"I'll be there," says Owens.

Started by Diomedes, July 22, 2005, 05:50:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SD_Eagle5

McNabb says he has no issues with T.O.

By ROB MAADDI, AP Sports Writer
July 30, 2005
BETHLEHEM, Pa. (AP) -- Donovan McNabb would rather exchange high-fives with Terrell Owens instead of harsh words.

McNabb said Saturday he doesn't need to work out any differences with Owens, even though the five-time Pro Bowl quarterback and the All-Pro wide receiver squabbled during the Philadelphia Eagles' tumultuous offseason.

``Everything is going to be fine,'' McNabb said after the defending NFC champions held their first practice at training camp. ``I know you guys are looking for a story, for us to start fighting or stuff like that. Sorry if I don't give that to you, but I'm just going to be me.''

Owens is due in camp with the rest of the team on Monday -- the rookies and some other players reported Friday night. Though he skipped minicamps to protest because he wants a new contract, Owens already said he plans to show up.

McNabb looks forward to throwing to his favorite target. The flashy Owens set team records with 14 touchdown receptions and seven 100-yard games, and finished with 77 catches for 1,200 yards last season. He defied his doctor's advice, returned from a broken leg and severely sprained right ankle injury and had nine catches for 122 yards in the Super Bowl.

``I think it's good that we are finally going to put this to bed and focus on our goal, obviously to make sure we are prepared and our chemistry is where it needs to be on the offensive side,'' McNabb said.

Owens started the trouble when he took a shot at McNabb, saying he ``wasn't the guy who got tired in the Super Bowl.''

McNabb insisted he didn't get sick and wasn't tired in the fourth quarter of the 24-21 loss to New England.

``Just keep my name out of your mouth,'' McNabb responded. ``Don't try to throw names or guys under the bus to better yourself.''

McNabb said he has spoken to Owens since making those comments. However, their relationship clearly isn't the same as it once was. Owens wasn't among the seven teammates that joined McNabb for offseason workouts in Arizona.

``My parents continue to instill in my head that the best way to handle the situation is to continue to lift your chin up, understand what is going on, and continue to move forward,'' McNabb said.

``In a situation like this, if it's T.O. or Bernard Hopkins, whoever may decide to take shots, the best way to handle it is to be yourself and being able to understand what is at hand. What's at hand is for me to be prepared and ready to go lead this team to a Super Bowl win.''

Hopkins, the former undisputed middleweight champion and a Philadelphia native, blamed McNabb for the Eagles' loss to the Patriots in a television interview in March.

McNabb is coming off his best season in six years in Philadelphia. He threw for 3,875 yards and 31 TDs, leading the Eagles to the Super Bowl after three consecutive losses in the NFC title game.

Owens and McNabb got along just fine last year, never missing an opportunity to praise each other. But Owens hasn't been popular in Philadelphia since he started complaining with his new agent Drew Rosenhaus about the seven-year, $48.97 million deal he signed after coming to the Eagles in March 2004.

PhillyPhreak54

That article is a bit mis-leading on one thing -- that 'keep your name outta my mouth' quote was actually from the post draft min-camp but the AP made it sound like he said it yesterday.

They said on CSN that Donovan took 20 questions and 10 of them were about TO. WHen he got up from the PC he was like "no more TO questions, this is it" but he was laughing and joking about it. But I'm sure that some writer will make it sound as if McNabb was yelling and pissed about it.

He also said "I don't think anyone has gone through as much as I have in 6 years" or something like that in reference to controversey.

Geowhizzer

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on July 31, 2005, 02:02:39 AM
That article is a bit mis-leading on one thing -- that 'keep your name outta my mouth' quote was actually from the post draft min-camp but the AP made it sound like he said it yesterday.

They said on CSN that Donovan took 20 questions and 10 of them were about TO. WHen he got up from the PC he was like "no more TO questions, this is it" but he was laughing and joking about it. But I'm sure that some writer will make it sound as if McNabb was yelling and pissed about it.

He also said "I don't think anyone has gone through as much as I have in 6 years" or something like that in reference to controversey.

That's because he's too sensitive, Phreak...  :paranoid

Butchers Bill

Sooo...what do you predict the Dow will be at the end of the year?   :paranoid

http://www.nj.com/eagles/times/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1122797410222971.xml&coll=5

"No more T.O. questions after this," the Eagles quarterback strongly suggested as he rose from his seat following his first press conference of training camp at Lehigh University yesterday.
I believe I've passed the age of consciousness and righteous rage
I found that just surviving was a noble fight.
I once believed in causes too,
I had my pointless point of view,
And life went on no matter who was wrong or right.

Eaglez

"No more T.O. questions after this," the Eagles quarterback strongly suggested as he rose from his seat following his first press conference of training camp at Lehigh University yesterday.

The media doesn't care about the integrity in their reporting anymore. Nevermind reporting events truthfully and with accuracy, anything that will stir up controversy and make for a flashy headline.

Geowhizzer

Maybe Steve Carlton had the right idea.  Cut out the media entirely.

McNabb puts much with more crap from the media than should be reasonable expected of anyone.

Eaglez

Hmm, I wonder if he's on his way to Lehigh right now...

PhillyGirl

Quote from: Eaglez on July 31, 2005, 07:41:25 PM

Do they start practice tomorrow or do they check in tomorrow?
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

Diomedes

If he's gonna be there, then he must be.  It takes time to travel, even for the rich.  You'll want to have some sleep before the first day, too.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

mikey418

Quote from: PhillyGirl on July 31, 2005, 07:42:42 PM

Do they start practice tomorrow or do they check in tomorrow?
Check in tomorrow.  Conditioning on Tues, practice wednesday
The wannabe sponsor of Stallworth and Baskett

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: Joel1972 on July 31, 2005, 11:10:54 AM

Sooo...what do you predict the Dow will be at the end of the year?   :paranoid

http://www.nj.com/eagles/times/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1122797410222971.xml&coll=5

I guess little Nicky Fierro must be learning from his colleague at the Trenton Times, Mark Eckel. :-D

In a rare moment yesterday, I was able to pick to ESPN920 radio at work. I was listening to some guy talking about McNabb and he was praising Donovan to no end for the way he deals with controversey. Although he did say that McNabb is rapidly approaching the "can't win a big game" status, which I don't agree with. But this guy (Jason Smith?) even said that McNabb was joking about the no-more-TO-questions line.

PhillyGirl

QuoteOwens and the remainder of the Eagles' veterans are expected to be checked in at Lehigh University by 5 p.m. today.

From today's paper.
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen