"I'll be there," says Owens.

Started by Diomedes, July 22, 2005, 05:50:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MURP

Mad-Lad

Quote from: MURP on July 28, 2005, 10:25:25 AM

that's just creepy.  I think you're really saying that the whole TO thing is like "Bad Medicine"

PhillyGirl

"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

Wingspan

Quote from: PhillyGirl on July 28, 2005, 09:14:41 AM
Quote from: Zanshin on July 28, 2005, 08:17:45 AM
QuoteIt's not all of my teammates that I have a problem with.

That's the interesting part to me....

He didn't say it with the stress on the word "all". If you listened to the interview, he just meant it as "all of his teammates" he doesn't have a problem with.

yeah, right ::)
Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

Mad-Lad

Quote from: PhillyGirl on July 28, 2005, 10:32:59 AM
Or a really bad hair day.

just becasue they can't tease their bangs quite as well as you can, doesn't mean you should make fun of them.

sallad selgae

So TO will be playing for the Soul soon??
"Official Sponsor of the first, fourth round draft pick"

mikey418

Quote from: sallad selgae on July 28, 2005, 11:18:38 AM
So TO will be playing for the Soul soon??

You may have just won the award for the most retarded post ever.
The wannabe sponsor of Stallworth and Baskett

General_Failure

That's an incredible accomplishment.

The man. The myth. The legend.

rjs246

Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

Father Demon

Give him points for speed.  Only 87 posts!!
The drawback to marital longevity is your wife always knows when you're really interested in her and when you're just trying to bury it.

sallad selgae

I pride myself on my inane comment to post ratio.  Speaking on behalf of Hank "Honeybuns" Fraley, your support is appreciated.
"Official Sponsor of the first, fourth round draft pick"

Rome

Bahahaha!  Even hacks at the Orlando Slantinel are having trouble digesting the T.O. melodrama:

QuoteAthletes prove that holding out is all relative
Published July 28, 2005

Most financial advisers would love to invest $50 million. But when it comes to Terrell Owens, they'd need a minute to compose themselves first.

"It makes you want to pull a wastebasket out and puke," said one Orlando money manager.

He didn't want his name used because it wouldn't be professional to throw up on anyone's financial plans. But every day, clients come to him worried about the future.

In that sense, they're no different than T.O. In another sense, none of his clients have spent the offseason threatening to hold out if the Philadelphia Eagles don't tear up a $50 million contract and offer a better deal.

Owens cites many reasons he needs a raise. A lot of them even make sense. But predictably, he has fallen back on one that doesn't.

T.O says he needs to "take care of my family." Athletes have been trotting that out since the first discus thrower threatened to skip Olympia unless the Greeks gave him more oxen.

"My main focus is to take care of my family," New York Knicks forward Kurt Thomas said last year.

Understandable because he was only due to make $5.8 million at the time.

"You've got your family to take care of," Gary Payton said in 1997.

He was actually commenting about teammate Shawn Kemp's holdout. Considering the size of Kemp's family, the $107 million deal he eventually got might not have been enough.

As tiresome as contract squabbles are, nothing is lamer than when the jock uses his family as a human shield. It's not that they want more money. They have to make more money, or the kids will start eating paint.

Does Owens really have reason to be worried?

"I'm no bleeding heart," the financial planner said, "but the guy is probably taking home only $4 million a year after taxes."

Let's discount the fact Owens already has banked about $25 million in salary the past nine years. We won't even count what he's made from endorsements or his minor-league basketball career.

If Owens isn't cut and gets only what's left on the remaining six years of his contract, his family would have to get by on about $333,000 a month. His immediate family consists of a son, Terique, who lives with his mother. Hopefully, Owens has his Sharpie handy and will write this down.

"Tax-free bonds," the financial planner said.

It's the safest route for family security, T.O. A 15-year bond at 4 percent interest will put $160,000 a year in your pocket without ever touching a dime of principal.

Of course, Owens probably spends $160,000 a year on pedicures. But as his agent, Drew Rosenhaus, points out, players should grab all the money they can because they risk their lives every time they step on the field.

That may sound a little hyperbolic to soldiers in Iraq, who risk their lives for an average of $34,000 a year. But unlike T.O, they get free housing. And Congress recently bumped the death benefit from $12,000 to $100,000. If the worst happens, at least their families still can afford cable.

Like any good father, Owens only wants only the best for his family. But at $50 an hour, he could pay for only 54.8 years of piano lessons for Terique. As for college, he will be able to send his son to Harvard 476 times before it's student loan time.

Is it any wonder T.O. is worried?

Yeah, it's easy to pick on Owens about this. By NFL standards, he really does deserve a raise.

It's just hard to be sympathetic when you're puking into a wastebasket.

David Whitley can be reached at dwhitley@orlandosentinel.com.

:-D

Wingspan

with all these people saying "i need more millions for my family"

has anyone ever wondered why family members of pro athelets never seem to have a job? maybe some of them wouldnt cry about their contract if, say their deadbeat brother, would just get himself a job?
Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

phillymic2000

Quote from: Wingspan on July 28, 2005, 04:40:41 PM
with all these people saying "i need more millions for my family"

has anyone ever wondered why family members of pro athelets never seem to have a job? maybe some of them wouldnt cry about their contract if, say their deadbeat brother, would just get himself a job?
[/b]

LOL   :-D :-D

PoopyfaceMcGee

Jason Whitlock sides with TO, yet he offers no thorough or reasonable resolution to contract issues in the NFL.

Basically another POS from a POS page 2 writer, in case you haven't seen enough already.