Gearhead Thread

Started by Diomedes, January 25, 2007, 04:01:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SD_Eagle5

Quote from: shorebird on November 21, 2008, 10:47:08 PM
It should be easy enough to install yourself, you will probably need a wire harness, and maybe a dash adapter. They are easy enough to find on ebay.

I'll say this, if you check a site like bestbuy, you probably can't buy those speakers for what your getting the whole system for.

thanks for the feedback, I'm getting two one for my truck and one for the womens. I just hope they fit. If I buy two of these should that do the trick as far as installation goes?
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=1863070&findingMethod=rr

shorebird

I can't really tell by looking at the box. If your model vehicle is on the box it could fit, but unless your getting one specifically for your vehicle, it might not. Just be careful opening the box, Wal-Mart is great about returns.

I don't think the wiring harness would come with either the system or the dash adapter. Most all after market head units have the same receptacle in the back. What your going to need is a wiring harness  for whatever year and model car or truck you have to plug in from the head unit to the plug in your cars system. Say you had a Ford vehicle, chances are this harness would fit your vehicle. Metra brand is top of the line. I haven't installed any systems in any vehicles other than my own, my sons, and my nephews, but one thing I've been told by professional installers is that you want to do what you need to do to keep from cutting the wires on the harness in your vehicle.

Make sure the speakers your getting will fit were your old ones are, if they are going in the same spot. They look like 6x9's and 5's. Most likely you will cut the plugs off the end of the old wire and hook it up to the wire coming from the back of the new speaker. There are all kinds of soderless connectors out there, that will keep you from doing the electrical tape rig like I used to do when I was younger.

PhillyPhanInDC

Dude, before you buy any of that, check www.crutchfield.com - I'm not saying buy anything from them, but they guides where you put in the Year/Make/Model and it will tell what speakers and radios will fit in a specific car.

Generally upgrading to a new head unit and speakers will at times seem to produce a weaker sound than the stock stuff. This is usually because the speakers have a higher RMS wattage, or optimal wattage level, to produce decent sound. Most head units can't keep up, so I'd suggest getting a cheap amp as well, maybe a four channel with about 60 watts RMS per channel.

The head unit in that kit is 4 channels by 45 watts MAX, which means maybe half of that most of the time. From doing a quick check, those speakers run around 100W RMS.

Target, Walmart, BestBuy, etc., will have the stereo installation kit (again, specific to make/model/year), pick up some butt connectors, a cheap pair of crimping pliers, and you'll be good to go. DO NOT CUT INTO THE STOCK WIRING! You shouldn't need to.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.""  R.I.P George.

shorebird

Quote from: PPinDC on November 22, 2008, 08:33:18 PM
Dude, before you buy any of that, check www.crutchfield.com - I'm not saying buy anything from them, but they guides where you put in the Year/Make/Model and it will tell what speakers and radios will fit in a specific car.

Thats real helpful. I clicked on "Car Audio and Video", and then "Outfit My Car", go through the steps of make model, body type, etc., and it tells you everything you need to know.

SD_Eagle5

Thanks PPinDC that link was extremely helpful. I found a few installation tips online lastnight and I think I can probably knock the headset and speakers out in an hour.

Tomahawk

Did it really take only an hour or was it closer to five? It seems like anytime I do a project the estimated time and cost is a lot lower than actual

Diomedes

There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

shorebird

Woah! Do you know what started that?? Electrical? I've heard of trucks burning up when parked. Or was it an oil leak with a hot engine?

Diomedes

don't know or care..I like the picture for ironic purposes
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Father Demon

The Pedal-to-the-Metal, Totally Illegal, Cross-Country Sprint for Glory

And so the clock starts and the taillights flare, and they're off again, strapped down, fueled up, and bound on an outlaw enterprise with 2,795 miles of interstate and some 31,000 highway cops between them and the all-time speed record for crossing the American continent on four wheels.

Randolph highway patrol sunglasses, 20-gallon reserve fuel tank, Tasco 8 x 40 binoculars fitted with a Kenyon KS-2 gyro stabilizer, military spec Steiner 7 x 50 binoculars, Hummer H1-style bumper-mounted L-3 Raytheon NightDriver thermal camera and LCD dashboard screens, front-and-rear-mounted sensors for a Valentine One radar/laser detector, flush bumper-mount Blinder M40 laser jammers, redundant Garmin StreetPilot 2650 GPS units, preprogrammed Uniden police radio scanners, ceiling-mount Uniden CB radio with high-gain whip antenna. Check. Check. Check.

Roy is attempting to break a legendary cross-country driving record known to most people as the Cannonball Run. The time: 32 hours, 7 minutes, set in 1983 by David Diem and Doug Turner. Captain Roy's quest is definitely illegal and quite possibly impossible. He is one of the few drivers wealthy and geeky and foolish enough to try it anyway. So far he's tried and failed twice, but he's still convinced that his careful calculations will allow him to beat the record.
The drawback to marital longevity is your wife always knows when you're really interested in her and when you're just trying to bury it.

Diomedes

shorebird

That guy is one drivin' s.o.b.

Diomedes

mussa

wow, hell of a car and taken to the extreme with a hell of a driver, thats an awesome vid :yay
Official Sponsor of The Fire Andy Reid Club
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

mussa

might be buying a 500cc off-road go cart friday!
Official Sponsor of The Fire Andy Reid Club
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"