the random musings not worthy of new thread thread

Started by ice grillin you, March 28, 2006, 02:06:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diomedes

Yeah man.  Take everything out, wash all the parts, freezer too.  And of course it's full of food.  And I was like parenting and shtein at the same time.  But yeah.  It's farging clean now.  You'd think we are civilized. 

Did the microwave and stove/oven tonight. 

There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

PhillyPhreak54

Impressive.

I mean I've cleaned the fridge before. Hell I did the freezer the other night. Just haven't ever broken the whole shebang down like that.

SD

Quote from: Diomedes on July 15, 2021, 11:47:45 PM
Yeah man.  Take everything out, wash all the parts, freezer too.  And of course it's full of food.  And I was like parenting and shtein at the same time.  But yeah.  It's farging clean now.  You'd think we are civilized. 

Did the microwave and stove/oven tonight.

Sounds about right. I never spent 3 hours but definitely an hour or two. Removing food. Then the shelves/drawers etc. Sink and surrounding areas also have to be clear because it's a lot of pieces to lay out. if you're going to clean it you need to do it right. Last week something dripped down to the lower shelves, on the rails and under the bottom drawers. Rest of the fridge was fine but I had to take everything out to get to those areas. Last drawer nearest to the door wouldn't go in so I left it up on the counter...it dropped and cracked. Went to buy a replacement drawer online but it's over $100. I'll pass for now. It's just my daughter and I so the fridge rarely gets full enough to where we need to use those spaces.

It's great your kids get involved. My daughter has her own bathroom...I was cleaning it up until a few months ago when I said she needs to take ownership and it's now incorporated into her allowance. She now scrubs that shtein down completely every week or two.

Diomedes

While we're talking about children (plug your ears Russell, I'm about to say way too much about my personal life for your tender sensibilities) :

The boy is almost 12 and the girl is 9.  The boy is pretty done with summer camps, the girl still loving them.  For the past two weeks, the girl has been at a City run tennis camp with friends.  The boy has been on the job with me.  Yesterday I had him helping me hang siding.  It would be hard to express how awesome it is to have him working with me.  He's getting good at breaking out all the tools and running them to me when I ask, and also at putting them away when the day is done.  Huge time saver and he's walking around the house with his chest puffed up because he's helping Daddy build an addition.  We have a lot of fun and I'm more productive thanks to his help.  It's fantastic.  I think next year he'll just go to work with me during the summer.  In three years or so, so will my daughter.

There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Rome

I assume you're paying your child labor slave a decent wage and also affording him health care and other fringe benefits?

MDS

dio if you're running a child slave workshop I need a wall finished in my basement
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Diomedes

Sure thing.  $75/hr for a carpenter, $50/hr for helper, materials +20%, will put you on the schedule for May of 2022.

By the time they're 25 my self-employed kids are going to be makiig more money building things for effete office dwellers than the doctors who prescribe them dick pills and prozac.

General_Failure

By the time your kids are 25 I hope they know how to build and maintain a war machine to battle the roving bands of raiders looking to kill for the dwindling resources that weren't spent on sending billionares to space.

The man. The myth. The legend.

Diomedes

Happy Monday you poor bastiches.  What's going on for you today?  I have a big day:

Almost a year ago the biggest project of my career was dealt a debilitating blow by a building inspector, who failed my framing for fire code violation.  I had built the addition according to the approved plans, but long story short, the engineer's review office never bothered to look at the (architect-prepared) construction drawings, and fire code is the law of God, so the project ground to a halt while everyone fought about it.  The architect bailed on the project, despite his contract explicitly stating that the plans he provides would comport with local building and zoning code, etc.  Eventually, after great delay, an extremely expensive solution was identified and executed.

Today is the day it gets inspected again.  With any luck at all, I'll have my framing sticker in hand later today, and I'll be able to proceed.

Zanshin

Quote from: Diomedes on July 19, 2021, 07:17:35 AM
Happy Monday you poor bastiches.  What's going on for you today?  I have a big day:

Almost a year ago the biggest project of my career was dealt a debilitating blow by a building inspector, who failed my framing for fire code violation.  I had built the addition according to the approved plans, but long story short, the engineer's review office never bothered to look at the (architect-prepared) construction drawings, and fire code is the law of God, so the project ground to a halt while everyone fought about it.  The architect bailed on the project, despite his contract explicitly stating that the plans he provides would comport with local building and zoning code, etc.  Eventually, after great delay, an extremely expensive solution was identified and executed.

Today is the day it gets inspected again.  With any luck at all, I'll have my framing sticker in hand later today, and I'll be able to proceed.

All the best-- and that must have been a drag. Who ended up eating the significant extra cost on that, out of curiosity? Hope it wasn't you, as you followed the approved plans.

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: Diomedes on July 19, 2021, 07:17:35 AM

Good luck, man.

Diomedes

I got the pass.  Because I can build shtein.  The problem was the goddamn design, not the construction.  And I'm responsible only for the latter.

Insulators and drywall lined up, just a matter of time before I finally get out of that nightmare job.

I name my tough jobs.

The Black Hole Bathroom
The Front Fell Off
The Never Ending One Story
The Back Fell Off

I think I'm gonna raise my rates. 

PhillyPhreak54

Good stuff!

Well you have a front and back fell off...any sides fall off?

And yes raise your rates.

Diomedes

MDS

dio is def building shtein for b&b enterprises
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.