car im doing it

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on May 14, 2012, 09:18:42 AM
Quote from: Diomedes on May 14, 2012, 06:43:04 AM

Wow that's the first 10k report I've heard....I know with my '10 they have me do it every 5k.

my '10 says 8k