Gearhead Thread

Started by Diomedes, January 25, 2007, 04:01:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhillyPhanInDC

Camaros are great starter projects. Parts everywhere, cheap-to-rebuild small blocks, and a pretty good starting point. Anything you get of that vintage is going to have a smog motor, and it'll be on the list for a rebuild. Throw some decent compression at it 9.5 to one, and keep it cheap. No forged stuff, and put a four speed in it with a posi. Get the body right and some nice paint, and it'll be a real fun car.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.""  R.I.P George.

Diomedes

There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Diomedes

There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Sgt PSN

PhillyPhanInDC

Not enough hot wagons being made anymore. A buddy had a 510 sedan in high school, we put a rotary in it, but rust killed it, couldn't get it inspected. Cool little cars, but most of them are out West anymore, the salt ate them.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.""  R.I.P George.

PhillyPhreak54

Gone is the Immigrant Shuttle...

I traded the 2005 F150 Lariat that was stolen last year in on a 2010 F150 FX4 today.

Got a solid deal and decided to pull the trigger. The 05 was starting to have some problems and with the theft on its record I wanted to get out while I had equity in it.

I hadn't even thought of trading it in in awhile but went out looking last night. I had a specific list in mind of what I wanted and it had to be either charcoal gray or black with black leather and a bunch of other shtein. And I found it.

A nice ass ride.

Sgt PSN

PhillyPhreak54

Sgt PSN

Nice.....gotta throw some big boy tires on that thing though.  I've always been a fan of the Ford F-series trucks.  I forget if I posted it here or not, but a couple weeks before I left for South America, I traded my 4Runner in for a Tundra.  Wasn't ready to trade it in yet but it needed some tranny work done that was going to cost more $$ than I wanted to spend on it.  I was hoping to get another year or 2 out of it so I could afford to replace it with something new but it wasn't meant to be.......but I got 12 years and nearly 190,000 miles out of it, so I've got no complaints.  So since this came kind of suddenly, I had to go used and picked up a 2004 Tundra.  Didn't get a great deal on it, but I didn't get a bad deal either.  I absolutely loved the 4Runner but I'm really digging a full size truck.  Not gonna sink a lot of money in it though because I'd still like to go new in a couple years, I just need this thing to get me there.  I'm loving the new Tundras too.  Those things are some bad ass looking trucks. 

PhillyPhreak54

Nah, I love those rims and tires. I'm not a fan of lift kits or big ass tires to be honest.

How does the Tundra ride? I see a few that I like but most of 'em don't strike my fancy. Which one do you have?

Diomedes

Aren't Tundras all rusting out?

Sgt PSN

It's a 2004, V8 4x2.

I wanted something with 4WD but they aren't very popular in SoCal and since I was going used, I wasn't in a position to be overly picky, especially since I needed to get into something right away.  It rides great though.....very smooth and isn't horrible on gas (only getting about 14mpg in town, but when I get on the highway and set the cruise on 70-75, I'm getting about 21mpg).  It's got a lot more room inside which is really nice.  Nothing fancy though, just a very basic interior.  Damn thing actually has a cassette deck.  :-D 

Quote from: Diomedes on September 11, 2010, 10:39:58 PM
Aren't Tundras all rusting out?

The 2004 model did/does have a problem with rust, but a recall was put out on it and if I ever have a problem with rust, I can bring it in and they'll take care of it for me.  It's one of those things that SoCal Toyota's really haven't had a big problem with though because we don't see a lot of rain. 

Side note:  While I was checking out vehicles, I decided to test drive the new 4Runner for shteins and giggles.  On the outside, it looks to be a little bigger and tougher so I really can't say just how disappointed I was with the interior.  It has a nice look to it, but the driver's seat is so high up that my head was nearly touching the roof.  The back seat looked poorly made.....almost like a bench seat in a small RV and there wasn't as much leg room as there was in my 1998.  There's also 3rd row seating, which is probably the reason for the loss of leg room.  A 4Runner just isn't the type of vehicle to have 3rd row seating.  What a horrible idea.  It's a shame because I've always loved 4Runners but Toyota really butchered the crap out of their latest model.   

In a couple years, I'd like to trade in for this:

Seabiscuit36

When we were buying my 4Runner, they had the 3rd row option, i didnt want it because if you look at the paperwork it can only hold persons under 5ft 3 and under 130 lbs.  4Runners are trying to be a size bigger than they are at the price they run, but i will say they are amazing off road driving in sand and snow. 
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

SD

Anyone wanna buy a '98 Ford Ranger XLT

Diomedes