Anyone seen a good movie lately?

Started by henchmanUK, December 09, 2004, 11:44:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ice grillin you

quiet place II - such a well made movie and I think better than the OG...krasinski is such a promising director...your are on the edge of your seat for the entire time which makes it such an exhaustingly hard watch in a good way hat makes a 90 minute movie seem like three hours...and I say all this as a person who hates alien shtein...the two movies together remind me so much of the first season and a half of walking dead where it doesn't matter how stupid zombies or aliens are because it's not about that it's about the people living in the world that's been created by the zombies and aliens.  Can't wait for the next one but also can't wait for it to end to see what else krasinski can do.

7.5/10
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

SD

Conjuring 3 isn't bad. Probably liked it better than the first two but that's subjective.

Hell House (free on Amazon prime) - halfway decent Blair Witch shot style flick that deals with a Halloween haunted house that's really haunted. Part 2 they flubbed

ice grillin you

in the heights - awesomely well done and beautifully shot...couple of my favorite rappers were from washington heights so i certainly knew a decent amount about it but never been so it was cool to see it come to life after having read and heard so much about it...what a proud homage this movie paid to it if you are from there...i would say if you are not a huge fan of musicals you would still appreciate this altho you will certainly think its way long but if you on the other just downright hate musicals do not see this as its a hamilton type musical where at times they are singing the script versus something like grease that is a song set piece in between acting.

5.5/10

my octopus teacher - eh i dont understand the hype of this one...had some gorgeous photography and a couple neat parts but really the whole time i just wanted to know the end...its also such bullshtein how at the beginning of it he sys how you have to go down in this area of the ocean without a wet suit or a tank so that there is nothing between you and the wildlife...cept then you are supposed to believe this guy is holding his breath for inordinate amounts of time...yes they periodically show him go up for air but theres no chance he wasnt getting air from other people while down there...also clearly there are camera crews with wet suits and tanlks and probably even ages following him down there and filming 95% of the doc where as they try to make you believe its him and this octupus just chillin at the bottom of the ocean like hes farging aquaman

3/10

friends of eddie coyle - somehow had never seen this...boston crime noir film...its great classic looking and feeling 70's cinema in the mean streets...taxi driver...the conversation...klute feel...robert mitchum is fantastic and peter boyle is great in a way ive never seen him before

7/10

ice grillin you

no sudden move - not one of soderbergs best...far too cookie cutter for him and the quality of cast...felt like everyone was coasting from the boring script to the mailed in performances...ive read a bunch about the back story to this so i knew what it was about going in but if you didnt i think it would be kinda of confusing about what the movie is actually about until too far in...instead of being about the car industry shadiness i felt like the first half was just a generic crime caper and it was convoluted as hell...disappointing movie to say the least - 5/10

blow out - had never seen this depalma "classic"...lots homage to the conversation and play off chappaquiddick..john travolta is a sound guy who records a car crash and pieces together a conspiracy out of it...contains a little bit of 80's movie cheese and nancy allen is an atrocious actor but over all a solid myster thriller...filmed entirely in philly with some great city shots particularly of 30th street - 6/10

SD

Black Widow - first movie seen in theaters since covid. Solid Marvel flick. Great post credits scene

The Tomorrow War - free on Amazon prime. Chris Pratt...aliens...2 hour kill time movie

SD

The Hunt - liberal elites round up 12 conservatives and hunt them. Good for a satire piece in today's political climate.

rjs246

Zach Snyder is a fargin tool but if he wanted to only make zombie movies with Ving Rhames/Sarah Polley/Tig Notaro/Dave Bautista for the rest of his career that would be just fine with me.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

Rome

Binged the six-part McCartney doc on Hulu last night.  Not a huge fan of his but the insights he offered were pretty interesting.  The biggest part I took away was how awed and grateful he was just to have been a part of the Beatles. 

Also - Rick Rubin remains a god.

ice grillin you

got my ticket for the new bourdain doc for this afternoon....cant farging wait

Diomedes

I never gave a damn about him...but I hear they deepfaked his voice for that...true?
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

ice grillin you

it is true...but they didn't fake it...they are voice overs for things bourdain wrote but instead of getting an actor to do the voice over they digitally re-created bourdains voice...verbal cgi i suppose?

i don't really have a problem with that as long as it isn't super creepy and i believe you should know when its being used...imo to me it doesnt come close to being unethical or morally dubious like some people who are screaming about it do

that said id rather have a real live narrator doing it and i dont really understand the point of doing it

ice grillin you

roadrunner - this was a weird experience in that i cant tell if this is better for fans or if you knew nothing about bourdain...on one hand nothing new is presented or learned so i kinda wished this was about someone i wasnt so familiar with...on the other for a big fan it is unbelievably cathartic to see him again and presented in this way and especially to hear a bunch of his friends talk at length about him...its also not hagiography which was a concern of mine.....regarding the fake voice stuff...i personally couldnt even tell when it was being used

7.5/10

rjs246

Nothing could have prepared me for just how bad WW84 was. Holy shtein what an indecipherable clusterfarg.

Let them eat bootstraps.

PhillyPhreak54

Solution: stop watching super hero movies.

rjs246

Finally watched Moonlight. You'll be shocked to learn that it was fantastic.

Watched a couple of low budget scifi joints this week. Tides and Settlers. Both were enjoyable with moments of excellence.

Black Widow was fun. Probably in the top half of the MCU movies for me. Florence Pugh and David Harbour were excellent additions to the universe and if we're going to be subjected to an endless stream of MCU movies I hope that they stick around.

Let them eat bootstraps.