Super Bowl - Chiefs: Dreams And Nightmares

Started by MDS, January 29, 2023, 10:07:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don Ho

Agreed, I keep waking up at night with visions of the mistakes, what could have happened.  I talk about it to friends and co-workers just to get it off my chest.  It's a weird feeling, not heart broken, it's an empty feel.  An incomplete feel.  I keep asking myself "If Hurts got the ball back and there was no flag and he had time and lets say they still lost, he can't get a first down, he gets sacked for a huge loss, INT, whatever, I'd probably feel better, still pissed and angry but they got the ball back and shtein the bed, live with it".  This one is not easy. 

Now I ask myself and you all, 00:11 left, own 35 yard line, enough time for a quick strike on the sideline, get out with one or two seconds left maybe in FG range?  Trot Elliott out there 60 yarder?  That last hail Mary WAS NEVER EVER going to work.  Kind of summed up the panic that took over the second half. 

I'm telling you guys this shtein doesn't go away, I still relive SB XV and how bad the birds played, 1978 and Mike Michel missing an XP and a 34 yard FG to win it still haunts me.  Damn I still get violently ill when I think of 1997 and Tom Hutton on MNF in Dallas.  The Fog Bowl. The bedwetter. 

It sucks and it's gut wrenching.  More so becasue every fear we had came to attrition - Gannon, Special Teams, shtein at LB, no safeties, team not really battle tested.

I'm going to use what we saw from Hurts this game to get me through and the thought of one more reliable weapon to make this offense real special. 
"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.

Diomedes

Jesus Christ, I forgot about it that night.  Foles and co. lifted the burden forever.  I  can die happy.

It was a fun ride.  Jalen is awesome.  Future is bright.

Come on guys.  Good shtein for the Eagles. 
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Don Ho

"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.

Eagaholic

Quote from: Geowhizzer on February 15, 2023, 10:14:38 AM
One thing that I've finally realized as I've aged:  It's a football game.  Once it was over, it was over.

Disappointing, yes.  Demoralizing, no.  There's too much other more important stuff in the world to let a football game be what breaks your spirit.

To an extent this is how I feel. It was a huge bummer and still a big disappointment, but gone are the days where I let a sports game 'gut me', at least for any length of time. The most aggravating factor though is how all the stars seemed to align this year, and the future doesn't project to be nearly as favorable. As for the worst loss I ever suffered through, no question it was the 2003 NFCCG. Farg Blaine Bishop eternally.   

QB Eagles

Maybe my view will change as this loss becomes more distant, but I felt more wounded by the Phillies loss than the Eagles one. Can't really explain why, since the Eagles are typically way more important to me than the Bums.

A lot of it was the win five years ago, but part of it is also Patty Mahomes. He's a freak. No shame in losing to that.

I don't necessarily think this is the beginning of a new Eagles golden age, either. On paper the team's talent will certainly be worse next year. Unknowns at both coordinators. And after what happened with Wentz, I'm not willing to pencil in Hurts as a perennial MVP candidate, even if I strongly hope that's the case. Better chance than not that 2022-2023 was the closest this core group of guys will ever come to being champions.

Don Ho

I manned up and watched the second half.  Good God!  The d line was manhandled. 

And Juju was going to score on that Bradburry hold.  At first I thought it was uncatchable but no way, it was a great pass, Juju catches that he's not held, basically game over. 

This defesnive unit padded up stats against much inferior competition during the season.

I atually feel a little better now after watching.  Birds met their match on Sunday.  Hurts kept them in this game.

Don Ho

WTF does this mean??  EPA?  Success rate?  Whatever it means it was one of their worst defensive games in 22 years and this franchise has had some real zesty defenses!

From Kapadia:

The Eagles have played 400 games since 2000. Among that sample, the defensive performance in the Super Bowl ranked:

* 391st in EPA per drive
* 395th in success rate

ice grillin you

they werent great by any definition or number but considering the competition field conditions and andy reid off a bye i dont think giving up 28 pts to patrick mahomes is a once in a generation bad performance... it wasnt even their worst defensive showing this season...i think people had excessive expectations after playing daniel jones and whatever san fran had and two weeks of hearing how many sacks they had this season
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

SD

Quote from: Don Ho on February 17, 2023, 01:28:53 AM
I manned up and watched the second half.  Good God!  The d line was manhandled. 

And Juju was going to score on that Bradburry hold.  At first I thought it was uncatchable but no way, it was a great pass, Juju catches that he's not held, basically game over. 

This defesnive unit padded up stats against much inferior competition during the season.

I atually feel a little better now after watching.  Birds met their match on Sunday.  Hurts kept them in this game.

Juju scores there they get the ball back with almost 2 minutes left down by 7. I'd take that over down by 3 with .08 left

Quote from: ice grillin you on February 17, 2023, 06:51:33 AM
they werent great by any definition or number but considering the competition field conditions and andy reid off a bye i dont think giving up 28 pts to patrick mahomes is a once in a generation bad performance... it wasnt even their worst defensive showing this season...i think people had excessive expectations after playing daniel jones and whatever san fran had and two weeks of hearing how many sacks they had this season

Their numbers all season vs good qbs was horrendous. The frustrating thing for fans with Gannon all season was his defensive schemes were way too basic. Rush 4 (occasionally 5) and play zone. That's it. Talent wise the Birds had the best D in the league. The lack of adjustments and basic coverage mistakes like motion at the goaline assignments are inexcusable rookie mistakes. I hope they go with a more aggressive and innovative DC but stick to the 4-3.

Don Ho

Don Ho

Gannon was 1-9 the last two years against top 10 QBs.  Marcus Hayes and his "he'll be missed" trash.  Please!

Daniel Jones, Cooper Rush, whoever the Texans qb was. Pickett, Wentz, Hienecke, Love, Fields, crippled Rogers, Methuselah Ryan, beat up Tannehill, Midget Murray, Cousins, go get um' Johnny Boy!  shtein man, you better go 14-3!

PhillyPhreak54