Phillies

Started by MDS, March 29, 2018, 04:09:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rome

He's a good reliever and they signed him for reasonable dough.  I like it. 

SD

Quote from: ice grillin you on January 03, 2019, 04:03:29 PM
34 year old relievers history even recent history is meaningless...could he have a 2.15 era and 1.00 whip next year sure....but he could also go 4.12 and 1.19

they have a trillion right handed arms in the organization that id much rather try as a reliever

this is the phillies signing a guy as if they signed harper and machado and are contenders

its an eh move at best and will look even worse in spring training if they have whiffed on everything important

Spot on assessment. I could sort of understand the move if he was a lefty and they were contenders but this falls into the Carlos Santana why signing

Rome

So they're not contenders if they sign Machado and/or Harper? 

SD

Rome

You do know that Robertson is actually tougher on lefthanders than righties, right?  Plus he's willing to pitch anywhere provided they're in high pressure situations. 

He's been one of the better relievers in baseball for a while.  How valuable would he have been last year during the August and September freefall?

I like the signing.  To me it's logical if they view themselves as contenders, and they are if they hook either one or two or both of the big fish. 

ice grillin you

Quote from: Rome on January 03, 2019, 06:34:24 PM
So they're not contenders if they sign Machado and/or Harper?

Correct!
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

MDS

Quote from: ice grillin you on January 03, 2019, 04:03:29 PM
its an eh move at best and will look even worse in spring training if they have whiffed on everything important

its more of meh move because 2 years at 10 per is basically nothing. the tommy hunter and pat neshek moves were much worse and even those didnt mean anything. its not like they gave him 5 years.

Quote from: Rome on January 03, 2019, 07:36:37 PM
You do know that Robertson is actually tougher on lefthanders than righties, right?  Plus he's willing to pitch anywhere provided they're in high pressure situations. 

this is strangely a good baseball point by rome. robertson has reverse splits and doesnt care if hes used in the 7th 8th or 9th. career wise, he gives up a 546 ops against left handers. andrew miller? 659. britton? 604.

now of course his first appearance against freeman he is going to give up a 3 run homer because its the phillies and this is what happens, but the logic is solid.

Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

ice grillin you

doesnt matter who he is better against...no one cares about watching dave farging robertson (or for that matter andrew miller) pitch meaningless phillie games...

again if they sign machado or harper and trade for a starter or whatever else they need to do to become contenders then fine ill take the veteran over the system....or even if robertson was 27 and they signed him to five years i guess it would mean something

otherwise its a less than meaningless move

they literally have a dozen potential bullpen arms that if developed and successful will be pitching when games matter....i wanna see them find those guys

smeags

If guns kill people then spoons made Rosie O'Donnel a fatass.

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 16, 2008, 03:38:24 PM
phillies will be under 500 this year...book it

MDS

Quote from: ice grillin you on January 04, 2019, 09:56:33 AM
again if they sign machado or harper and trade for a starter or whatever else they need to do to become contenders then fine ill take the veteran over the system....or even if robertson was 27 and they signed him to five years i guess it would mean something

otherwise its a less than meaningless move

youre still going to see all of those guys. they can really only have 4/5 roster lock RPs. the other spots go to guys with options. so the guys on the fringes of the roster and in AA/AAA will get opportunities. i think both hunter and neshek are gone, even if they have to eat the money.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

ice grillin you

robertson is gonna chew up what 60-70 innings?

id rather every last one of them go to kids

Rome

That's nice.  They won't.  They'll go to the guy they signed.  Sorry. 

smeags

If guns kill people then spoons made Rosie O'Donnel a fatass.

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 16, 2008, 03:38:24 PM
phillies will be under 500 this year...book it

General_Failure

I didn't know you were a Facebook housewife. Got any essential oils for sale?

The man. The myth. The legend.

Rome

I went with my daughter to Bath & Body Works to buy my wife Christmas gifts.  I took one step in there and said nope.  Handed the kid $50 and said get whatever you think she'd want.  Scary shtein.