Random Philadelphia Sports Musings Thread

Started by ice grillin you, March 10, 2012, 07:59:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ice grillin you

ill add that even the phillies in 2015 while putrid did hire klentak who at he time carried some excitement as a young forward thinking gm...again it crashed and burned but at the time it was something at least
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Rome

The Union are fun to watch and have the best youth academy in the league. 

No one cares about soccer, though. 

QB Eagles

A full offseason of Morey gives me more hope than Klentak ever did. And Embiid individually is better right now than any player in Philly sports was in 2015. His prime will likely be limited due to being a big guy who falls hard 10 times a game, but he's fun to watch. I do think they move Ben which by itself will give the team a new look.

Eagles are in year 1 of a full rebuild and made their most electric draft pick in recent memory. I expect them to be horrid in 2021 but at least they aren't running it back with Doug and the ginger. This year should be interesting to see who emerges as part of the new core. If Hurts or Sirianni impress (neither of which I expect), that's even better.

Phillies are complete trash for the foreseeable future. MDS can tell himself stories about competing in 2024 but we remember him saying that about 2020. The Phillies are bleak. Which is what they've been 90% of my life.

I didn't watch enough Flyers this year to have strong feelings about them, other than that they seemed to underachieve their talent level by a wide margin. If Hart gets his head sorted out and they get even 20% better on defense this can be a solid playoff team. Just statistically it's unlikely they stay so bad on D. Worst thing about this team from my perspective is that they're incredibly boring, which is why I didn't seek out many games as an out-of-market fan.

I am not optimistic about Philly sports right now but if someone wants to believe, they can find grounds to so do (except for the Phillies).

Quote from: Rome on June 21, 2021, 10:56:16 AM
No one cares about soccer, though. 

People who care about soccer don't care about the MLS.

SD

We haven't hit rock bottom yet...wait'll Wentz wins mvp next season and takes the colts to the Sb

Also at that point:
The birds will be 4-12 and Howie will still be in charge
The flyers will be barely .500
The Sixers who cares until the 2nd round
We'll all be looking forward to pitchers and catchers to report so the Phillies can give us another borderline .500 season

It's more a purgatory right now than hell

PhillyPhreak54

The responses today have only driven me deeper into sports depression.

Rome

I don't give a flying farg if a Philly team ever wins again.

The Eagles won the Super Bowl, and if I traded everything else going forward that night, I'm good with that. 

Don Ho

I am as old as dirt compared to some of you and yes just as pissed off.  No excuse for the catastrophe we just witnessed.  Every time I hear NBA Championship or watch the finals all I can think of is the 1983 Sixers.  That is pathetic.  Coming on 40 years now.  Thankfully I was able to enjoy that 83' team.  Let's not bring up Flyers last Stanley Cup.  Phillies looking bleak as usual (but we all got to celebrate 2008 and I'm still fuming over 2009 WS and 2011 NLDS) and birds actually get a pass with rebuild and SB XVII still very fresh.  It looks as bad as it can get but I have seen some real bad stuff in my decades of cheering for these putzs.  Go look up 1972 sports year in Philadelphia.  Talk about no light at the end of the tunnel.  One of my lowest points was when the bums were swept in the 2007 NLDS by the Rockies.  I remember thinking this team will never win shtein again, won't sniff the playoffs again for a decade.  2008 took me by complete surprise.  I am now thinking the Sixers will be perennial round 2 exit experts, almost worse than not making the playoffs.  The one team that gave us any hope.
And we pray for a 2022 miracle.

"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.

MDS

the eagles are amazingly probably the best positioned team to be good next. they are 1 year away from having cap flexibility, have 3 1's coming up and have an outside outside chance of already possessing a franchise qb. its not like a good position but its better than the other 3.

sixers flyers phillies are all hopeless unless you are falling for the ben simmons will develop a jump shot trick again
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

QB Eagles

Quote from: Don Ho on June 21, 2021, 10:12:39 PMGo look up 1972 sports year in Philadelphia.  Talk about no light at the end of the tunnel.

I've been doing some deep dives into the truly dark ages of the Eagles lately, the mid 60s through the mid 70s. There was shtein that happened that would cause riots nowadays.

There were trades that can only be explained by Tose owing the wrong people money. I mean trades so bad that I think the NFL head office would outright reject them if tried today, and possibly open an investigation.

In 1971 the Eagles traded two second round picks and their 1972 third round pick for Lions QB Greg Barton, who had thrown one pass in his 3 year NFL career on the Lions bench. Not only that, but Barton was a few weeks away from becoming a free agent. After the trade Barton then became a free agent and signed with the Toronto Argonauts before playing a single down for the Eagles. The Eagles would have been entitled to a compensatory pick under the old system if he had signed to another NFL team, but got nothing for losing the player to the CFL. The team basically set three high round picks on fire for no reason.

In 1974, the Bengals drafted Mike Boryla in the 4th round and he became their third-string QB. A couple months into the 1974 season they flipped him to the Eagles for the Eagles' 1976 FIRST ROUND pick plus an additional sixth-rounder. And the Eagles had Roman Gabriel, so they were bringing in Boryla to be their backup QB.

MDS

Quote from: QB Eagles on June 21, 2021, 11:15:01 PM
In 1971 the Eagles traded two second round picks and their 1972 third round pick for Lions QB Greg Barton, who had thrown one pass in his 3 year NFL career on the Lions bench. Not only that, but Barton was a few weeks away from becoming a free agent. After the trade Barton then became a free agent and signed with the Toronto Argonauts before playing a single down for the Eagles. The Eagles would have been entitled to a compensatory pick under the old system if he had signed to another NFL team, but got nothing for losing the player to the CFL. The team basically set three high round picks on fire for no reason.

this feel likes the fords offered to pay off whatever mobster tose owed
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

PhillyPhreak54

I'd love to read Tose's life story with all the dirt

QB Eagles

It's been a weird 24 hours. That is all.

SD

Tornado touched down about 2 minutes from me. Took out part of a Home Depot and Faulkner Toyota. Videos are insane.

ice grillin you

i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

MDS

eagles - L
cowboys - W
wentz - hurt
braves - W
cardinals - W
phillies - L

banner day