Gearhead Thread

Started by Diomedes, January 25, 2007, 04:01:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diomedes

that sounds like a ridiculous amount of fun
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

mussa

thats a lot of power...here's a pic

Official Sponsor of The Fire Andy Reid Club
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

Diomedes

okay gearheads...

I've just signed up for a junkyard go cart race organized by some friends.  $200 limit on spending, no race frames, 5.5hp engine.  winner determined after drag race, course race, timed lap, style/appearance, and possibly a drunk driving heat as well. 

I have no parts, no frame.  I might take the Briggs and Stratton enginge from my lawnmower, so that part might be covered.

Anyone here got a line on a cheap frame or other parts?  I'm willing to drive up to Philly if something that works is available.  Drop me a pm if you think you might be able to help.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

mussa

That rules. Are you driving the go-cart if you get it running?
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

Diomedes

teams are restricted to no more than two people.  if you have a team, then one member drives for the drag race and the other drives for the other races.

points penalties for drivers under 150 lbs.  But since I run 205 or so and my partner around 215, we're already at a disadvantage there.  I might actually try to drop ten pounds before the race, which will be mid July

Diomedes

dope ass jay leno video if you'll endure the opening commercial

http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/video/video_player.shtml?vid=944641

I got a cart frame, possibly an engine.

SD_Eagle5

Quote from: shorebird on November 21, 2008, 10:47:08 PM
It should be easy enough to install yourself, you will probably need a wire harness, and maybe a dash adapter. They are easy enough to find on ebay.

I'll say this, if you check a site like bestbuy, you probably can't buy those speakers for what your getting the whole system for.

Took me 2-3 hours to put the head unit and 6 inch speakers in my g/fs car. The 6 x 9s wouldn't fit so I took the factory ones out of my truck and rigged them in there which took a little work. Everything sounds great now.

mussa

Quote from: Diomedes on February 11, 2009, 12:02:53 AM
dope ass jay leno video if you'll endure the opening commercial

http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/video/video_player.shtml?vid=944641

those things are amazing. i wonder how much the printer costs

Tomahawk

The rain yesterday washed all the salt of the roads so I busted out the Riv for the first time since November. I found out the fuel sender is kaputt. Hopefully one of the parts cars has one that works - new ones cost almost two hundred bones.

PhillyPhreak54

This weekend I helped my boy remove a blown 302 and replace it with a rebuilt one. He bought a '93 F-150 for $1400 with the thought he would do the R & R and then flip it. It's in damn good shape for being 16yrs old and he's already got a few potential buyers lined up. All in all he invested $2500 and is going to sell it for about $3800. It's the perfect work truck.

We spent about 12 hours on Saturday gettin' after it. The beautiful part was that it went in without any problems. We stabbed the motor to the transmission and it lined right up with the torque converter. The only problem, and its not really a problem was the distributor was 180 degrees out. We repositioned it, played with the timing and it ran great. No leaks, no more knocks and some good fun. It'd been awhile since we messed with any engine stuff so it was good to do again.

We topped the weekend off by going to the range yesterday and blowing shtein up. We shot his Glock .45, Springfield 9mm and then tore into two boxes of clays with the 12 gauge.

PhillyPhanInDC

Quote from: Diomedes on February 11, 2009, 12:02:53 AM

Pictures. Post pictures. Of your unfinished molding and the cart.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.""  R.I.P George.

Diomedes

Will do soon.  It's nothing special.

Tomahawk

I sold my piece of shtein 1988 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 to a buddy who put on a 3" lift and welded in a roll cage. He says it's about done - should be a good mudding vehicle to tear up

SD_Eagle5

My Uncle threw some pics of his cars up on Facebook, here are some of them:
Nitro funny car

The Screamin Eagle:

41' Willys:

33' Willys - first pic is from the East Coast Drag Hall of Fame:

69 El Camino:

Cover of Vintage Fuel:

Guy in blue next to the car is my Grandpop, this was taken in 67':

Diomedes