the random musings not worthy of new thread thread

Started by ice grillin you, March 28, 2006, 02:06:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QB Eagles

The wing of the building that collapsed was under 30 years old. If regular corrosion led to 30 year old high rise buildings pancaking like that, there'd be one of these every day. Same goes for people pointing out that the building was sinking. A lot of buildings are sinking in Florida, many of them a lot more than this one was. There are lots of structures with large cracks, exposed rebar, and rust that are deficient but not unsafe or an indication that sudden structural failure is even remotely close to possible. A building doesn't have to be in great shape to stay standing.

Think it's gonna end up being a combo of factors, like many engineering failures of this magnitude are... just for example, a fundamentally flawed design in the addition section + the nearby construction transmitting vibrations that cracked the columns + someone hitting a column in the underground parking garage. I'm curious to see what investigators conclude.

Diomedes

Quote from: QB Eagles on June 25, 2021, 09:54:29 AMA building doesn't have to be in great shape to stay standing.

Fact.
Sometimes I repair structures that seem to stand only because they've stood for so long, they want to just stay there.  Current project is an 1885 balloon framed gable roof house that has literally no sill beam for 12 feet of bearing wall to one corner, the corner post of which rotted away decades ago.  House doesn't even have diagonal sheathing, just lap siding nailed directly to actual 2x4 studs.  I'm impressed by how little it's moved.  I'm going to fix it because it's a looming disaster, but if I did nothing it might keep standing for a long time. 
Or it might fold in next year.  Hard to tell.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Geowhizzer

MDS

nothing quite like being rich in the american criminal justice system
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

General_Failure

See? There can't be racism if the Cos is a free man.

The man. The myth. The legend.

Diomedes

I'm hiring a carpenter.  I'm a job creator.  Worship me.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

phattymatty

not the right thread but I'm lazy.  haiti president moïse assassinated this morning. First Lady shot also.

ice grillin you

it took less than an hour for qanon to explode with the clintons did it theories
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

PhillyPhreak54

why the farg would they want to assassinate a Haitian president?

QAnon people need to be shipped off to an island somewhere.

General_Failure

Send them to Haiti to protect the new President, then.

The man. The myth. The legend.

phattymatty

pretty outrageous that president Clinton met with other presidents while in office.

Rome

The DR recognized China instead of Taiwan.  Haiti refused.  Haiti's president gets a permanent third ear hole for his troubles. 

Cost of doing bidness.

Diomedes

Mother in law coming to town tonight.  She and I have come to agreement over time that it's okay we aren't besties, and when we gotta share the same space for a while, it's not easy for either of us, so we just try our best.  Should be a fine time.  She's a fantastic grandmother.

Kids are desperate to see her and showing signs of becoming civilized:  they are ashamed of the condition of our home and have been cleaning three nights in a row now.  I am the only person in the household who can actually clean something of course.  My peerless wife is maybe not the best cleaner.  But I actually made a living doing it for a few years, owned a company, with employees, etc.  So I always draw bathroom and kitchen duty.

All of this is to say:  on Tuesday I spent three hours cleaning our refrigerator and last night another three cleaning the main bathroom.  If you were to drop by my home this week, you might think for a minute that we don't live like goddamn pigs.

PhillyPhreak54