Anyone had a good meal at a restaurant lately?

Started by Rome, March 08, 2006, 02:38:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanshin

Speaking of low-scale Italian places, the worst meal I think I ever had was at an Olive Garden.  I see droves of people waiting to get in every time I pass it, so I thought it couldn't possibly be that bad.  Wrong.  Everything about it was flat-out terrible.  Atmosphere, cleanliness, bread, food, service...every possible thing sucked hard.

Rome

Quote from: Geowhizzer on January 19, 2007, 08:44:15 AM
Quote from: Zanshin on January 19, 2007, 08:35:17 AM
Never been to a Bonefish.  Only thing I know about it is that it's owned by Outback.

So is Carrabba's (at least they're all owned by the same company).

I almost blasted you until I saw this:

http://www.osirestaurantpartnersinc.com/insidethecompany.asp

Rome

How can Carraba's be so farging awful and Bonefish be so damn excellent?

Wow.

:-\

ice grillin you

chains in general suck ass....cept for the el nino margaritas at chilis
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

PoopyfaceMcGee

The same company (Brinker) owns Chili's (not awful), Macaroni Grill (barf), On The Border (greasy, awful, delicious), and Maggiano's (by FAR the nicest of the group).

But yeah - a parent company does not a restaurant make.

After all, Philip Morris makes Marlboro Reds and Virginia Slims Menthol 120's.  They also make crackers and cheese.

Wingspan

The best italian restaurant on the slightly upscale side is D'Angelos in center city Philly. 20th and Samson or so.

Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

Zanshin

MURP

Wingspan

i ate at Maggiano's two or three times...i wasnt all that impressed with it.
Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

MURP

Huge portions for a decent price and it tastes good.   That doesnt work for you Wing?   :deion

PoopyfaceMcGee

Diomedes

Repeat after me...chain food sucks.  All of it. 

You know why?  Because it's all processed crap.  You're basically eating out the back of a Cisco truck.  Nasty ass food loaded with all kinds of bad shtein you don't need.  More preservatives, flavorings, colorings, and trans fats than you can shake an obese fist at.

Honestly...I might eat fast food (which includes all the crap mentioned in the last round of posting here) 6 times a year. 

Show some self respect and eat decent food from a real restaurant.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

SunMo

the spicy tendercrisp is back at BK, i'm going to get one at lunch
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

Wingspan

Quote from: MURP on January 19, 2007, 10:30:28 AM
Huge portions for a decent price and it tastes good.   That doesnt work for you Wing?   :deion

I dont think it tastes all that good. Besides, the prices aren't all that decent, go to any hole in the wall Italian restaurant in the city, or even into the burbs, and you'll find better prices and the quality of food.

Chain restaurants are ok, if you're in the mood for something basic. Whether it's burgers, steaks, mexican...but all chain Italian restaurants suck. The might as well be called "Over garliced noodle houses." For a good italian restaurant, you need the guy in the back with the cigarette hanging out of his mouth thats been there 40 years, and will throw away an entire batch of marinara sauce because he put too much basil in it, regardless of the price point.

Try D'Angelo's in CC, or Anthony's in Malvern, any of the Maplewoods in south jersey...delicious.
Connection Problems

rjs246

Massive portions at chain restaurants is a HUGE reason that this country is so farging overweight. I enjoy the occasional meal at chains like Chilis or Cheesecake Factory or whatever as much as the next guy, but universally I either eat about half of what I'm served or feel absolutely disgusting after I finish my meal. Restaurants could literally cut their portions by 40-50% and you would still be getting more food than you need.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.